All In: September 1

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
thecubsfan

All In: September 1

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm

I think this one's going to need a thread.

They announced the date on Twitter today.. The Bucks, Scurll, Omega, Cody and "Arrow"'s Stephen Amell are announced. Who would've thought a SummerSlam tag match with King Barrett & Neville would've been a pivotal moment in the industry. (In total truth, they need to pull from as many people as possible, and if Arrow fans are going to buy tickets to a wrestling show, then why not.)

September 1st is Saturday of Labor Day weekend, the usual period for PWG's Battle of Los Angeles. I don't know anything, just that options are either the Bucks are surprising and running against PWG or they've worked out a deal where the usual much talked about Night 2 of BOLA is going to double as the All In show. It's really not even about competing for fans, it'd be both places competing for the same very small amount of upper tier meaningful talent. I guess we'd know for sure in about two days.

There's plenty of people who would want to go to a night of BOLA but either can't get the tickets (and don't know about the helpful reseller) or just don't even bother trying because it's such an impossibility. Treating it as a One Time Only chance to get to see a night of the tournament live, even if live in a very different setting, is about as strong a draw as any indie guy they could add to the show. But that would also mean the show is definitely in the Los Angeles area, not the Chicago (or Dublin!) locations teased.

Ferrante207

Re: All In: September 1

Post by Ferrante207 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm

Don't forget the "doesn't want to sit in an uncomfortable sweatbox for 3 hours after waiting in line for hours and fly cross country" fans. This sounds like a great plan: fans can make history, give a finger to the WWE machine with their doll hairs, and take in a PWG quality snowflakes show. This will also double as a de-facto hardcore internet wrestling fan convention.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 pm

So, which 10,000 person arena in SoCal would they be running?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 pm

BOLA speculative questions:

Could it be late August as has been done in the past?

Could All In plus BOLA serve as a quadruple shot throughout Labor Day weekend?

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm

The Young Bucks not making a cameo at Mystery Vortex and nothing coming out from PWG linking the two concepts suggests my theory is wrong about them working on one event.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:05 am

Unless something significant has changed, Bucks are part-owners/investors in PWG (they joked on an old podcast "That's why we never lose there"). Of course there could always be new drama that made them sever ties or change their agreement with Excalibur & Super Dragon but I wouldn't put money on it. I'd say there's a better shot that BOLA has been moved because that's gonna draw what it's gonna draw regardless of fly-in fans, whereas All In is going to need fans from all over to show up, regardless of where it takes place. I know nothing about LA weather so maybe it's the same first weekend of September as the last weekend of September, but if it gets more mild as winter approaches, then that's probably a better call for BOLA as well.

Like most, I'm excited for this show but mainly for geeky business reasons, not fannish ones. But still, as of late I've been thinking about the value of Bucks, Omega, Cody, the BTE phenomenon and even dudes like Joey Ryan as a way to both attract casuals but also formerly WWE-only fans to other things. I think there's a certain group of fan who still watches everything WWE puts out but BTE is so accessible and fun for them they check it out, and while the only puro they consume is whatever clips end up on the frontpage of Wreddit, they know they dig Omega. So if this ends up being a BTE supershow with Omega in a hype singles match on top, I think this will be a success.

This is why I sometimes get a bit het up about fans in the bubble doing our deep rutube dives with our detailed knowledge of every indy north of the equator dismissing this group of wrestlers in some form or fashion. There should be a healthy amount of "Good for you, not for me" thinking that applies. You don't gotta like Joey Ryan, but he's literally made independent wrestling fans out of casuals I know personally. To me that's huge, because the jump from mainstream to independent stuff is still something a lot of casuals are hesitant to make, for understandable reasons - there is a world out there, but it's confusing alphabet soup of promotion names when you first try and make sense of it.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

After watching the recent BTE episodes I'm convinced they have Punk lined up for this

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:After watching the recent BTE episodes I'm convinced they have Punk lined up for this
Firm believer they are trying to get him at all costs as well as potentially Danielson. In a perfect world, they have all of the usuals lined up and they have Punk, Danielson, and Jericho supplementing (or carrying the drawing load, whatever you think). Interested in seeing how much they diversify their bonds to help draw. Need a few former WWE guys, maybe some Japan draws along with Omega (Okada, Naito? Liger?), maybe some lucha types (Penta / Fenix?)...just interested in seeing how this fills out.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:43 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:After watching the recent BTE episodes I'm convinced they have Punk lined up for this
Firm believer they are trying to get him at all costs as well as potentially Danielson. In a perfect world, they have all of the usuals lined up and they have Punk, Danielson, and Jericho supplementing (or carrying the drawing load, whatever you think). Interested in seeing how much they diversify their bonds to help draw. Need a few former WWE guys, maybe some Japan draws along with Omega (Okada, Naito? Liger?), maybe some lucha types (Penta / Fenix?)...just interested in seeing how this fills out.
Danielson will be under contract on September 1st. Punk is obviously the dream, and if that falls through I think they'll need a heavy lucha presence to hit 10k. Punk/Jericho or something like that you miiiight get to 10k.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:59 pm

I think we're underrating just how much marketing can get them close to that number. Obviously, yeah, you're going to need a guy like Punk and some other top indie stars, a few of the NJPW regulars (Omega and even a Liger-type) but more than anything saying "This is what we're going to do, we're going to prove we can do this" is going to sell tickets. People want to be apart of something historic and may let a lackluster card (not that I think it'll be one) slide in favor of showing their individual power.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I think we're underrating just how much marketing can get them close to that number. Obviously, yeah, you're going to need a guy like Punk and some other top indie stars, a few of the NJPW regulars (Omega and even a Liger-type) but more than anything saying "This is what we're going to do, we're going to prove we can do this" is going to sell tickets. People want to be apart of something historic and may let a lackluster card (not that I think it'll be one) slide in favor of showing their individual power.
I think that they will have a successful number no matter what. If you have Omega, Bucks, and a few other big indie names with a lot of marketing, you can get to a very good number. You can get to 6000, 7000, maybe 8000. But they called their shot, they said they would hit 10,000, and the entire show is based around that number. And I don't think an indie supershow with a Bullet Club shirt convention attached gets there. That 2,000 person difference seems small in context, but it is a HUGE hurdle that they'd have to get past. And I don't see how they do it without appealing to a very wide fanbase (like getting casual fans with 2-3 big former WWE guys or lucha fans).

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:48 am

The BTE marketing/teasing has been pretty interesting. Drug-free could refer to either of the dream picks in Danielson or Punk, but it could also be a total red herring, since Kenny and the Bucks don't drink or do drugs either, so The Elite is by itself drug-free. The Page vs Joey Ryan story is obviously dumber than damn hell but it's a feud, it's a thing now, it's gonna keep building. Flip being or not being booked becoming a running joke is another way to build him being on the show.

It's not re-inventing the wheel, but it works to create this huge mystery around the whole thing. People love a puzzle these days - every TV show discussion is filled with "where is this going, here's my theory, these are all the clues I used" so when they do something similar with the youtube show and All In, even casual fans are drawn in further.

The Lucha Bros being booked for this would definitely add to a "Super PWG" vibe, I'd dig it a lot. Popular NJPW talent like Liger or KUSHIDA would add a lot as well.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 am

Latest BTE episode looks like it is setting up the Bucks against Chuck & Trent.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:03 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:
Danielson will be under contract on September 1st. Punk is obviously the dream, and if that falls through I think they'll need a heavy lucha presence to hit 10k. Punk/Jericho or something like that you miiiight get to 10k.
It is September 23rd.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 pm

rovert wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:
It is September 23rd.
People clamoring for that were silly anyway, because even if his contract was up in August or something, what would be the point of trying to get him if you couldn't advertise him until that date?