WWE Hell in a Cell 2017 - October 8, 2017

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

WWE Hell in a Cell 2017 - October 8, 2017

Post by supersonic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 am

Airing LIVE on Sunday, October 8 at 8PM Eastern/5PM Pacific exclusively on the WWE Network!

Taking place at the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, MI. Tickets still available - http://www.ticketmaster.com/wwe-hell-in ... F8EED05876

The card:

Kickoff Match
Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin vs. Hype Bros.

SmackDown Women's Title Match
Natalya vs. Charlotte

Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler

Randy Orton vs. Rusev

WWE Title Match
Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

US Title Match
AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin

SmackDown Tag Titles - Hell in a Cell
The New Day vs. The Usos

Hell in a Cell
Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens

mlev76

Re: WWE Hell in a Cell 2017 - October 8, 2017

Post by mlev76 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Will have full show thoughts later, but for now, let me just say that I think the main event was the best HITC ever for four clear reasons:

1) Both wrestlers were willing to fully invest in the match and did some incredible. I wasn't surprised by this, but having seen enough of Shane and Owens in matches like this, it looked like a perfect pair on paper. And I think it lived up to it in practice.

2) It had moments of genuine concern from the audience for the safety of both men. You may say that's not a good thing, but if you're going to do something like this and claim it's a match that can alter a person's life, it's essential. The entire sequence on the top of the cage was stress filled and I know I wasn't the only one scared of what would happen next.

3) It played off past matches. The teases of both men falling off the cage, the sequence on the top of the cage and the ending all played homage to past Cell matches.

4) The ending. I don't think it's unfair to say that 2 of the 5 best finishes to WWE this decade involved Zayn and Owens. Where things go from here may be what carries SDL this fall into winter and beyond. Zayn's appearance was unbelievable moment and the fact that he didn't just save Owens, but also got him the win was tremendous.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Everything on top of the cell had me on pins and needles, literal edge of the seat drama. I legit screamed at the powerbomb up there. Now, does being scared for the life and well being of the participants make a match good? No, but it definitely helps make up for the rest of the match, which wasn't as bad as Shane/Taker, but wasn't really good either.

I know people mock Shane's strikes, but I don't know if they are mocked enough. The announcers are trying to tell me he has a "diverse MMA background," while Shane lands the weakest looking punches and kicks.

I can't call it a great match, but it was certainly the most drama filled WWE match I've seen in a long time.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I've come to the conclusion that WWE are probably happy with Nakamura as JAG in 2* matches. It gives the impression that if this is the best NJPW has got they can't be much and deters people from maybe taking a punt on the NJPWWorld subscription.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

steve wrote:I've come to the conclusion that WWE are probably happy with Nakamura as JAG in 2* matches. It gives the impression that if this is the best NJPW has got they can't be much and deters people from maybe taking a punt on the NJPWWorld subscription.
Most people have no idea what NJPW World is. The one's that do know what Nakamura can do.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:24 pm

NutCrack wrote:
steve wrote:I've come to the conclusion that WWE are probably happy with Nakamura as JAG in 2* matches. It gives the impression that if this is the best NJPW has got they can't be much and deters people from maybe taking a punt on the NJPWWorld subscription.
Most people have no idea what NJPW World is. The one's that do know what Nakamura can do.
WWE Network has about 25x the subscribers that NJPWWorld has with, I imagine, many people who subscribe to both.

One thing I can say unequivocally is that the continued Jinder push has done little to quell the extremes of hot takes on what he means, what he's doing and how good/bad he is. He's a cross between Punk's first World title reign and JBL's WWE title reign.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm

[quote="mlev76"Zayn's appearance was unbelievable moment and the fact that he didn't just save Owens, but also got him the win was tremendous.[/quote]

That's the part that really intrigues me. Sure, he saved a great friend from a really bad elbow drop from the top of HIAC. But the fact he also pulled Owens on top of Shane for the pin creates so much interest and excitement for the future of this storyline and SDL as you mentioned. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow night!

I liked the opening Tag Title match better than the main event, but you definitely make some damn good points in regards to the KO/Shane match. Two really good HIAC matches!

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm conflicted on the Sami Zayn turn.

Having him pull Owens out the way was great and a "moment". One of the most intriguing things they have done ages. But then in my head all I can think is that they have to bang the subtly hammer and have him drag Owens over to pin him.

I just personally think having the match end in a no contest and have Sami show some remorse/regret would have been perfect way to end the show and use a stretcher spot well for a change. Have him turn fully a few weeks down the line and stretch it out. Maybe I am expecting too much, maybe I am trying to poke holes in it already as they will ruin it like they always do, but that's just how I feel...

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:29 am

He pulled KO onto Shane for the pinfall, but he certainly didn't do the complete heel turn last night. The look on his face wasn't one of 100% commitment to KO. It was more of a "did I really just go through with that" kind of look. I'm very interested to see which direction Zayn goes starting tomorrow night on SDL.