All In: September 1

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Frank Olson

Re: All In: September 1

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:02 am

Just finished watching this and thought it was a quality show for the most part. I thought they did a really good job of calling back to and paying off their bits from Being the Elite while also not overdoing the goofiness. As everyone else has already noted the Excalibur, Riccobani and Callis announce team worked really well together and amazingly never seemed to step over each other.

Matt Cross/MJF was a solid opening match, although it probably would've made more sense to throw those two in the pre-show battle royal than to add an unannounced match to an already overstuffed show. Nothing wrong with the match itself though.

Daniels/Amell was fine for a celebrity match. I hadn't seen Amell's other handful of wrestling matches, but I thought he carried himself well despite clearly being green.

The women's match was good, although I wish that it had been for the Knockouts Title or something to give it some stakes. As it was the story of the match was just kind of "here's four women." Their work was nice and smooth though, and overall I thought it was a fun match.

I enjoyed the NWA Title match a lot more than I expected to. I don't like Cody and Aldis seems super boring judging by the small sampling size of matches I've seen (which I think is just this one and the first Tim Storm match), but this was a case where smoke and mirrors were really smartly deployed to cover for the blandness of these guys as workers. There was a big fight feel from the moment that these guys walked out with their entourages, and all of the pomp and circumstance definitely made up for any deficiencies in the actual body of the match.

Page/Janela was a quality plunder match that was probably the best example of this show incorporating storyline elements from Being the Elite without having those overwhelm the wrestling. The Death Valley Driver and Rites of Passage spots onto the ladder were impressively brutal. And while I find Joey Ryan's shtick to generally be very tedious, I have to admit that the Penis Druids thing was a funny conclusion to the goofy "Hangman murdered Joey Ryan" story.

The Jay Lethal/Flip Gordon match reminded me of one of those Saturday Night Live skits that has a funny basic premise but then just goes on way too long without really developing it. Lethal's Randy Savage impression is funny, and the thing where he was treating Brandi Rhodes like she was Miss Elizabeth was cute, but there wasn't much to the match beyond that.

Omega/Pentagon was my favorite thing on the show. It reminded me a bit of Omega's Tokyo Dome match with Jericho. Like that January 4th match, it wasn't any kind of Match of the Year Candidate, but it really delivered in terms of giving you everything you would want from a dream match between the two competitors. I liked that they kept the match clean with no real gimmickry involved, and this was one of the few segments on the show that I thought felt like it was exactly the length it needed to be.

I thought that Okada and Scurll told a good story. In a vaccuum I didn't find the match too excessively long, although it is pretty ridiculous that they went 25 minutes when the show was probably already behind schedule at this point. It probably should've just ended with Okada's first Rainmaker. Still, I thought they did a good job of telling the story that Okada was clearly the better man without making Scurll look like a chump.

The main event 6-man was really wild. It's hard to say whether them having to rush through it hurt or helped the match. On the one hand I imagine that they might have had some crazy spots planned that they just didn't have time to get to, but on the other hand crazy spotfests are typically at their best when they are sprints. It was definitely cool to see Ibushi and Mysterio face off, and I thought that Rey looked a lot better in this match than in either of his recent New Japan performances. Bandido, who I don't believe I've ever seen before, is the guy who really stood out to me as the MVP of the match though.

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 am

So this is my review of the whole weekend.
I went arrived at Starrcast in the afternoon Friday and bought a 3 day pass. This was probably a mistake as I pretty much hated the crowds and the heat but I figured I would be in the area so why not. I was doing a meet and greet with Best Friends but they weren't in the vendor room. I think a lot of the time the talent was scheduled was different than what was advertised. But I eventually found them and did the deal getting Chuck to do a Fourth Gunn pose with me in our picture. Left to go to the Airbnb I was staying at for the night.

Saturday I went to the WOR Q&A. It was pretty good. Expectations were defied when no one tried to refight Survivor Series 97. Only 1 question about Shawn/Undertaker star rating. Was surprised most of all by the woman from Canada that had only been a wrestling fan for 3 months coming to this, pretty cool. Got to meet Mookie, Brandon Thurston, and Brian Pillman Jr. I went over to Starrcast and did another awkward walk through but I bought some merch from highspots and talked to Mike from Highspots about how much I enjoyed the Highspots Network.

All In
Arrived about 4pm. Found my seat and was pleased that as a tall fatty my legs could fit. The merch lines were long and I didn't even bother.
I think the opening match was when I knew it was a BTE crowd. I always thought SCU were heels and was surprised by the cheers for them and the boos for the Briscoes. It was a really good match. Both teams worked really hard.

Battle Royal
As everyone said, it was good and too much Bully Ray. I was bummed that my guys were eliminated so early but that was to be expected. From my seat I had a clear view of Chico so I knew it wouldn't be over until he got up. The Grace spot was great and I hope she gets more attention coming out of All In.

MJF/Matt Cross
Good match. Probably pointless to have on the main card but I am in favor of anything getting Matt Cross more exposure. I felt Cross winning was probably the biggest surprise on the show as I figured it would go to the up and comer in MJF.

Daniels/Amell
Went too long but I was impressed with the bumps a hollywood guy would take.

4-way women's match
No surprise about who won considering the promotion of the women but it was good with a flat finish.

I got up during the cody/aldis match and missed a portion of the match while getting something to eat. I just didn't care, I hadn't watched 10 pounds of gold. I laughed and cheered when Brandi got the elbow and realized that it wasn't that kinda crowd. Like when I laughed in No Country for Old Men when he shot the dog. The diamond cutter on Davari looked cool. I did start standing against the wall at this point as sitting as the seat was longer comfortable.

Page/Janela was awesome. It was what I wanted it to be. Awesome plunder with memorable insane spots. I could have done without the Penis-druids but it was what it was.

During this time there was a very drunk guy that was also standing that kept talking to me. It was awkward.

I enoyed Lethal when he was doing the Macho gimmick but other wise it was just a match. The show was starting to feel long for me at this point.

Omega/Penta was great. Lots of fun and cool to see that the BC crowd didn't shit on Penta. Was a great match, my second favorite on the show.
The Jericho surprise was cool even though it was just an ad for the Jericho bruise cruise.

Okada/Scrull
Was too long and plodding. I wish they had worked at a faster pace. It was good but it just kinda felt like an Okada match against a shorter guy. It didn't have a Juniors vs Heavyweight match because Scrull's style isn't very Junior-like anyhow.

Gold Elite vs Fenix, Mysterio, and Bandido. Star making performance for Bandido. Shame that Mysterio's big matches always get their time cut. The Bucks as always did great work. Was still great even though it got cut short. Sad that we won't get to see a singles Ibushi/Mysterio match. My favorite match of the show.

Great show overall but it definitely felt like it was 5 hours long.

Went to the VOW meet up but my social awkwardness caught up to me and I didn't bring anything to the table there.

Sunday I went back over to Starrcast and watched Wrestlenomics live. It was great although I had to listen again on the way home because the speakers in the lobby weren't loud enough to hear anything Brandon was saying. Briefly spoke to Bryan Alvarez about my enjoyment of Death of WCW over the years. Got to see Joey Janela put on the Gobbledy Gooker mask and that man was excited to do it. I was leaving Starrcast at the same time Macaulay Culken was and I got to see him hounded by the professional autograph seekers that didn't want to pay to do a meet and greet. Those people are shitty. Rey was arriving as well and I am sure he got hounded once they realized who it was.

Overall it was a cool weekend. I probably wouldn't pay for Starrcast again but I'm not a convention guy so YMMV.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:21 am

Oh yeah, one other thing. The wristband for the 3 day pass to Starrcast was an ad for erectile dysfunction pills so that was awkward.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:52 pm

Weirzbowski wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:04 am
So this is my review of the whole weekend.
I went arrived at Starrcast in the afternoon Friday and bought a 3 day pass. This was probably a mistake as I pretty much hated the crowds and the heat but I figured I would be in the area so why not. I was doing a meet and greet with Best Friends but they weren't in the vendor room. I think a lot of the time the talent was scheduled was different than what was advertised. But I eventually found them and did the deal getting Chuck to do a Fourth Gunn pose with me in our picture. Left to go to the Airbnb I was staying at for the night.

