Best title reigns considering in ring performances

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk

What it the best title reigns considering exclusively in ring performances among these choises?

Shawn Michaels 1996 (WWF)
5%
Chris Benoit 2004 (WWE)
No votes
Samoa Joe 2003-2004 (ROH)
No votes
Bryan Danielson 2005-2006 (ROH)
30%
Nigel McGuinness 2007-2009 (ROH)
No votes
Mitsuharu Misawa 1992-1994 (AJPW)
No votes
Mitsuharu Misawa 1995-1996 (AJPW)
10%
Hiroshi Tanahashi 2011-2012 (NJPW)
No votes
Kazuchika Okada 2016-2018 (NJPW)
40%
Kenta Kobashi 2003-2005 (NOAH)
15%

Total votes: 20

yesdanielbryan98

Best title reigns considering in ring performances

Post by yesdanielbryan98 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:20 am

What it the best title reigns considering exclusively in ring performances among these choises?
Yuo have 3 choises.

I considered AJPW/WWE/NJPW/NOAH/ROH best title reigns from an in ring standpoint since 90s.

Thank you very much

supersonic

Re: Best title reigns considering in ring performances

Post by supersonic » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Why are the first two listed? Neither was dripping with classic matches during their reign, they each just had a handful at most. Cena's 2006-07 is a much superior choice to either.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am

Bryan Danielson. Haven't seen enough NJPW to comment on Okada or Tana. Nigel and Joe had definitive reigns, but they couldn't match Danielson for match-quality.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am

Although I think I would probably rate Aries vs. Nigel from SCOH3 over anything in Danielson's reign, believe it or not.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:03 pm

supersonic wrote:Why are the first two listed? Neither was dripping with classic matches during their reign, they each just had a handful at most. Cena's 2006-07 is a much superior choice to either.
Because of Sid's epic MSG performance when one of the worst drawing title reigns in WWF history was powerbombed into oblivion :D

WWE title reigns usually are a mixed bag. CM Punks 2012/2014 reign has quite some great matches against Bryan, Jericho and Cena. Edge's 4th title reign was excellent. Brock Lesnar 2014-2015 as well. Or is the best in ring title reign in WWE history is ROMAN REIGNS 2016?!

Anyway, I go with Okada.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 pm

supersonic wrote:Why are the first two listed? Neither was dripping with classic matches during their reign, they each just had a handful at most. Cena's 2006-07 is a much superior choice to either.
I disagree, HBK's 1996 reign is pretty great for in-ring:

Good Friends, Better Enemies is one of Diesel's best matches ever
Mind Games vs. Mankind speaks for itself
The Bulldog matches aren't perfect but I still enjoy them all these years later
MSG vs. Sid is an amazing atmosphere and a pretty awesome match too

I think there ARE better options for sure but I don't think that reign is totally out of line being on the list.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm

While I have no problem with the two listed, I do agree that the Cena run from late '06 through late '07 should be on the list.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I picked Okada mainly because of the high level that New Japan has been on during that time and the diversity of workers he's defended against. It was tight with Danielson and I also have a soft spot for the Nigel reign because it gave so many new guys a chance at the main event.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:

I think there ARE better options for sure but I don't think that reign is totally out of line being on the list.
Thanks for proving my point. Four classics in 8 months.

yesdanielbryan98

Post by yesdanielbryan98 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:

However I didn't think to Cena's reign.
About Shawn Michaels reign there are some problems: he delivered some great ppv matches, but some of his house show's matches were pretty bad. I'm reading the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of 1996 and, especially in the matches against Vader he delivered bad matches (house shows). Although Vader worked hard, Michaels didn't like to work with him, so he his matches were bad.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm

yesdanielbryan98 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:

However I didn't think to Cena's reign.
About Shawn Michaels reign there are some problems: he delivered some great ppv matches, but some of his house show's matches were pretty bad. I'm reading the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of 1996 and, especially in the matches against Vader he delivered bad matches (house shows). Although Vader worked hard, Michaels didn't like to work with him, so he his matches were bad.
The Vader matches I saw were not bad as much as they didn't play to Vader's strengths. Vader really got a bad hand having the feuds with Hogan and Michaels in successive years.