WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
cbacon87

Re: WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 pm

I too wasn't massively into the War Games match and after two attempts, I think maybe modern wrestling and War Games don't mix. To me there were two inherent problems, one being the focus on spots and two being the crowd being conditioned as such, which you're kinda stuck with.

The way WWE, and I guess to some extent just modern wrestling in general, structures stip matches is around the big creative stunts. I probably said the same thing last time, but I'm fine with that for some stips and less so with others. Ladder matches, Chamber matches, no problem. I Quit and Last Man Standing, I think those have been steadily weakened over the years as a result of the big stunt mentality (Cena being thrown through the giant spotlight in the Edge LMS match is my personal tipping point I think). I've been watching a fair amount of 90s stuff recently and it's really clear how much more forethought and care goes into an average match, which is great, to a point, but when the match comes to a grinding, choreographed halt because somebody thought "we'll get a big pop if we all square off in the middle after a Tower Of Doom" spot, it's kinda to the point of showing your hand. I don't mind that so much in a ladder match, or even a regular match, but it's not what I want out of a War Games match.

The other problem was people sitting on their hands a bit until the end, because the match couldn't end. Unfortunately, I don't think you're ever going to get a modern crowd to react to the opening stages like in the glory years, because that kind of emotion's not really what people are there for anymore. So if you're not doing the cool spots then sure, people are just going to sit quietly (or chant for Drake because he moved a bit of table and they're smart enough to know his name), because what else is there? Even if NXT put the effort into building an actual grudge match next time, I think you'd struggle to make it the same as back in the day. In which case, it's just another stunt show.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:59 pm

HHH just announced NXT UK is going to Blackpool for a TV Taping on Jan 13, 2019 . . . and Takeover for January 12. Fairly predictable based on his hints and the timing/location, but good to see the brand appears strong.

What does everyone think of this choice of venue, the Empress Ballroom? Listed at 3500 capacity

This is bigger than York Hall, where Rev Pro runs

Progress ran Wembley which holds 12k but i think was configured for about half? Also, Alexandria Palace holds 10k but i don't think was configured for full capacity.

Main roster runs the 02, which holds 20k, and there's the Manchester Arena which holds 21.

This seems like a fairly modest first step

From the tapings, it looks like we're at minimum getting:

Travis Banks v Jordan Devlin
Rhea Ripley v Toni Storm (NXT UK Women's Championship)

There will inevitably be Pete Dunne v someone for the UK championship and Mustache Mountain, likely against the Coffey brothers for the tag belts

I'd love to see them squeeze Finn Balor on there.

Plus, Becky and Sheamus should at least be in the crowd.

NOTE:
This'll be one week after Rev Pro does ZSJ v PAC at Cockpit Theatre . . . which holds 200 people. WTF

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:04 am

OptionZero wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:59 pm
What does everyone think of this choice of venue, the Empress Ballroom? Listed at 3500 capacity
It's the same place as the first UK Tournament. Also where they had what was said to be the hottest crowd ever for an NXT house show.

Also, probably not so coincidentally, it's two weeks before WOS are running the same place...

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 pm

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:47 pm

Shockingly, it appears that WWE has released a couple people: Tucker from NXT UK and Nick Miller (of "The Mighty") from NXT

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 am

I hope things work out for Shane Thorne as a singles act, but I'm skeptical when you factor in the current talent situation. Not only with all the people who are already there being pushed or looking for an opportunity, but with the people who will be showing up there in the next few months. It's not going to be easy.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am

I've always been high on Thorne as a singles prospect, going back to their NOAH days, so I'm in. Could see it being a Buddy Murphy situation, at least. Hopefully Miller fills one of the voids elsewhere and does well for himself too, in theory he should be in higher demand than if they'd have split off like this two/three years ago.

From an NXT perspective, can't say I'm disappointed about seeing the back of The Mighty and their pound-shop Gallows and Anderson run. Turning them heel after having the profile videos, where the point was essentially "we weren't getting over because we weren't being ourselves" was an odd move, in hindsight and foresight. I guess the idea was to use them to help out other people, but it clearly derailed anything they had going.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I think Thorne will follow his partner out the door sooner than later. I just can't see him being more of a priority than, Ciampa, Gargano. Undiluted Era, Ricochet, Velveteen, Dijakovic, Lee and Riddle or the 2019 arrivals like Strickland, ACH, Trevor Lee and WALTER when he works the Pete Dunne Full Sail schedule.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 pm

cbacon87 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am
I've always been high on Thorne as a singles prospect, going back to their NOAH days, so I'm in. Could see it being a Buddy Murphy situation, at least. Hopefully Miller fills one of the voids elsewhere and does well for himself too, in theory he should be in higher demand than if they'd have split off like this two/three years ago.

From an NXT perspective, can't say I'm disappointed about seeing the back of The Mighty and their pound-shop Gallows and Anderson run. Turning them heel after having the profile videos, where the point was essentially "we weren't getting over because we weren't being ourselves" was an odd move, in hindsight and foresight. I guess the idea was to use them to help out other people, but it clearly derailed anything they had going.
It was right after they had that match with the Authors of Pain that they got typecaste into good hand job guys role.

WWE loves to slot guys into that role because it allows them to even lazier with the booking...they figure guys like that will just do shyt in the ring to get over and they don't have to worry about them. They thought Shane Thorne would do a flippy doo every match to get over.

So, is it safe to assume that Nick Miller went home to see the birth of his child and was just like "spend time with my kid...orrrrrrrr...Largo Loop" and simply chose to stay home?

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:08 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:53 pm
cbacon87 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 am

It was right after they had that match with the Authors of Pain that they got typecaste into good hand job guys role.

WWE loves to slot guys into that role because it allows them to even lazier with the booking...they figure guys like that will just do shyt in the ring to get over and they don't have to worry about them. They thought Shane Thorne would do a flippy doo every match to get over.

So, is it safe to assume that Nick Miller went home to see the birth of his child and was just like "spend time with my kid...orrrrrrrr...Largo Loop" and simply chose to stay home?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

Late slip