Wrestlemania-The Matches, The Memories (VI-X)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Wrestlemania-The Matches, The Memories (VI-X)

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:53 pm

The first Wrestlemania of the 1990s was the second most attended Wrestlemania to that point and remains one of the biggest crowds in wrestling history. It surprises me that they didn't start running stadiums and domes exclusively once this show was done, but the economics of the company weren't clearly as stable as they are today.

The show itself is actually pretty dreadful beyond the main event. 7 of the 14 matches don't even go 5 minutes and only 2 go more than 10. This is not to say that there isn't some fun stuff on the undercard: The Savage/Sherri vs. Dusty/Sapphire match is ok and is Rhodes only Mania match. The Rockers/Orient Express match is good, but too short and they had better matches later.

The main event, like many older matches, comes off worse on each rewatching, but it was definitely a good match with an amazing aura to it and the right ending. Warrior's match with Savage the next year is easily better on all fronts and the follow up kept him from truly ascending to Hogan's level. In retrospect, that wasn't the worst thing in the world given how he'd act over the rest of the decade.

In good consciousness, I can't recommend this show, but everyone should (and probably has) see Warrior vs. Hogan at least once.

Ckkj14

Re: Wrestlemania-The Matches, The Memories (VI-X)

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:06 pm

Wrestlemania 7 was the video tape I must have watched 50 times as a kid. I'm sure their was an edit In the Savage v Warrior match on the VHS too.
That will always be one of my all time favorites though just for the nostalgia it holds, it's still a very good match today and definitely Warriors greatest match.
The Rockers v Haku and Barbarian is also a very good opener. As a kid I loved how many matches were on his show too even if a lot of them were short.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:Wrestlemania 7 was the video tape I must have watched 50 times as a kid. I'm sure their was an edit In the Savage v Warrior match on the VHS too.
That will always be one of my all time favorites though just for the nostalgia it holds, it's still a very good match today and definitely Warriors greatest match.
The Rockers v Haku and Barbarian is also a very good opener. As a kid I loved how many matches were on his show too even if a lot of them were short.
Funny you say that, I used to be the same way. I LOVED WrestleMania V and WrestleMania VII because there were so many matches, you got to see everyone, everyone's entrance, the music and shit most of the guys weren't great either so it was fine that they were in and out of the ring. Still to this day I sometime prefer shows like this over some of the same era NWA/WCW shows where you'd have a 20-minute opener.

Overall of course I prefer longer, better matches but there's something about the 10+ quickie match cards in this era that I love.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:35 pm

I managed to obtain VHS tapes of Wrestlemania VI and VII on the schoolyard and I was thrilled. I watched Warrior entrances time and time again, which was quite a hassle with VHS. Warrior vs Savage was the most epic match of my wrestling youth. I also loved WM XIII with Flair vs Savage and the Warrior surprise return. Just watch Sid look irritated and then Warrior run in.

WM X was different. It encompassed a story from Bret vs Owen, Yok vs Luger to Bret vs Yoko. That was different. Bret vs Owen was for a long time the best match I had ever seeen, and I still say t was the first "wrestling" match I have see. Owen looking at Bret at the end of the show was priceless.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Warrior/Hogan is a 3 star match with a 5 star crowd. It's crazy how loud the crowd is for the entire match. The atmosphere is just incredible, and really elevates the match to something really special.

Warrior/Savage and Warrior/Hogan are honestly two of my favorite WrestleMania matches.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:41 pm

VII may be one of the most insane wrestling shows ever produced. I don't mean that metaphorically, I literally mean there are so many crazy aspects to it:

1) The whole change of venue is, in and of itself, a great story of ambition being trumped by reality and how people who've always succeeded because of the former having to deal with the latter. Part of me thinks if they had done the logical follow up to VI and gone with Hogan-Warrior II and booked it in the same manner as Cena-Rock II, you probably could have pulled off the Coliseum.

2) The whole Slaughter/Hogan storyline starting as your typical WWF storyline, having an actual war break out in the midst of it directly related to the storyline and Vince not backing down or changing gears. 15-20 years later, Slaughter's Iraq sympathies would have 100% been dropped as soon as the war started, but Vince was still feeling invincible.

3) The blindfold match may be the weirdest big show match WWF ever put on to that point. It seems like such carny Florida/Memphis type gimmick that seeing WWF do it seems so out of place.

4) I still can't believe Tenryu has a Wrestlemania appearance. He may be, until this year, the only native born big time Japanese star to have wrestled at a Wrestlemania. I know Taka was on a few, but I'm not sure if he counts.

Aside from that, I feel like I hated this show as a kid, but definitely came around as I got older. The Retirement match may be one of the best moments in Mania history and is easily Warrior's best match in ring wise. Plenty of other good stuff and it has Undertaker's first Mania win as well.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:56 pm

As a kid I absolutely loved the blindfold match! I also absolutely loved the mini Jerry Lawlers v Mini Doinks at Survivor Series too though!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm

VIII very much felt in every way like an "end of an era" type show in the same way X-7 feels now in the retrospect. Hogan going out one last time probably should have been it for him, but I get why he was given one more shot. The return of Warrior at the end did come off huge which makes the crappiness of his run (the Wembley match with Savage being the exception) so annoying.

The best stuff was Shawn Michaels' first Mania singles match, the Intercontinental title match and Flair/Savage. It was a much shorter show match number wise than previous shows and felt like one of the better Manias to that point. Not sure how it holds up today.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm

IX is, to me, easily the worst Wrestlemania ever. It felt incredibly disjointed at the time and not an especially good in ring show. Having 1/3 of the matches on a nine match show end in a fuck finish didn't help.

The main event debacle was really reprehensible and did literally no one any favors. The fact that Hogan basically disappeared afterwards and didn't have a singles match till he put over Yoko at KOTR really makes decision look incredibly stupid.

If I were to point to highlights, the Steiners/Headshrinkers and Doink/Crush would probably be the best matches. The Mega Maniacs/Money Inc until the end wasn't bad either, but they really should have left it at that.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

X may be in my top 5 favorite Manias and may even challenge for number one. It was the perfect antidote for the garbage that was IX-a highlight filled show with zero Hogan involvement and big time performances from Bret, Owen, Shawn, Razor and Yoko.

The Owen/Bret and Michaels/Razor matches are well know, well tread topics and easy targets for love. But, my third favorite match of the show was Savage/Crush. It was a great way to send Savage out into the sunset and a fun match to boot. I would have thought it would have elevated Crush and it's easily my favorite match of his ever.

I was a huge Bret fan (still a fan of his in ring work if not entirely in love with him as a character/person) and the ending was one of the better 'happy endings' in Mania history. Plus, it's MSG and I'll always mark out for any show there.