My Best Match #5 - Kurt Angle

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Ckkj14

My Best Match #5 - Kurt Angle

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Next up - Kurt Angle, arguably one of the greatest of all time. Anyway my vote -

Kurt Angle v Chris Benoit - Royal Rumble 2003

A technical master-class that really should have got the full *****. Anyway lets hear everyone else's opinions.

mlev76

Re: My Best Match #5 - Kurt Angle

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:Next up - Kurt Angle, arguably one of the greatest of all time. Anyway my vote -

A technical master-class that really should have got the full *****. Anyway lets hear everyone else's opinions.
Obviously, a great match on all levels.

To me, the match that showcased Angle's greatness and helped kickstart a nice second life for a career was his match with The Undertaker from No Way Out 2006. This was a few months before he was released and really took Taker from someone who was almost all gimmick and made him appear to be a great worker. He didn't consistently have great matches afterward, but I have to think a lot of what we got from Taker later on stemmed from people seeing he could do the 4+ star matches that smarter fans liked

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:Next up - Kurt Angle, arguably one of the greatest of all time. Anyway my vote -

Obviously, a great match on all levels.

To me, the match that showcased Angle's greatness and helped kickstart a nice second life for a career was his match with The Undertaker from No Way Out 2006. This was a few months before he was released and really took Taker from someone who was almost all gimmick and made him appear to be a great worker. He didn't consistently have great matches afterward, but I have to think a lot of what we got from Taker later on stemmed from people seeing he could do the 4+ star matches that smarter fans liked
Not saying these two matches I'll mention are his best matches at all but your point about the Taker Match reminded me of two instances Angle really raised the level of others; the 3-Way vs Rock and Taker and his Hardcore match with Shane McMahon at KOTR. What a pleasant surprise those ended up being. The 3-way holds up really well to this day, and going back to that hardcore has always been a super guilty pleasure of mine.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Kurt Angle vs Shane McMahon, King of the Ring. One of my favorite matches to show people.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania 21. A match that I've loved for years now. Both guys, arguably in the prime of their careers, going out and laying it all out in the ring. One of my favorite WWE matches ever.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Angle versus Rey Mysterio, Summerslam 2002. This is a hot take, but here goes- I'm not sure how many pairings of wrestlers in history had better chemistry together than Angle and Rey did. Just a super fun match, one of my favourite PPV openers ever.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 am

(not listed: Kurt Angle vs He who shall not be named at Wrestlemania 201)

Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania 21

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Benoit at the Rumble, certainly.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic