WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: WWE NXT 2018 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:52 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Andrade CIEN Almas v. Johnny Gargano @ NXT Takeover: Philadelphia...

ALL FIVE.
BoxingRobes wrote:CIEN continues to be one of the Top 5 wrestlers in the WWE.
Someone prove to me otherwise.

Gargano is THE best wrestler in the WWE right now as well. Not a hot take. But no one is even close to his resume during the past 365 Days.
Best match in NXT history. Better than Nakamura/Zayn. Better than any of the Banks/Bayley matches. Just simply the best. And currently, my MOTY.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:11 am

mlev76 wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:Andrade CIEN Almas v. Johnny Gargano @ NXT Takeover: Philadelphia...

ALL FIVE.
BoxingRobes wrote:CIEN continues to be one of the Top 5 wrestlers in the WWE.
Someone prove to me otherwise.

Gargano is THE best wrestler in the WWE right now as well. Not a hot take. But no one is even close to his resume during the past 365 Days.
Best match in NXT history. Better than Nakamura/Zayn. Better than any of the Banks/Bayley matches. Just simply the best. And currently, my MOTY.

Its up there as one of the best matches under the WWE umbrella in its history.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:32 am

So Ec3 showed up?

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 am

Gotta give some love to that opening tag match. Smart match with great selling with a fantastic ending.

But holy shit that main event. I love how they started off with all the counters. Those can look crappy when the timing is off, especially strike dodges, but these guys were on point. I'm a sucker for in ring story and drama and this delivered big time with some incredible spots to back it up. The timing on everything was damn near perfect. The best match I've seen since Okada/Shibata, and an easy 5 stars for me.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:59 am

GuestTimekeeper wrote:Gotta give some love to that opening tag match. Smart match with great selling with a fantastic ending.
Completely agree. For all the praise the main event is getting (and rightfully so), I hope the opening tag doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Just an excellently worked, well put together match. AoP have so much potential.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:00 pm

GuestTimekeeper wrote:Gotta give some love to that opening tag match. Smart match with great selling with a fantastic ending.

But holy shit that main event. I love how they started off with all the counters. Those can look crappy when the timing is off, especially strike dodges, but these guys were on point. I'm a sucker for in ring story and drama and this delivered big time with some incredible spots to back it up. The timing on everything was damn near perfect. The best match I've seen since Okada/Shibata, and an easy 5 stars for me.
Loved the tag match until the sloppy, hideous finish.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm

Undisputed Era (c) v. Authors of Pain - ***1/2
-A hideous, sloppy, nonsensical finish ruins what was a really good match. The Authors working from underneath really showcased their progression here.

Velveteen Dream v. Kassius Ohno - ***1/4
-Started off hot...then went on a decline. Dream ran out of ideas and Ohno didn't help the situation by sandbagging a bit.

Ember Moon (c) v. Shayna Baszler - ***
-Absolutely atrocious finish. Solid work up until that.

Aleister Black v. Adam Cole - EXTREME RULEZ - ***3/4
-Good plunder match.

Andrade CIEN Almas (c) v. Johnny Gargano - *****
-Flawless match. One of the best matches in WWE history.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:18 pm

So, as of now, my take on Takeover: New Orleans would be:

Almas vs. Black
Ciampa vs. Gargano
Fish & O'Reilly vs. Sanity
Moon vs. Baszler

Maybe we'll see Ricochet debut here as well.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:45 pm

mlev76 wrote:So, as of now, my take on Takeover: New Orleans would be:

Almas vs. Black
Ciampa vs. Gargano
Fish & O'Reilly vs. Sanity
Moon vs. Baszler

Maybe we'll see Ricochet debut here as well.
Dunne vs. Strong too. That with Ciampa vs. Gargano can help discourage ROH ticket sales.

Napalm Death

Post by Napalm Death » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:43 pm

Usually there are no more than 5 matches so I'd guess Cole vs Ricochet?

Napalm Death

Post by Napalm Death » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:53 pm

That was a very good take-over, one of the best of the non-full sail era.

The Tag-Match was really good, AOP works very good as a monster tag-team heel or face. I really like them despite their greeny-ness.
UEwere the glue of the match. Such a shme that within a year they will be on SD on the butt-end of Big E jikes about Fish & Chips or stuff like that. RedDragon is such a great tag-team.

Ohno vs Dream's first minyte was awesome but the match quickly fell apart to the point that it became juts a succession of moves. A shame with a worker like Ohno who did his best to put the match back on tracks. Dream is green, but he has his character nailed. One guy that will definitely benefit from working the largo loop.

Bazsler vs Moon did nothing for me. Bazsler should be the champ and buzzasaw through everyone MMA style with knockouts and submissions. This kind of matches won't help her.

Cole vs Black was awesome. I like both guys and the plunder helped them both. Cole is losing a lot for a new guy and that doesn't really fit his ultra-confident character. He should be a slimy heel winning with a handful of trunks... But Black has to be heated up for taking the strap on mania weekend.

Almas vs Gargano was magic. The best WWE match since Styles vs Cena and the MOTY for the moment. Gargano is teh best babyface in wrestling today and Almas is criminally underrated. A formadbale roller-coaster of emtions that drags you through moments of joy and desperation for your hero. Verything was perfect, even the WWE-bullshit interference from the manager. Loved it, full 5 snowflakes. Obviously Big D will give it 4 1/2 because his pals ain't in it, but who cares, for me it was full 5.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Some real buffoonery going on on Twitter re: Almas-Gargano III.

Mind numbing contrarianism.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Some real buffoonery going on on Twitter re: Almas-Gargano III.

Mind numbing contrarianism.
I don't even know where to begin, what kinds of things are you seeing?

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Is 4 3/4 an outstanding match vs 5 stars best WWE match of all time that big of a gulf to cross? Don't think that's contrarian.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm at 4 3/4 because of the philosophy that if this is anything that I think could make the match better, it can't be 5 stars. I thought the finish could have been better, so 4 3/4 for me.