Saturday I went to the WOR Q&A. It was pretty good. Expectations were defied when no one tried to refight Survivor Series 97. Only 1 question about Shawn/Undertaker star rating. Was surprised most of all by the woman from Canada that had only been a wrestling fan for 3 months coming to this, pretty cool. Got to meet Mookie, Brandon Thurston, and Brian Pillman Jr. I went over to Starrcast and did another awkward walk through but I bought some merch from highspots and talked to Mike from Highspots about how much I enjoyed the Highspots Network.

All In
Arrived about 4pm. Found my seat and was pleased that as a tall fatty my legs could fit. The merch lines were long and I didn't even bother.
I think the opening match was when I knew it was a BTE crowd. I always thought SCU were heels and was surprised by the cheers for them and the boos for the Briscoes. It was a really good match. Both teams worked really hard.

Battle Royal
As everyone said, it was good and too much Bully Ray. I was bummed that my guys were eliminated so early but that was to be expected. From my seat I had a clear view of Chico so I knew it wouldn't be over until he got up. The Grace spot was great and I hope she gets more attention coming out of All In.

MJF/Matt Cross
Good match. Probably pointless to have on the main card but I am in favor of anything getting Matt Cross more exposure. I felt Cross winning was probably the biggest surprise on the show as I figured it would go to the up and comer in MJF.

Daniels/Amell
Went too long but I was impressed with the bumps a hollywood guy would take.

4-way women's match
No surprise about who won considering the promotion of the women but it was good with a flat finish.

I got up during the cody/aldis match and missed a portion of the match while getting something to eat. I just didn't care, I hadn't watched 10 pounds of gold. I laughed and cheered when Brandi got the elbow and realized that it wasn't that kinda crowd. Like when I laughed in No Country for Old Men when he shot the dog. The diamond cutter on Davari looked cool. I did start standing against the wall at this point as sitting as the seat was longer comfortable.

Page/Janela was awesome. It was what I wanted it to be. Awesome plunder with memorable insane spots. I could have done without the Penis-druids but it was what it was.

During this time there was a very drunk guy that was also standing that kept talking to me. It was awkward.

I enoyed Lethal when he was doing the Macho gimmick but other wise it was just a match. The show was starting to feel long for me at this point.

Omega/Penta was great. Lots of fun and cool to see that the BC crowd didn't shit on Penta. Was a great match, my second favorite on the show.
The Jericho surprise was cool even though it was just an ad for the Jericho bruise cruise.

Okada/Scrull
Was too long and plodding. I wish they had worked at a faster pace. It was good but it just kinda felt like an Okada match against a shorter guy. It didn't have a Juniors vs Heavyweight match because Scrull's style isn't very Junior-like anyhow.

Gold Elite vs Fenix, Mysterio, and Bandido. Star making performance for Bandido. Shame that Mysterio's big matches always get their time cut. The Bucks as always did great work. Was still great even though it got cut short. Sad that we won't get to see a singles Ibushi/Mysterio match. My favorite match of the show.

Great show overall but it definitely felt like it was 5 hours long.

Went to the VOW meet up but my social awkwardness caught up to me and I didn't bring anything to the table there.

Sunday I went back over to Starrcast and watched Wrestlenomics live. It was great although I had to listen again on the way home because the speakers in the lobby weren't loud enough to hear anything Brandon was saying. Briefly spoke to Bryan Alvarez about my enjoyment of Death of WCW over the years. Got to see Joey Janela put on the Gobbledy Gooker mask and that man was excited to do it. I was leaving Starrcast at the same time Macaulay Culken was and I got to see him hounded by the professional autograph seekers that didn't want to pay to do a meet and greet. Those people are shitty. Rey was arriving as well and I am sure he got hounded once they realized who it was.

Overall it was a cool weekend. I probably wouldn't pay for Starrcast again but I'm not a convention guy so YMMV.
Pleasure to meet you this weekend! And don't worry about the social awkwardness, we're all weirdos haha. :lol: