WWE Mae Young Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Wiretaup

WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by Wiretaup » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm

rovert wrote:I hope they didn't change Shayna winning due to Vince and Kevin Dunn type reasons.
I'm usually never invested enough to where I can't hand wave incidents like that as "That's just the business," but I would get irrationally upset if this is where they are with Shayna at this point.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 pm

So, I just binge watched this entire fucking thing today. A few things...

I thought as a whole, this tournament exceeded my expectations. I went in thinking it'll be a lot of slop mixed with a few higher end matches. However, it was a lot of very consistent "good" matches. There was very little slop even with the first round matchups included with all of the PC babies. They kept everything relatively short which was insanely beneficial to all involved. Up until the finals, I loved the presentation...a successful formula for these WWE-centric tournaments. However, the live finals sandwiched between SD and 205...bad move. Wasn't special at all. The semis and finals in one night is the winning formula...don't ruin it.

Much like the Cruiserweight Classic...and to an extent the UK tourney...I feel like the WWE now has...idk, at least 16 women they should be able to use on NXT tomorrow and they are better then all but a few talents that have been around.

Some of my winners...obvious Kairi...but she was dunking on a 6ft rim...she had herself a series of very good opponents that gave her the ability to have good matches at every stage of the tournament.

I was impressed with Shayna Baszler after the first round. She has a long way to go from an in-ring perspective, but she's got the gimmick down and what she does well in-ring comes at the right time. The rest will come...she seems like she wants to get better. However, sorry to my liberal brothers...she's one very ugly woman and that is never not going to be a problem for those in charge in the WWE. To be fair, WWE makeup crew one of the best...theyve done a fine job with Ruby who has similar issues. With that said, I went from not liking her to liking her by the end of the tournament. You could slot her on NXT tomorrow as the lead heel. As an aside on the Horsewomen gimmick...I wish the other 4HW would be working toward a career like Baszler, but unless Ronda takes it serious and comes with the package, its a who cares situation. Shayna has separated herself as her own entity and right now comes off as a bigger star in the women's wrestling bubble then any of the other three (including Ronda, IMO, right now, but if Ronda took it seriously would clearly usurp her), but Roddy's chick and the tall drink of water are geeks right now. I wouldn't even be booking toward a 4HW v. 4HW feud...it would be a nice convenience for it to happen, but it shouldn't be a long term booking plan for the WWE right now.

Toni Storm came off as the biggest star in the tournament, but up until the Kairi match, I didn't dig much of what she was doing...poor opponents in R1 and R2 were big. The quarters versus Piper was fine, but it felt like they've done this a million times...it didn't feel like they took it to the next level like a pair of friends who have done this should do in matches like this.

I loved what the veterans did in the tournament. Santana Garrett, Serena Deeb, Mia Yim, Kimber Lee, Mercedes, Candice...all were good in the tournament. All of these girls should be on the main roster in roles already. Its unfortunate that they only have room for so many women on the active main roster. These girls would be perfect in enhancement roles, mid-card workhorse roles, and even pushed to an extent. All way too talented to not be getting a solid contract doing this at this point. Tessa and Rachel Ellering should have been in NXT a long time ago. Both way too talented to be occasional job girls.

Some newcomers I like...Bianca Belair. Her match against Kairi was one of, if not the best match in the tournament. She's got to be the women's rookie of the year. She's got a lot of talent. Jazzy Gabert looked great and had a good match v. Kimber Lee. She should be beating the fuck out of ICONIC in NXT right now. Also, in very limited exposure, I liked the Brazilian chick Conti...when she learns how to speak English, call me, I'll be in on her.

On semi-pushed or signed entities I'm OUT on Lacey Evans.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm

The first six are in for the 2018 edition...

*Kaitlyn
*Rhea Ripley
*Io Shirai
*Jinny
*Nicole Matthews
*Kacy Catanzaro

Tapings are at Full Sail on August 8th and 9th, looks like a quicker turnaround this year, and thankfully no JR.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 am

Zatara needs to be an NXT women's heel Raul Mendoza-type gatekeeper.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:29 am
Dude, stop. She was TERRIBLE.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 am
BoxingRobes wrote:
I honestly didn't see what you saw. Maybe it was rose tinted by being the first match and wanting whatever we got from Teegan to be good, but I thought she wasn't bad. I also didn't think the first week was anything that good besides the main event. My guess is, like last year, there won't be much by way of good matches in the first round, but subsequent rounds may be better than last year.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:12 am
BoxingRobes wrote:
Yeah, I don't know what you were watching. She was fine.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm

I've seen a few people on forums say it. But people seem to be really reluctant to criticise Tegan Nox's performance. More than understandable given future circumstances but man Michael Cole really oversold her relative to what she delivered in the ring. She seemed completely preoccupied with her surgically repaired knee. In her time off and time back she didn't seem to have made any stylistic changes to her offence.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:14 pm

rovert wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 pm
I've seen a few people on forums say it. But people seem to be really reluctant to criticise Tegan Nox's performance. More than understandable given future circumstances but man Michael Cole really oversold her relative to what she delivered in the ring. She seemed completely preoccupied with her surgically repaired knee. In her time off and time back she didn't seem to have made any stylistic changes to her offence.
I was pretty hard in her in my review, basically mirroring what you just wrote.

She didn't look good, and the opponent was not major league quality.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 am

The thing with Tegan is that she got the best of care and WWE did NOT rush her to the ring. She wrestled 17 matches this year prior to the MYC and whatever happens at the Performance Center. Yet she still came across as walking on ice a bit.

Lacey Lane seemingly was trained in that garbage Florida indy style where it is half US/Lucha. NXT probably need to re-tool her. MJ Jenkins has a great physical charisma but her punches and kicks are garbage.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:39 am

The Lacey Lane match looked edited.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:14 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:39 am
The Lacey Lane match looked edited.
They kept in the badly blown Fenix spot, so who the fuck knows what got cut.

Agree with Rovey on MJ's charisma. Haven't seen enough of her work to dispute or agree on any of that.

Kelly is someone I never really understood the praise for, but people always told me I was seeing the wrong stuff. I enjoyed her here.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:01 am

I LOVED the Evers v. Hiroyo Matsumoto match. More chick matches like that on WWE TV.

Conti isn't great right now...but I think there is something there. She has times when she looks nice n stiff. Needs to be limited to shorter matches right now...like in this match, she ran out of ideas at some point. I would be doubling down on MMA chicks if I were the WWE. She's going to accidentally bite her tongue off one day, tho. Bet. She's also got to stop crying after matches.

Nicole Matthews is just so Indie to me. Not a fan.

An amendment to an earlier take...WWE not only needs to double down on MMA chicks, but they need to double down on Joshi chicks...sprinkle in the occasional gymnast. I will accept nothing else.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 am

Alright...just catching up with first night of R2.

Wouldn't Hiroyo 'Lady Godzilla' Matsumoto call herself Lady Gojira? Great match, btw.

Kacey has a lot of potential and she's fun to watch. She's doing some very fun things in the ring for such a newb. Rhea was the perfect bigger girl to just catch her and let her do flippy doos around her. I don't even care about the botch...they played it off in a very Sabu way.

To me, I wouldn't have featured Lacey Lane. I like Conti a lot more. Plus, in R1, you already had the Kacey upset of the the big chick. I would have liked to see the story of Conti being the Judo/BJJ expert taking down a big bish like Kraven. Conti is unique and she's improved and she gives off a legit 'crazy bish' vibe. Lacey is sloppy. Shit match.

I'll still stick with my hot take...WWE should only be signing MMA chicks and Joshis. A lot of these Indie chicks come off as second rate outside of a few (Toni, Mercedes)...even the Aussie chicks have been disappointing in-ring since Emma.

Its rare that WWE presents a character better than they present themselves...Mercedes is one of them. They sell her as this super grizzled veteran and I buy it. Would love to see her more in NXT. Great gatekeeper type. Surely would be a better paycheck than her day job. Clearly, the match was pretty great. I really enjoyed it.