WWE Mae Young Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
CThrash13

Re: WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by CThrash13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:37 pm

I think Bianca Belair vs. Kairi Sane was probably my favorite match of the tournament so far, although Sane vs. Storm was pretty good too. Yim vs. Baszler ended up being good too, and they let Yim get in plenty of offense.

The competitors who really stood out to me are Sane, Yim, Storm, Kai, Niven, and Blanchard. Belair is damn good for having only a year of experience, and Ripley has the look and attitude of a future star. Taynara Conti will be fun to follow too.

I'm just not into Baszler's style personally, but she could probably step right into being NXT's top female heel. Her character is great, but she shines much more with a good technical wrestler in the other side of the ring.

Overall, I enjoyed the MYC up to the Championship will be LIVE next Tuesday I guess. The WWE definitely found several strong talents to add to NXT and/or the main roster if they get a lot of them signed.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

My pre-finals top 10 (only ranked those with 2 or more matches):

10. Candice LeRae
9. Dakota Kai
8. Mercedes Martinez
7. Abbey Laith
6. Piper Nevin
5. Bianca Belair
4. Mia Yim
3. Shayna Baszler
2. Nikki Storm
1. Kairi Sane

I think the final is the right combo, but I would have been fine with Storm instead of Shayna. Given their obvious direction of 4HW vs. 4HW, this makes sense.

Overall, I feel like Yim and Belair were the surprises of the tournament. Belair has tremendous upside given her age and experience. Yim could easily be on either brand right now as a Mickie James type utility player. Hopefully, she gets signed. Kai and Martinez were probably the two I was most disappointed with. Not sure if the injuries they talked about Mercedes played a factor but her matches were not up to my expectations until her match with Baszler.

I think given the quality of the matches from the first round of shows to this week's shows, the decision to put several up at a time was smart. I feel like the quality level of the first round over four weeks instead of one would have definitely diminished viewership.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:09 pm

Very curious how they are doing the final with regard to both the setting (taping post Smackdown in the arena) and the content right before it. Smackdown is pretty loaded tonight with three title matches and a Vince/KO segment, so my only guess would be that they do something on Smackdown to end the show that bleeds into the finals. Otherwise, might not turn out as well as it could have.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:58 pm

mlev76 wrote:Very curious how they are doing the final with regard to both the setting (taping post Smackdown in the arena) and the content right before it. Smackdown is pretty loaded tonight with three title matches and a Vince/KO segment, so my only guess would be that they do something on Smackdown to end the show that bleeds into the finals. Otherwise, might not turn out as well as it could have.
Not trying to ASSume... but given that I'm sure a majority of the crowd will just be casual WWE USA TV fans, they probably haven't followed the Mae Young Classic at all, and will have no idea who these two women are.

Not even video packages can convince many people to get invested in something they've never seen :\

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Honestly I can't wait for this to be over because I'm tired of going every where else and people doom and glooming it because Shayna is only in the finals in naked attempt by Steph to get Ronda to do a match and that if Shayna wins it will kill Kairi dead somehow?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 pm

John The Drummer wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Very curious how they are doing the final with regard to both the setting (taping post Smackdown in the arena) and the content right before it. Smackdown is pretty loaded tonight with three title matches and a Vince/KO segment, so my only guess would be that they do something on Smackdown to end the show that bleeds into the finals. Otherwise, might not turn out as well as it could have.
Not trying to ASSume... but given that I'm sure a majority of the crowd will just be casual WWE USA TV fans, they probably haven't followed the Mae Young Classic at all, and will have no idea who these two women are.

Not even video packages can convince many people to get invested in something they've never seen :\
I think the crowd was actually way more aware of them and the tournament than I expected. They definitely didn't have them from the outset of the match, but they absolutely got the crowd into it by the end. No complaints about any of it and having it in the big arena worked out in the end. Both women stepped up their games, but Sane is absolutely the right person to win and I'm glad they avoided all 4HW angle stuff last night.

I would've liked to see some additional matches or at least more of the competitors from the tournament being there. Not sure if the hurricane caused changed plans or that was always the way they were going to do things. Minor nitpick aside, definitely a successful tournament and final.

Wiretaup

WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by Wiretaup » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Liked the finals, and thought the right person won.

I'd have to see it again to be sure, but there were points where Shayna either looked awkward or she was too early for a spot and just had to stand there waiting for Kairi.

Still think Shayna has a TON of potential though. Her aura and ring presence are fantastic, even if her work isn't at that same level. And even though there were better skilled workers in the MYC, they need to strike with Shayna now since time isn't on her side. Put her on the BRAUN track immediately.

