Game Changer Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
K. Hare

Game Changer Wrestling (Discussion)

Post by K. Hare » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Anyone else follow GCW? I'm pretty new, I've only been to the last two shows and Spring Break, but they've all been a lot of fun. I think this is my new favorite promotion. It's mainly deathmatch focused, but they have a little of everything. It's got a cool vibe, the guys are working super hard, cool atmosphere and great matches. NGI2 was BRUTAL, but the show yesterday wasn't too far behind.

Nick Gage is a real star here. Obviously I know how some people think about him, but he's really been busting his ass, in both deathmatches and regular matches. Looks great and is the most realistic guy in wrestling. He has a real aura.

Tremont vs. Gage in December has sprung to the top of my list of most anticipated matches.

Bix

Re: Game Changer Wrestling

Post by Bix » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:57 am

K. Hare wrote:Anyone else follow GCW? I'm pretty new, I've only been to the last two shows and Spring Break, but they've all been a lot of fun. I think this is my new favorite promotion. It's mainly deathmatch focused, but they have a little of everything. It's got a cool vibe, the guys are working super hard, cool atmosphere and great matches. NGI2 was BRUTAL, but the show yesterday wasn't too far behind.

Nick Gage is a real star here. Obviously I know how some people think about him, but he's really been busting his ass, in both deathmatches and regular matches. Looks great and is the most realistic guy in wrestling. He has a real aura.

Tremont vs. Gage in December has sprung to the top of my list of most anticipated matches.
Tremont vs. Gage might actually get me to Howell for a pure GCW show.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:28 am

Gage vs. Tremont III was absolutely insane. It was the Omega vs. Okada of deathmatches. I don't necessarily mean it in a "best match ever" way, but they went 50 minutes, kept escalating and by the end were just completely destroyed. They went almost non-stop for the first half hour, there was never any giveaway that they were going that long.

Very much recommended if you have any interest at all in deathmatches. It's at least an absolute spectacle.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 am

For those who saw both, how does Gage/Tremont compare to the BJW Death Vegas deathmatch main people are raving about?

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm

I need to see it on tape, but Gage vs. Tremont was much more of a drawn out, epic thing with different stages and was much more brutal. The BJW match was more of a very good wrestling match with deathmatch elements. My initial thought is that Gage vs. Tremont was better, but that has to do with more being on the line/being a bigger spectacle.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Live reaction is that it was 5 stars to me, but will need to rewatch to make sure that wasn't just because I was there.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 am

In the spirt of the Spring Break show...

El Gaijin

Post by El Gaijin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm

next 2 FREEDOMS, BJPW & various CZW, IWA-MS (DS/EC), DTU (mexico) & other lil promotions like VOW, ect: GCW gives me my monthly taste of deathmatch wrestling.

2017 was a great year w/ the gage/tremont "trilogy", guys like markus crane & shlak killing it aswell as g-raver, the GCW x DTU talent relationship, FREEDOMS relationship.

2018 already started with a down as their main NJ venue is closing & the last show is this upcoming sat which i cannot wait for as violento jack faces nick "fucking" gage!!! im currently working on a GCW 2017 retrospective music video using clips from every 2017 GCW show including allentown, pa & "joey janela's spring break" from wrestlemania wknd although those shows are "deathmatch" free. s/o 2 xavtru for doing a GCW 2017 recap video & all the golden era CZW recaps, music videos & full show highlites.

been a CZW fan since late 99 as i would see there shirts @ various ECW ARENA/NJ/NYC house shows & saw even nick gage, tck, justice pain & ric blade all wearing them @ a ECW ARENA show in late 99 & they we're giving out flyers for CAGE OF DEATH 1 (justice pain vs. lobo). i ended up buying a tape mid-late 2000 (they said it couldnt be done 1/no rules, no limits) @ the rf video table although i would see clips on xohmygodx.simplenet.com. ORIGINAL CLIP UPLOADER, OG x 1,000,000... with all that being said, i usually just try 2 catch thee deathmatch on each show & still love me some T.O.D./Cage Of Death.

BUT,,,

GC FUCKING W all day...

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:07 pm

K. Hare wrote:I need to see it on tape, but Gage vs. Tremont was much more of a drawn out, epic thing with different stages and was much more brutal. The BJW match was more of a very good wrestling match with deathmatch elements. My initial thought is that Gage vs. Tremont was better, but that has to do with more being on the line/being a bigger spectacle.
Please bear in mind that I'm a total newbie to deathmatches, but I'd agree with the Omega vs Okada comparison - I think the same reasons why Omega vs Okada entertained but didn't move me or stick with me (any of the three matches) was due to the overblown spectacle of everything they did. Yes, epic, yes, told a story, yes had a lot of different segments that all added to this big thing, but do I remember it fondly? Not really.

A friend, the same friend who showed me the Takeda vs Takahashi match in fact, showed me one of the Tremont/Gage matches (TOS2 was the show) and I just couldn't connect to it. I think Gage is a good character in the sense that I know what he's about by the way he moves, wrestles, cuts a promo, is on Twitter etc, so I had no issues with him but left the match not really having a solid idea of Tremont. I told my friend maybe I just needed more context or something. Admittedly the VOD quality and post-production left a lot to be desired but I tried to look past it since American indies are way behind Japanese indies or European indies on these things, so this stuff is something I kind of expect from American indies. Kind of like with Omega vs Okada, a lot of stuff happens but I don't have that strong personal connection to it that puts it over the top for me.

If I was a new fan, which I was, a few weeks ago, I'd recommend Death Vegas and then maybe a deep dive into Gage and Tremont's histories before watching the matches. But then, somebody I know who is not a deathmatch guy watched the same TOS2 match and loved it, so it might just be all my personal biases. The matches will absolutely appeal to many kinds of fans. Just not me, apparently.

But I will keep an eye on this promotion as I get more & more familiar with the genre.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:29 am

I didn't like the December Gage vs. Tremont match as much on rewatch as I did live. I think a lot of it was the moment and how crazy it all felt.

I do think that that the major difference between the GCW and Gage/Tremont trilogies and the recent BJW matches are the brutality and the way it is presented. GCW main events are completely focused around the brutality and griminess, whereass BJW adapts deathmatches with other styles. That happens during GCW matches, and even at points in the Tremont vs. Gage matches, but it isn't necessarily the focus. The end game for both are similar: tab winning as much as proving that they can withstand more punishment than their opponent. The way they get there, though, is completely different.

I do agree, though, that there probably needs to be a little bit of familiarity with the Gage and Tremont stories than with the BJW matches. I think they stand out by themselves, but knowing where each guy is coming from makes them mean more to me.

I'm going Saturday and I can't wait. The card looks absolutely awesome. Cannot wait to see Jack vs. Gage and love that Ciclope is coming back. Love that guy.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am

Considering GCW is producing some excellent Mania cards & looks like a better version of CZW, has anyone seen their recent shows? Curious if there is anything worth checking out on the last couple of shows before Mania weekend.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 am

Tournament of Survival is looking great. I'm super excited for it.

So far:
Nick Gage
Ciclope
Eric Ryan
Takayuji Ueki
Miedo Extremo

PCO vs. Joey Janela

I figure that Shlak and Markus Crane are locks for this, hoping for a cool surprise for the last entrant.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 am

K. Hare wrote:Tournament of Survival is looking great. I'm super excited for it.

So far:
Nick Gage
Ciclope
Eric Ryan
Takayuji Ueki
Miedo Extremo

PCO vs. Joey Janela

I figure that Shlak and Markus Crane are locks for this, hoping for a cool surprise for the last entrant.
GCW has been getting lots of buzz this year, so I figured I'd check this show out on VOD. Not a deathmatch fan overall, but the guys here for the most part know how to blend the style with a more traditional psychology to make the matches less 'i hit you with x, you hit me with y.' Now, there were a couple of matches like that and in many ways, the final ended up living down to my assumptions about deathmatch wrestling.

