Bobby Heenan RIP

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Buzz Sawyer

Bobby Heenan RIP

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Deserves his own thread. Best overall performer in the history of the business.
Who's Rob Viper ?

mlev76

Re: Bobby Heenan RIP

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:02 pm

For the first several years of my fandom, the biggest feud was Heenan vs. Hogan. Sure, the Piper feud got more mainstream cred, Dusty vs. Flair was more violent and others may have had better matches, but Hogan vs. Heenan's latest charge was always tremendous fun. It actually reduced my enjoyment when his guys starting winning titles later in the 80s, but he was far and away the best at what he did. The best heels went with Bobby, the others with the next tier managers like Hart, Slick and Fuji.

His commentary was great as well and very underrated from increasing the enjoyment of a match. His absolute peak was the Rumble 92 where he was allied with (but not managing) Flair. This clip only gives you a taste of how great he was and how his reactions, coupled with Flair's work, made this one of my favorite matches ever:

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:04 pm

A great thread of Bobby quotes:

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:17 pm

First off, RIP Brain. He was literally a one-of-a-kind talent and a joy to watch. There are so many of my childhood wrestling memories involving his work as a manager and on commentary.

Second, hearing the stories and watching some of his best moments on video is yet another reminder of how badly WWE needs more full-time managers. Everyone wants to perform as in-ring competitors, but I guarantee there is talent out there that could make a much bigger legacy for himself/herself by being a manager.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 pm

The undisputed greatest manager of all time. A role many strive to be even a fraction as good as Heenan and consider it a successful career.

Might not be a larger discrepancy between #1 and #2 at any single characteristic or metric in wrestling then what Heenan was to managing.

His pre-WWF work, too, just as a bumping semi-jobber, was rock solid and paved the way for what he was as a manager.

Many clown on his half-hearted work in WCW, but Heenan, even lazy Heenan was one of the more captivating, funny guys on the mic you'll hear. He would just get reckless on those Nitros and it couldn't be funnier.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:38 pm

One of the top ten most talented people to ever be involved in wrestling. Maybe higher.

Legitimately laugh out loud funny. It was all in the delivery and timing as some of that stuff was dad joke territory, but compare to someone like Lawler who is never funny and just makes you roll your eyes.

Love watching the old Prime Time's with Bobby breaking Monsoon up and Monsoon not being able to hold it together. All of that old USA stuff, The Bobby Heenan Show, TNT, Bobby was a legit entertainer who honestly could have been successful outside this dumb business.

Underrated as a wrestler, even in the later years when he converted to a mouthpiece. Obviously an all time bumper, just watch him fly around for Hogan's goofy punches.

He was younger than people think. He was younger at WMIII than Jericho is today. The white hair was deceptive.

Like Okerlund, i hope people who have never seen it take a look at the AWA stuff, where he was awesome, especially with Bock. What a pair. An all time pairing. It would have never fit in 80's WWF for a million reasons but would have loved to see Bobby/Bock vs Hogan in that setting.

Hennan is my favorite person ever to watch in wrestling.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm

What do you guy think of his early WCW work? Say up until 1997. I think it was good. It got very very bad afterwards and I think most people tend to think of that stuff when thinking of Bobby in WCW. But around 1996 he was a big component of my enjoyment in watching the show and I dare say in helping to give WCW a big time feel.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:27 pm

NutCrack wrote:What do you guy think of his early WCW work? Say up until 1997. I think it was good. It got very very bad afterwards and I think most people tend to think of that stuff when thinking of Bobby in WCW. But around 1996 he was a big component of my enjoyment in watching the show and I dare say in helping to give WCW a big time feel.
Can't remember if we mentioned it on the show, but I think people are too hard on his WCW work.

Yes, he largely stopped caring towards the end. But like you say, early on he was good. Part of the problem is once NWO took hold, he was kind of forced to work face a lot of the time.