Your Toni Storms, Piper Nivens, and Bianca Belairs still have their whole careers ahead of them.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Wiretaup wrote:Liked the finals, and thought the right person won.

I'd have to see it again to be sure, but there were points where Shayna either looked awkward or she was too early for a spot and just had to stand there waiting for Kairi.

Still think Shayna has a TON of potential though. Her aura and ring presence are fantastic, even if her work isn't at that same level. And even though there were better skilled workers in the MYC, they need to strike with Shayna now since time isn't on her side. Put her on the BRAUN track immediately.

Your Toni Storms, Piper Nivens, and Bianca Belairs still have their whole careers ahead of them.
Been discussing this match with a few people today and I have the same thoughts w/r/t Shanya. She's still very raw and doesn't have the timing or instincts of wrestling down just yet. Everything she does is just a step too slow, a little more awkward than it should be. You can tell she's thinking about everything before she does it and it makes matches a little wonky. Sane absolutely delivered big here and carried the match IMO. Shanya was ...FINE but has a ways to go.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Wiretaup wrote:Liked the finals, and thought the right person won.

Been discussing this match with a few people today and I have the same thoughts w/r/t Shanya. She's still very raw and doesn't have the timing or instincts of wrestling down just yet. Everything she does is just a step too slow, a little more awkward than it should be. You can tell she's thinking about everything before she does it and it makes matches a little wonky. Sane absolutely delivered big here and carried the match IMO. Shanya was ...FINE but has a ways to go.
This was pretty obvious in this match moreso than any of the taped matches likely for two reasons: editing and the crowd. The Full Sail crowd, for better or worse, helped elevate everyone during the previous rounds. The people in Vegas were less connected and they really had to draw the fans in before they actually got the reaction they did. That was totally Sane who they'd be fools not to put the NXT title on now.

Shayna's creeping on 40, but has less than 100 matches under her belt so the comment about Braun is probably right on. if they pull the trigger on the4HW deal, that will help her get used to working on the bigger stage and some of the overthinking will naturally go away.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:20 pm

mlev76 wrote:
John The Drummer wrote:

I think the crowd was actually way more aware of them and the tournament than I expected. They definitely didn't have them from the outset of the match, but they absolutely got the crowd into it by the end. No complaints about any of it and having it in the big arena worked out in the end. Both women stepped up their games, but Sane is absolutely the right person to win and I'm glad they avoided all 4HW angle stuff last night.

I would've liked to see some additional matches or at least more of the competitors from the tournament being there. Not sure if the hurricane caused changed plans or that was always the way they were going to do things. Minor nitpick aside, definitely a successful tournament and final.
Well I was being Mr. Pessimist!!!! As you said, crowd wasn't 100% invested at first, but by the time the second of the match hit they were on goddamn fire! Completely blew all expectations I had for them out of the water!

Watch was good overall, felt like it was in fast forward (in a good way) a lot of the time, definitely had some strange spots when Shayna was in charge, but Kairi really made the match feel big and made it matter. Shayna isn't bad, but definitely still pretty green. Kairi just has that charisma that you can't avoid and get behind.

themib

Post by themib » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:50 pm

The Observer reports that the final was meant to be Sane vs. Storm before they decided on the Baszler/Horsewomen direction. Apparently Kavita Devi is signed.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Is anyone else surprised they didn't do more of the Horsewomen stuff in that moment?

I really expected Baszler to shove Sane to the ground after their post-match hug and that being one of the kickoff points to the US vs. THEM direction of the story but I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for that.

Wiretaup

WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by Wiretaup » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Is anyone else surprised they didn't do more of the Horsewomen stuff in that moment?

I really expected Baszler to shove Sane to the ground after their post-match hug and that being one of the kickoff points to the US vs. THEM direction of the story but I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for that.
I would have put money on that happening, but in retrospect I can totally see whey they didn't. They typically have liked their network tournaments to be "pure."

Let Kairi have her moment and establish her. Especially if she's winning the title at Takeover. The first real 4HW angle will instantly get Shayna her heat back whenever they decide to pull the trigger.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Oh for sure. It was one of those swerves where you just KNOW WWE would normally do X but they surprise you by doing nothing and actually creating a genuine moment for Kairi. I'm fine with the decision to hold off but I was REALLY expecting some big Shayna/Horsewomen angle right there.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:59 pm

As I've said on Twitter and stuff they are taking things slow with Rousey. They fear her bolting and/or having babies. Also, match at Survivor Series was never on the cards. The parking lot angle at the MYC tapings was just in the moment with zero real plans for what's next.

WWE changing their minds has been a big backstage feature of the WWE Mae Young Classic from its inception really.

I hope they didn't change Shayna winning due to Vince and Kevin Dunn type reasons.