All In: September 1

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
OptionZero

Re: All In: September 1

Post by OptionZero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Assuming they put in effort, that should be a banger. Pretty surprised they didn't just do a Golden Lovers v some other tag team to save Kenny some wear and tear, but hey, who's complaining about this one? Pentagon's been working everywhere - Impact, MLW, smaller indies, mexico. Kinda brings top guys from all over together in a "not the main event" singles match

BTE was hilarious in announcing this as well

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 pm

Not long till the show then. Have to say i'm really looking forward too it and the intrigue around Neville only enhances that. I actually think the card will blow away peoples expectations. Scurll v Okada in particular.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 pm

A decade from now, what will be remembered as Chicago's defining wrestling event of the 2010s decade:

Money in the Bank 2011 or All In?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:58 pm

supersonic wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 pm
A decade from now, what will be remembered as Chicago's defining wrestling event of the 2010s decade:

MITB 2011

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:03 am

This was the American Show of the Year.

idc what anyone retorts with. Its a wrong opinion.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:27 pm

supersonic wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 pm

I don't think ALL IN happens without MITB 11.

EvandroFurtado

Post by EvandroFurtado » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:30 pm

I may be overexcited here, but I firmly believe the girls' match was not only MOTN but also the best women's match I've ever seen taking place on American soil. Again, I may just be overreacting.

Also, I would like to point to one specific moment at the Cody/Aldis match. I know a lot of people hate what some call the Gargano/Ciampa melodramatic bullshit, but I think this is the way we're going. Anyway, there was a moment when Cody was locked in the Aldis submission move. He looks across the ring trying to reach for the ropes. However, as the camera shows, he's not really looking at the ropes. Brandi is there. Then, you remember all his promos talking about how she became his best friend, his anchor after Dusty's passing. Looking at her, he finds a way to get to the ropes. However, he only holds to them for a while. He finally reaches for Brandi's hand. The camera shows Cody's face. He's hopeless. He doesn't say anything, but you can feel that he gave up. Brandi looks at him. She doesn't say anything either. She just looks. And, then, Cody knows. His face changes, and so does his attitude in the match. I don't know about you guys, but that's kinda beautiful.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Just got done watching the show. I thought it over delivered to the pint of it being a potential show of the year contender. I loved it.

Haven't seen any "hot takes" on the show but Matt Cross vs MJF should have been on the pre-show, or just in the Battle Royal, and it would have really helped the main event to have that extra time it needed or maybe have a closing segment.

I went 4 Stars + on Hangman vs Janela, Omega vs Penta, Scurll vs Okada and the 6-man. Scurll vs Okada started slow and lost the crowd but I had no doubt they would turn it around. I have seen too much of Marty to see him shit the bed in a big spot. He can really deliver in big matches.

Star making performances from Janela and Bandido, who I assume the target audience from this show knew very little about, whilst Hangman showed again why he is one of the breakout performers of 2018.

Wiretaup

Post by Wiretaup » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Cody's entrance gave me chills that I was not at all prepared for.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 am

Wiretaup wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:42 pm
Cody's entrance gave me chills that I was not at all prepared for.
It hit all of us in a very weird way I think. A testament to the build but also the optics of the moment. The UFC entrance, the dog, his wife... it all came together in such an oddly perfect way that people in the building just had a visceral reaction to it.

Hagan

Post by Hagan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:50 am

Loved it. A show that managed to still show modern pro wrestling (your opinion may vary on whether that's good or bad) while genuinely evoking the past and honoring the journey of these men and women on the show. Tessa hugging Magnum and Tully and Cody being flanked by friends and admirers of his father was more legitimate than 90 percent of the heavy-handed nostalgia you often see. Perfect mix of legends, trailblazers and up and coming stars

Like a lot of people I just assumed it was gonna be the BTE variety hour, and while they managed to wrap up the BTE storylines and call-back to all the jokes and angles from there, each match managed to not veer into pro wrestling parody(with the exception of the ending stretch of Page and Janela).

I have a few gripes about the show but on the whole an absolutely A+ show and probably the most top to bottom genuinely FUN show I've watched since One Night Stand.  The main event getting jammed is a bummer because a 28 minute match with those six would have been insane but it was still good and timing issues happen. I'm seeing so many people freaking out over it when it really isn't a big deal. 

Overly detailed thoughts now: 

- The WGN opening with Cody and the Bucks was cringe. I got a DX reunion vibe of them trying to be goofy and it didn't work .

- I really liked the Brisco/SCU tag. Mark and Jay have been a bit hit and miss for me lately, but they had a neat tag with a great finish. Who knows how much this show is gonna be canon for other companies but the finish also sets up an SCU title shot down the line. Kazarian looked really good in this, actually. 

- The battle royal was messy.  Decent enough segments and spots but probably a little too busy and a little too Billy Gunny. Like, I get having a mix of legends and younger guys but a bit too much focus on guys long past their expiration date. Flip winning was the obvious and right choice. 

- Commentary was pretty good all night, incidentally. Ribaconni (not Googling the spelling) sounds distractingly like Colt Cabana. Excalibur and Callis did a good job. All the guest commentators were hit or miss. This was definitely not an underbooked show. 

-  A legitimate criticism of this show is there was way too much "the match is over and now everyone stop selling and take a bow because our pretend performance is over." I don't need 1984 Mid-South but selling losses and punishment is important. 

- MJF vs Matt Cross was okay. It was disposable and MJF is a great heel on the mic but he was just kinda there in this. This felt like a thank you to an old vet like Cross. 

- Daniels was the best possible person to have that match with Amell. Him winning was the first real indicator that this wasn't gonna be a total haha show. Of course, Daniels beat an actor. He's a twenty-something year vet who has beaten world champions and Hall of Famers. Amell didn't look terrible and took some big bumps out there. It's sad Daniels never got a legitimate WWE run. 

- Women's Four Way I kind of loved. Chelsea Green needs to ditch that character tomorrow, though. It worked on Impact, which is essentially a supernatural universe, but it just doesn't work in settings like this. Liked hearing Cole's old Kingdom theme. As I noted before, Tessa being there with her dad and Magnum was a really beautiful moment, especially on a show so tied into with the Rhodes family. 

- Cody vs Aldis just fucking worked. Cody ditched the bear and brought out his family. Aldis came out with his own set of past champs and legends. It had blood, and atmosphere and felt important and meaningful. Technically, it wasn't any great shakes. It did some short cuts but by the end it had everyone and it felt like an important moment because it was earned. So much of modern wrestling is artificial moments where companies tell us "this is important; this is history." This was important because that crowd believed it was. 

Incidentally, all the "haha, of course Cody booked himself to win the belt" takes are so hack. Pretty sure Cody could walk into just about any company in North America right now and be belted up the next day (and after last night that probably includes WWE). Don't really think dude had to politic to take the strap off Aldis, ya know. Corgan has to be over the moon that this dude ACCEPTED this belt.

Also, that article that I think came out in The Ringer a few months about Cody's journey and about how much of this indy run is about him dealing with his grief about losing his father really struck a chord with me tonight. I lost my father a few years ago and that sadness never really goes away. When Cody got that win and was embraced by everyone, I teared up. It was a beautiful moment and such a nice tribute to his dad. 

I am assuming Bernard will be pissed about not being booked, though. 

- Lethal vs Flip was a total misfire. It was nice seeing Poffo and it was a cool tribute to Savage but Lethal is the ROH World Champion and basically did a goofy gimmick match with comedy spots. This match lacked all the things that made the previous match work. Flip is still really green and this one didn't quite work. Lethal has been good this year but the Black Macho stuff is a prelim act. After tonight, ROH needs to get that belt on Marty. 

- Hangman vs Janela was wild. That fucking Burning Hammer on the ladder spot was completely insane and I actually yelled at my TV when Page dropped him with his finish off the ladder. I liked that that match was 90 percent serious until the storyline finish with the boots and the murdering and what not. Page and Ford have a good act. The Joey Ryan stuff at the end was, well, I mean...your tolerance with the Bullet Club variety hour probably influenced how you felt there. It was certainly a visual and it is certainly impossible to explain to anyone not watching the Youtube show. I guess if you're gonna do wacky dick shit with Joey Ryan, you may as well go big. They went big. 

- Omega vs Pentagon was a banger. That was legitimately a quality match. It could have easily devolved into finishing spam and DDT Omega shit. The arm break/package piledriver near fall had me, man. I also thought it was interesting that Kenny didn't wrestle his usual NJPW-style, either. This was a little more slowed down than the usual. Fantastic stuff.  I'm ambivalent about whether or not guys go to WWE and I get that at some point it's time for some guys to go but if the rumors of Pentagon to NXT are true that would be such a bummer. I know talent rises and all that but I have zero doubt that they will fucking kill him off. He's all aura and costume in a company that hates masked wrestlers and is gonna just see a short, somewhat dumpy guy. Best case he ends up in tagged with the also-rumored to come in Fenix in an undercard tag team. It's all gonna suck. 

- I was a bit annoyed that Okada randomly is now unbroken. I gather that Marty is rather unloved around these parts but I liked the story of the match. Okada was cocky and nearly got caught. I hope that this match leads to something for Scurll, whether it's him going heavyweight in NJPW, or him going on a quest to prove himself in ROH and you can build to that big babyface win at Final Battle in a few months. This is a match that needs to have meaning to it. 

- The ovation that Rey and Kota got for facing off was wild and probably goes to show how those fans see Ibushi. It went, what, 12 minutes so they ended up cutting 16 or so. I mean, that does suck and puts a slight damper on the end but I think with what every match was trying to do (whether it was a good idea or succeeded or not) this was the match you could have cut in half and still made work.  

I  do love the "they didn't even get to do their big fucking jackoff promo shit on the air, haha" takes by people who would have fucking BURIED them for doing the big fucking jackoff promo shit on PPV. They'll throw that shit on BTE tomorrow and get 300, 000 views. 

So, yeah, home run show and a love letter to pro wrestling and hopefully a show that leads to...something other than WWE  offering contracts to every single performer just to put them on ice with all the other shiny toys that can barely make TV. 

I will say that tonight proves that when/if the WWE comes calling, a lot of these guys would be fools to accept being shuttled to NXT.  Get your money and get a main roster slot and do what AJ Styles did. Anything else at this point is selling short. 

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:04 am

B+ show that even I likely would have given an A with some shuffling of the card order and if Okada/Marty don't wrestle for a thousand years when it was evident that even the live audience didn't want that out of that match. Still this was the absolute right line up for the fans there. It was a historic show that felt historic which is not always the case. I have much more detailed thoughts about the show, some of which aren't fully fleshed out, but I'm glad it happened and there was a lot of stuff on it that I really liked.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Not an entirely original thought (though I thought it before I saw others say it), but it felt like a modern, independent version of Wrestlemania 1. Not a perfect show, but perfect for what they sought to accomplish. I guess that make's Janela's Spring Break shows Starrcade then.

I'd put the Mania NXT show over it for sheer match quality and personal enjoyment, but this will likely be the most memorable US show this year even if I would disagree with it being best.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:41 pm

This show is what I want modern ROH's major events to be like, from the match quality to the crowd investment up and down the card.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:42 pm

JamieOD wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:41 pm
This show is what I want modern ROH's major events to be like, from the match quality to the crowd investment up and down the card.
Agreed. Sadly ROH is hamstrung by their current roster and has to rely heavily on NJPW flyins to garner interest.