WrestleMania 35 Weekend (NYC Metro Area)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
K. Hare

Re: WrestleMania 35 Weekend (NYC Metro Area)

Post by K. Hare » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:35 am

They do not run in Howell anymore. That building was sold.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 pm

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:58 pm

So...the Marriott would be super ambitious and quite honestly, I'm not sure management would be willing to turn their hotel over the wrestling lunatics. I don't know where else they could go in Times Square that would suit their needs. There is the Playstation theater which could hold the shows but maybe not the convention.

Hulu theater has the size ROH would need, but it's terrible for wrestling since it's set up like a concert hall with all the fans behind the ring. I saw NXT there and wasn't impressed. There's also the WWE desire to keep other wrestling promotions out of their tradiitional home.

Unless they go with an outdoor stadium, I would imagine they stick with Hammerstein and do two shows.

So, what about WWN? Well, Javits is pretty big so it would be great for Axxess. so, why not use the WWE connection to get a portion of that for WWE?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 pm

So, about this place:
-Not actually Times Square. It's closer to Rockefeller Center which is typically a zoo as well, but a much more manageable one.
-This is pretty centralized near most of the train lines even if there isn't one big hub like Times Square.
-Space itself is very nice. I've been to numerous professional events, so this is a very good get by the Wrestlecon crew.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Obviously I'll need to see what the actual events are, and where everyone else is, but I like it. Close to subway and itself close to Port Authority for getting to Secaucus, and lots of touristy stuff, so I could do that stuff during the day then the shows in the afternoon and beyond. 30 minute subway ride to Barclays for NXT.

Bix

Post by Bix » Tue May 29, 2018 5:02 pm

mlev76 wrote:
supersonic wrote:Full quote from Joe Lanza on this week's Voices of Wrestling Flagship Podcast. Time stamp 1:11:28
I have nothing to back this up. There's no validity to this. I don't want threads started on Reddit after this show. Word on the street, Rich - and this is just unverified bullshit - word on the street is next year with WrestleMania in New York City (NY/NJ) - of course that's where Game Changer [Wrestling] is located - Game Changer may just attempt to do their own thing and run Bloodsport one night, Spring Break another night, and then just a regular Game Changer show the other night. Now again, listen, it is totally [audio difficulty]... The problem is how far from New York City would they run?
Lanza made it clear he did NOT get this potential scoop from GCW promoter Brett Lauderdale.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2018/0 ... e-in-nola/
GCW's been running Howell and Blackwood NJ, both of which are pretty far from both Metlife and NYC. They could conceivably partner up with one of the other local promotions that they have common roster members with (ICW for example) and maybe branch out beyond WWN.
ICW is effectively a GCW satellite promotion, anyway, so that's definitely within the realm of possibility, but venue choice is definitely a problem. The scuttlebutt has been WWN running the Rahway Rec Center, which is probably their best option, but may be too small for Spring Break at this point. Between Spring Break, Bloodsport, an ICW show since it's an NYC Mania, and maybe even another GCW concept show, the idea of that contingent running on their own isn't that ridiculous.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 pm

Bix wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
supersonic wrote:Full quote from Joe Lanza on this week's Voices of Wrestling Flagship Podcast. Time stamp 1:11:28

Lanza made it clear he did NOT get this potential scoop from GCW promoter Brett Lauderdale.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2018/0 ... e-in-nola/
GCW's been running Howell and Blackwood NJ, both of which are pretty far from both Metlife and NYC. They could conceivably partner up with one of the other local promotions that they have common roster members with (ICW for example) and maybe branch out beyond WWN.
ICW is effectively a GCW satellite promotion, anyway, so that's definitely within the realm of possibility, but venue choice is definitely a problem. The scuttlebutt has been WWN running the Rahway Rec Center, which is probably their best option, but may be too small for Spring Break at this point. Between Spring Break, Bloodsport, an ICW show since it's an NYC Mania, and maybe even another GCW concept show, the idea of that contingent running on their own isn't that ridiculous.
Gabe really should call in a favor from WWE and try to get WWN and Axxess to share space wherever the latter lands. I have no clue if the JJC is remotely a possibility, but given that the actual shows besides Mania will be in Brooklyn, doing Axxess in Jersey (and WWN) will be a freaking nightmare.

And with Wrestlecon a 10 minute walk from my office and a 15 minute cab ride from my house, likelihood I attend anything in Jersey but Mania is probably zero.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:53 pm

If they do this, it could open the Hammerstein up for WWN. Having all the indie shows in Manhattan (apart from the true locals) would be great.

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:48 pm

Once it got out MSG was contacting companies about running shows it was very obvious it was just a power move to force WWE into running there more often. ROH got played, but I doubt there was anything illegal done. AFAIK there wasn't even an agreed date for the show.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Takachulo wrote:
Once it got out MSG was contacting companies about running shows it was very obvious it was just a power move to force WWE into running there more often. ROH got played, but I doubt there was anything illegal done. AFAIK there wasn't even an agreed date for the show.
Illegality doesn't play into it, but if MSG and ROH had an agreement of any kind, we may some court action. MSG is run by idiots, so I wouldn't be shocked.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:00 am

Koff sure seemed to be suggesting legal action was coming in that interview with PW Insider. If nothing was set, he could still be throwing the idea of ROH @ MSG out there like a carrot on a stick they could reach later on or downplaying it happening at all as to not look like they got something taken from them. That interview read like someone upset about a deal falling apart. MSG has to be getting more WWE dates out of this to give an ROH one, but I think they had an ROH one pretty well figured out.

That Sinclair interview got the All In guys upset about the suggestion ROH is funding their show (true or not, they didn't want that said) and made sure WWE knew about any secret ROH plans of going to MSG if they didn't already. Perhaps not the most helpful of interviews!

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:29 pm

NHL home games within a week of WrestleMania 35:

New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers - Monday 4/1 @ 7PM (Prudential Center in Newark)

New York Islanders vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - Monday 4/1 @ 7PM (Barclays Center in Brooklyn)

New York Rangers vs. Ottawa Senators - Wednesday 4/3 @ 7:30PM (Madison Square Garden)

New York Rangers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets - Friday 4/5 @ 7PM (Madison Square Garden)