With that said, I really enjoyed both Gage matches especially the one with Ciclope. GCW fans and Gage have a special connection and it really makes his matches feel more important. Janela/PCO was also a lot of fun, but with everything else being so extreme with regard to the weapons and plunder, it was a tall task being able to stand out. I'd still say it was my second favorite match behind Gage/Ciclope.

Worth the purchase, but I think these kind of matches work better 1, 2 max on a show. Diminishing returns definitely kicked in by the semi finals.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Amazing how much buzz the Arquette thing has gotten. Separately, my wife and a non-wrestling fan friend asked about it. Whatever you think of the style, it's gotten amazing publicity.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:25 am

What's pissing me off is the people shitting on Gage for "going off script and trying to legit injure David Arquette". This is not a take I am seeing amongst a ton of wrestling fans, but more so people looking in. To me I was very impressed with Gage's professionalism. Arquette justifiably freaked out when his neck got sliced and started shooting on Gage(at least attempted to). Gage never lost his temper, never started shooting back. He calmly took the match to the finish. I am very impressed with the way Gage handled the situation and I think he deserves praise for that. The people attacking him legit have no idea what they are talking about. Shouldn't bother me as much as it is, but it does annoy me.

Overall this show was a ton of fun live. I've never seen a death match in person, and the main event was shockingly great, just as a spectical. Honestly, this match was on its way to being a legit match of the year contender, if it hadn't of finished the way it had it probally would be in my top 10 of the year. Nick Gage live was an experience. This man oozes charisma, and there is an energy about him that no one else in wrestling has. And obviously mad respect to Arquette. He went from a joke to a guy I respect the hell out of in one night. He really busted his ass and put his body on the line when he absolutely does not need to.

The other talking point out of this show is Jungle Boy. I talked to him before the show, he told me he was nervous about this the entire week. This was easily the most important match of his career, and he absolutely delivered. Live he was the most over guy on the show besides Gage, and by the end of this match it was actually pretty close. Whether you think it was a star making performance, or just a solid one, it doesn't matter. He made a huge impression. I am just happy he is for once getting praise outside of the small NorCal crowds he normally wrestles in front of. I expect him to be booked everywhere. I am super happy for the guy, **** for me.

The Stunt injury was horrible, and completely unnecessary. I hate to sound like Cornette, but this spot was not needed. The ironic thing is Eli and Stunt were having a very good match before they went to the crowd. Even before the injury the shitty crowd brawling killed the momentum of this match.

The 7 way was really bad. I was very impressed with Jake Atlas, he always looks good and is improving very quickly. The LGBT DDT on Chase(the cartwheel ddt) was a botch by Chase not Jake. I really wish he could have hit that clean. Facade is super athletic, but my God, he is fucking horrible.

Speaking of fucking horrible, Jimmy Lloyd. Jimmy Lloyd live is like the exact opposite of seeing Nick Gage live. No aura at all. No charisma. Deer in the headlights look on his face the entire match. Also smells really bad. Oh, and he sucks at wrestling. I don't get why GCW likes him.

I thought Fatu looked very good, and got a good reaction. He beat KTB, so I expect him to be a GCW regular. Another hometown guy for me, glad he is finally getting seen out of NorCal.

Hot take: I do not like Human Tornado. At all. Never have. His match with Penelope Ford was brutal to sit through. It would never fucking end.

Bob Holly live was awesome to see. Crowd loved him. Not a great match, but it was short, it was fine. One of his chops was thunderous, a nd got a standing ovation, I really wish they would have let the crowd just cheer before doing anything else, but still a cool moment.

Sauske vs DJZ and D-Lo vs Paige get the gentleman's three from me.

Overall mixed bag, but it was a super fun night. Between Jungle Boy breaking out, and seeing Nick Gage vs David Arquette in person(still can't believe that) I can't complain too much.