WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
greenmanRD

Re: WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by greenmanRD » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Undisputed Era vs. Mustache Mountain - ****1/2 - One of my favorite tag team matches of the year, just a lot of excellent work, and I could watch these two teams fight every week. It's hard to really find anything about this match that I didn't enjoy, Tyler Bate is a future star. That spot with him doing the giant swing and the airplane spin at the same time was simply awesome. Also, the War Raiders beatdown after the match was also very good, and well timed. Looks to me like an Undisputed Era callup is going to happen before 2018 is over.

EC3 vs. Veleveteen Dream - *** - Velveteen Dream is good, and EC3 is meh, but this is a fine enough match that would not be out of place in pretty much any show. There was nothing all that memorable honestly, but the work was decent, so a decent rating from me.

Adam Cole vs. Ricochet - ***** - Maybe I'm going to be way higher than consensus here, but I thought this was easily the match of the night and nearly went higher. So many great spots and the character work was fantastic, these two paced the match so well to keep me interested in the entire match. The finishing sequence that won Ricochet the belt was among the most memorable of any of the NXT:Takeover Brooklyn shows for me. The only other standout one is the super reverserana from Bayley against Sasha a few years ago. Ricochet is going to be so over on the main roster with the entire audience. Part of me wonders if Cole will get the call up soon, as I can't really envision much else for him to do on NXT. I guess he could win the NXT Title, but I just don't see the point. He should be on the main roster.

Kairi Sane vs. Shayna Baszler - **** - I was a fan of this match, but I don't think it holds a candle to the tag or Cole/Ricochet. Sane is an excellent performer and Baszler is improving a lot. The only real downside of the match was the brutal (and excellent) leg work that Baszler did and Sane just basically blew through that towards the end. That stood out to me and bothered me a decent amount. Still a good match I would recommend anyone to see. I hope she stays in NXT a bit more because I think she needs a little more time before the main roster call.

Tomasso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano - ****3/4 - Every one of their matches is so emotionally intense and the crowd struggles to keep up with it, yet they always find a way to keep me engaged. The finish doesn't bother me at all, and I think actually plays into both characters' developments nearly perfectly. Gargano had a choice between winning the NXT Title and sparing Ciampa, or destroying Ciampa, and he chose to destroy Ciampa. This choice cost Gargano everything, and his descent into this raging madman is very difficult to watch for someone who has been such a likable personality. They need to separate these guys for a bit, but there is still some gas left in the tank for this one. I would imagine Gargano is off TV for a bit, Ciampa is going to drop the title, and we'll see the blow off for this in early 2019 in a HIAC. Gargano has shown that destroying Ciampa is more important than the NXT Title, I know for some people who follow the business, we default to "the title should mean EVERYTHING," but this case is the rare exception where it doesn't need to. Their feud transcends championships, whenever this feud is over there will be one man standing, and the other will be out of NXT.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:38 pm

Honestly it's really unfortunate that Black got injured because having the finish be that Ciampa steals the win from Johnny by pinning Black would have probably gone down people's throats better than what we got last night. (I didn't mind it really and think people are really being over the top with how awful it was).

As long as Gargano is written out for a the next couple of Takeovers they can give Ciampa some challengers and then Mania do their big definitive HIAC blowoff that HHH probably wants for that show.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:11 pm

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Seems pretty evident from watching her this week that Lacey Evans will likely be on the main roster some time in 2019. They clearly like her and she definitely checks a lot of the boxes that previous female call ups have filled. The two things she was lacking in the original MYC (in ring skills and a discernible charisma) have vastly improved to the point that I'd peg her to get the call even before Belair (who is obviously better on both ends, but may not be as easy for the main roster to "get" right away).

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:40 pm
Seems pretty evident from watching her this week that Lacey Evans will likely be on the main roster some time in 2019. They clearly like her and she definitely checks a lot of the boxes that previous female call ups have filled. The two things she was lacking in the original MYC (in ring skills and a discernible charisma) have vastly improved to the point that I'd peg her to get the call even before Belair (who is obviously better on both ends, but may not be as easy for the main roster to "get" right away).
Characters like Lacey Evans get lost in NXT eventually, especially once they've hit the point they are presentable on TV, but they have no goals in elevating them to a title shot at a Takeover. Theyll try and refine her a bit, but I do agree...shell be on the main roster very soon.

Belair, I assume, they have plans for her in the title picture at some point. Not sure if its against Kairi or Shayna, but she seems like the next girl destined for the top of the card. She is 100% going to get a title challenge at a Takeover. Whether she wins or not? idk...but I'd wager yes. Plus, because of the injuries, she still needs some development.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm

mlev76 wrote:
I'd imagine they see Belair as a longer-term projection to have higher highs and thus want to develop and groom her for longer.

Evans is your solid hand that you could probably bring up soon and have her in the role she'll occupy for the next few years. I see higher highs with Belair but a most higher floor with Evans.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 pm
mlev76 wrote:
I'd imagine they see Belair as a longer-term projection to have higher highs and thus want to develop and groom her for longer.

Evans is your solid hand that you could probably bring up soon and have her in the role she'll occupy for the next few years. I see higher highs with Belair but a most higher floor with Evans.
I absolutely think Belair has more upside and like BR said, she'll probably get a Takeover match or two before they consider her for the main roster. I see Evans in the same mold as Bliss, Carmela and Liv Morgan with regard to acts they believe can work on the main roster even without as much shine in NXT. I'd put Evans below where Bliss was at her call up and probably around the same level as Carmela if not slightly better overall.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 am

As I've said in the past Nikki Cross, Vanessa Bourne, Lacey Evans and Bianca Beliar were all in the same NXT class. April/May 2019 will be three years and standard NXT contracts are the same length. The end of the NXT contract is typically when NXT throws wrestlers out of the nest and calls them up.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 am

Thought Ciampa and Dozovic was perfect for what it was. Ciampa did a great job being the Ric Flair heel who gets his ass kicked by a lesser opponent and manages to come out of it as strong as he went in.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:10 am

Dunne vs Dar from NXT UK was sick. Great first episode main event.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 am

Shayna Baszler (c) v. Kairi Sane - ****

Aleister Black v. Johnny Gargano - ****3/4
Excellent match. Excellent work. Excellent storytelling.

Tommaso Ciampa (c) v. Velveteen Dream - ****1/2 to ****3/4 spectrum.
Velveteen Dream passed this test with a 100%. What an incredible match. If you don't think Dream is gr8, get lost. Hot Take - Ciampa's hit rate in NXT rivals Pete Dunne's at this point. He's always good.

War Games - It was good. Just not great. Things got a little too contrived at the end.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:55 pm

NXT Takeover Wargames -

Shayna Bazler v Kairi Sane - ***3/4
Aleister Black v Johnny Gargano - ****1/2
Ciampa v Velveteen Dream - ****
War Games - ****1/4

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Riddle/Ohno-Brotastic
Baszler/Sane- ***1/2
Black/Gargano-****
Ciampa/Velveteen Dream-****1/2
War Games-***1/2

Overall, a very good show, but by the standards of recent Takeovers, a little bit of a letdown. I'm an old school War Games fan, so the current format is harder to swallow than it probably is for newer fans.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:11 pm

as I'm probably going to say on STR, the weapons are now a substitute for brutality and heat. It's a distraction that could be solved with better build but that's not the WWE style

I showed the person I went to the show with 87 (wargames I) and 92 and asked for an opinion. She's not a fan of blood but she was like "the style is more raw and it seems like they really don't like each other"

I'm not sure WWE style or even modern indy "theme park stunt show" style lends itself to WarGames, and it would appear the business believes the solution to that is CZW-style spots

Re: Belair/Evans. Evans is blonde, tall, ex-military (USO), mom (the feminist bent). She's money as a marketing tool if they do right by her, which is a 25/75 proposition given they don't understand women or characters. She's better than Alexa or Carmella at this stage in ring. she might currently be better than both in ring. Not as good in terms of character then or now compared to either, and that's what *really* matters on the main roster.

I tend to think certain powers would have no clue how to do a straight athlete build for Belair and would look for a hook, and the result is something racially insensitive or a stereotype

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:42 pm

re: Bianca Belair.

They need to ditch the undefeated gimmick FAST. Becomes a crutch.

Taking an L to Mia Yim would have been perfect where - as an athlete - she was just caught slipping and not taking a very worthy opponent seriously.

Was a good match, but they missed a chance to get her an L and get her away from a title shot for a few tapings / a Takeover. A nice back and forth with Yim, only to come out the 2-1 winner over a few tapings and a Takeover would have been solid, especially because Yim is such a good worker. I'd have Belair working some mini-programs with your Mia Yims, your Mercedes Martinez, your Deonnas. Would even like to see her have a few taping adventure in the NXT UK brand to work with Jinny, Toni, maybe something a little more even-stevens with Dakota Kai.

As for Lacey, she's just ready for what they'd ask of her on the main roster now. Much like the Iconics, her time is done and now she's just meandering.