Dragonzombie

Re: THE XFL THREAD

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Faster eh? No felons eh? No politics?

Should had went with UFL.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:55 am

I do not follow American Football, but i am really curious what makes Vince think he can make another Sport league main stream in USA.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 am

rollup wrote:I do not follow American Football, but i am really curious what makes Vince think he can make another Sport league main stream in USA.
Rich people who start with family money and success often believe they are gifted at all en-devours and therefore believe they succeed in anything they want. I also believe VKM seeing Linda "legitimized" with her cabinet position made him want to self-actualize beyond simple "carny wrestling promoter".

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 am

the whole presentation came across as if they stumbled on a lot of the Top 10 Things People Hate About The NFL! listicle and their only strategy is to specifically say they're not doing any of those things, not realizing some of those are reasons are conflicting or coming from opposing fan views.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 am

Its a shame that Vince thinks he can be the peer of the NFL.

If he would be ok with being an alternative that is a defacto developmental mixed with your washout veterans rehabbing their career, he could have some long term success. But, that isn't Vince's style.

It'd be especially interesting if they offered an avenue as an alternative for college football. You want STARS? Pay more than Alabama and get top amateur athletes.

But again, not Vince's style, unfortunately.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm

thecubsfan wrote:the whole presentation came across as if they stumbled on a lot of the Top 10 Things People Hate About The NFL! listicle and their only strategy is to specifically say they're not doing any of those things, not realizing some of those are reasons are conflicting or coming from opposing fan views.
As a lapsed football fan, a lot of the points resonated with me. Football in the early 2000s was by far the most watchable and fun. The greatest show on turf, the pats defense taking dudes heads off, etc. But, much like Pride fighting that style ain't comin back baby. Sure, the NFL and especially Goddell have messed up a ton but a second tier league just doesn't work in America. A nostalgia play like American Gladiators would have been lower risk IMO.

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:06 pm

As someone that never watches the NFL, what has changed about the game that people hate?
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm

Weirzbowski wrote:As someone that never watches the NFL, what has changed about the game that people hate?
Due to (completely valid) concerns about CTE, the NFL has changed the rules to make the game safer. Think of it like watching WWE boddy roode bore style vs an Omega/Ishii all out match. Additionally, the quality of play has suffered a bit, only a handful of quarter backs are good enough to lead superbowl caliber teams. If you do not have a good quarterback, your team is destined to suck, and there are maybe ten good QBs in the league. There are some social elements to the game that upset both the right and the left. The right is mad that players like Colin Kaepernick have used the national anthem as a way to bring attention to police brutality, and unfair justice doled out to black dudes. The left hates how weak the players stand in terms of collective bargaining. Players do not get guaranteed contracts, and outside of class of maybe 300 players, NFL guys are not getting rich. The NFL has also taken taxpayer dollars to distribute military propaganda. Even the popular Madden game has a mode where you can practice and play for Iraq soldiers.

The games take forever, typically 3 hours and sometimes longer if the game is nationally televised with more commercials crammed in. Most of this time is BS on the sidelines or long-ass commercial breaks. You can watch a football game on DVR in 45 min but no one does that because sports are meant to be consumed live.

The commentary on football is pretty poor as well. They usually dumb themselves down to much. Most football fans are pretty hardcore and sophisticated yet the commentary teams do not treat them as such.

The final elephant in the room is my fav team, The New England Patriots. They almost always win, have the great athlete of all time at the helm, have a devious yet otherworldly talented head coach. You couldn't book a better heel in wrestling. But imagine said heel dominating a decade of a promotion, that would get annoying.

This starting to sound a bit like the critiques leveled on the WWE from the right and the left, isn't it?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 pm

rollup wrote:I do not follow American Football, but i am really curious what makes Vince think he can make another Sport league main stream in USA.
Nfl is in decline so he will attack them. Their tv ratings are down and I've seen not so full crowds in certain markets. Cord cutting and kneelers have effected NFL. Driving off nationalist conservatives who care about the flag over social issues.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:18 am

Dragonzombie wrote:
Nfl is in decline so he will attack them. Their tv ratings are down and I've seen not so full crowds in certain markets. Cord cutting and kneelers have effected NFL. Driving off nationalist conservatives who care about the flag over social issues.
NFL is in decline but college football is not. CFB Playoff ratings were up almost 40%.

Much like wrestling has no real marketshare available, football has less.

There is a niche to fill, but Vince doesn't seem interested in filling a niche.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 am

Vince doesn't want to fill a niche. He wants to harm NFL in any way he can. Also picking up possible lapsed fans to scoop up.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:55 am

Dragonzombie wrote:
I think the kneeling (which is what Vince definitely thinks is the sole reason for declining ratings because he's a CHUD) has been really overstated and the problems with the NFL have been cord cutters, very shitty parity in the AFC (Where its basically the Patriots run roughshot over everyone in ways that sometimes seem illegitimate), people becoming concern with player wellbeing, and dumb shit rules that make WWE screwball finishes look perfect (ie when a guy catches a ball and makes a football move to the endzone to win a game its waved off because no it was actually not a catch for some stupid arbitrary reason).

Basically this is the most expensive and costly way for Vince to own the libs and I doubt it'll actually come to fruition come 2020.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:27 am

Kneeling has done the most damage to NFL tv ratings with the recent massive decline. Whereas cord cutting is slowly over time. It wasn't so long ago that cte issues and felon-players and awful rules came up but most fans glossed over and rewarded NFL with higher ratings compared to now.

There's a section of right wing fans told by Trump to protest and they did.

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:34 am

TY for the explaination Ferrante207. I guess I never noticed a difference in play since the CTE thing but I don't watch enough. It is amazing how much it compares to the WWE.

Throw in the Madden games being shitty and worse than games that came out nearly 20 years ago, the WWE and NFL are the same.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron