WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
suplexberry

Re: WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by suplexberry » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:42 am

Watched Almas vs Black & the main event. Surprised myself by being more invested in the title match than Gargano vs Ciampa. I haven't been following week to week but I have caught some stuff online and I loved the two as a tag team obviously so thought the final confrontation would get over pretty quick with me. It did not. I was actually very disengaged by it, and I really wish I hadn't been.

Almas vs Black was great, brutal stuff. Almas' offense is just the best. Haven't seen a whole lot of Black in this NXT run but hope good things come to him, his unique look and character should be good.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 am

I looks likely that Almas + Vega will get called up to SmackDown tomorrow but I wish he stayed in NXT for just a few more months. I agree 100% with Suplexberry, his offence is amazing.

He is like the ultimate hybrid of Japanese striking, American Indy moveset and Lucha agility. Now he has that WWE look and presence and merged them all together and has had four amazing Takeover matches in a row since his "rebirth".

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:05 pm

One HELL of a show.

NA Title Ladder Match - A really incredible ladder match - perhaps my all time favorite one. This felt like they really thought about how to do it with 2018 psychology and made it work. They sold the hell out of their progressive damage, and altogether just sold the brutality of it well. The post-match was amazing, where they would cut from Cole celebrating to the men still writing around on the outside upset and FUCKED UP. And that spot close to the end where they all just sold after the dual ladder spots to the outside. The facials, emotions, and performance aspect of the match were really on point for this match.

The match layout felt fully modernized. No slow-ladder slimbs (mostly), it's 2018 let's just get people in the right positions to interrupt. All six men worked their asses off and were super well choereographed. Some little things I liked like Dream getting believeable "near-falls" by swatting at the belkt with his fingertips. They just worked to ratchet up the drama in a way that ladder matches usually just let actual match drama fall away in favor of big spots.

I'm on the "never really got Adam Cole" train, but I loved him here. I'm nore into him and TUE than ever after tonight; can't wait for a feud with a babyface British Strong Style. Didn't expect Cole to win here, but after this performance I'm psyched for his defenses.

Baszler/Moon - Very good match. Still not as into Ember as I want to be. THe finishing submission was fantastic, if a little long on Ember's part to go out.

Tag Match - This was solid, but I had a hard time getting into this one. The Dusty Classic is 2 for 3 in meh builds. But the match was still good and I enjoyed the swerve and what it sets up.

Almas/Black - Terrific match. I didn't think Black was winning, so the interference annoyed me at first. But it ended up becoming a FANTASTIC story with great work. The story was that ALmas just couldn't beat Black, even with Vega's interference, so Vega tried increasingly brazen and risky interferences as her and Almas got more and more desperate when Black wouldn't die. It led to Vega over-doing it, Black scouting it, and a great finish. I wanted to see Almas continue, but I imagine that means they want him up, and I can't argue that. Plus I've always enjoyed Black/End. Hopefully his title reign is a bit longer than recent vintages.

Ciampa/Gargano - I wasn't at the full five on this one, but that's the only negative thing I can say about this. It's emotional, long-term wrestling storytelling at its best. The emotion, the callback spots, and that amazing swerve where everyone saw the Ciampa faking-sick moment coming a mile away, but thankfully so did Johnny. That's how you book a babyface to not be an idiot. Incredible match to end an astounding show.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:51 pm

When you consider where NXT was in 2017 around Mania and where it is today, you have to give immense credit to the rebuilding job they did over the last year. From Dallas to Orlando, only one wrestler on the former show remained on the roster post Mania week. The show was definitely on a downturn, but really from the first new tapings, it's been on a steady rise and this weekend felt in many ways like the culmination of all that hard work.

I'm definitely curious to see how many callups there are tonight. Ember and AOP had done all they could and NWJ was in the same position Dillinger was last year. Big question is Almas as I could see good reason to bring him up now or to give him a few more months to tie up loose ends with Black and possibly Gargano

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:04 pm

mlev76 wrote:When you consider where NXT was in 2017 around Mania and where it is today, you have to give immense credit to the rebuilding job they did over the last year. From Dallas to Orlando, only one wrestler on the former show remained on the roster post Mania week. The show was definitely on a downturn, but really from the first new tapings, it's been on a steady rise and this weekend felt in many ways like the culmination of all that hard work.

I'm definitely curious to see how many callups there are tonight. Ember and AOP had done all they could and NWJ was in the same position Dillinger was last year. Big question is Almas as I could see good reason to bring him up now or to give him a few more months to tie up loose ends with Black and possibly Gargano
You're right on, they got back to a strong surplus of talent.

The brand split especially hurt it, and they won't take as many this time. This time it feels right - they've been feeling a little overstuffed if anything in NXT and this'll give more space for people to breathe. Very curious to see if the new belt helps or hurts the proceedings.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 am

House show dates per WWE and Ticketmaster:

Oklahoma City, OK - Thursday, May 17, 2018
Dallas, TX - Friday, May 18, 2018
San Antonio, TX - Saturday, May 19, 2018
Houston, TX - Sunday, May 20, 2018

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I know how everyone feels about Meltzer and star ratings but at NXT Takeover NOLA he went 5 on the ladder and Ciampa/Gargano. A 5 match card with 2 5* and another 4.25* (Black/Almas) has gotta put it in the running for greatest of all time in Meltz's eyes. Gargano has now went out and put up back to back 5* main events at major shows, that's a legendary feat. Does anyone else think that this was maybe the greatest in ring WWE show ever?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm

ThommyGunn wrote:I know how everyone feels about Meltzer and star ratings but at NXT Takeover NOLA he went 5 on the ladder and Ciampa/Gargano. A 5 match card with 2 5* and another 4.25* (Black/Almas) has gotta put it in the running for greatest of all time in Meltz's eyes. Gargano has now went out and put up back to back 5* main events at major shows, that's a legendary feat. Does anyone else think that this was maybe the greatest in ring WWE show ever?
I do.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 pm

ThommyGunn wrote:I know how everyone feels about Meltzer and star ratings but at NXT Takeover NOLA he went 5 on the ladder and Ciampa/Gargano. A 5 match card with 2 5* and another 4.25* (Black/Almas) has gotta put it in the running for greatest of all time in Meltz's eyes. Gargano has now went out and put up back to back 5* main events at major shows, that's a legendary feat. Does anyone else think that this was maybe the greatest in ring WWE show ever?
I think Dave's rating for the ladder match was a bit too high as it could've been cut down by 10 minutes. With that said, nothing was less than very good, 60% of the matches were great and the main event was another 5 star match.

Main roster WWE always has some filler, so it would likely be impossible to reach the heights this show met, so it would have to be either this or another WWE show. Takeover Dallas had three great matches, one of which I also gave five stars. But, the main event was not the peak and was not one of the great matches and the fifth match was only good. So, I'd say this Takeover bested that one.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:09 pm

We're definitely moving to a new level for the relationship between WWE and certain indies

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 pm

I wonder if it says as much, if not more, about Ohno. The video they put up on Youtube a while back really gave the impression that he's destined for a coaching role one day. Given his use at Axxess as well, maybe they already see him as a bit more of a 'utility' player, for the lack of a better phrase, than just a regular part of the roster.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 am

It'll be interesting to see how things take shape for NXT after all the call ups.

So from what I'm seeing with the women the main faces are Nikki, Kairi, Candice and Dakota. The main heels are Shayna, Bianca and Lacey.

The tag division are lead by the Undipsuted Era with TM61, War Raiders, Oney and Burch, Street Prophets and Heavy Machinery.

They took a big hit in the singles ranks losing Andrade, but they still have good core with Cole, Clampa, EC3, Lars and Velveteen. They seem to be a little thin on the face side even though they have Aliester, Gargano and Ricochet. Other than that there's Ohno, who is mainly used to put people over. They can use one or two more guys. Not sure who they would be build that isn't being used on the show. They can always turn someone. Or I wonder if this where James Storm might come in.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:45 am

Presumably Dunne, Bate and Seven will be mixed in more on the face side if they're feuding with Undisputed Era.

If they finally pull the trigger on this break-up, maybe they'll try with Tino as a singles. Beyond that, there's a few guys like Bononi, Mendoza and Aichner, who they put out there reasonably often, but haven't given a character or push to yet. Those kinda guys might get a bit more of a chance if needed. Maybe Lio Rush will re-appear too.

GDelaney84

Post by GDelaney84 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 pm

They have Dijak and Axel Dieter not doing anything either.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm

They have an overflowing pool of talent. That's hardly an issue. And from a 'hit' to the roster perspective, the call ups were all put in such a position at Takeover that their losses will have a limited impact on the roster. Almas is probably the biggest loss and I am concerned about how he does on the main roster. More about how they use him than his act not translating because if done right, he can be a better Alberto.