WWE Mae Young Classic

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
John The Drummer

Re: WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Dang, I've heard some good things about Bianca, but that was a great match! Aaliyah has gotten REALLY good too? That hair whip tho hahaha!!!

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:08 pm

I wonder if they are going to keep announcing names after the first set of tapings because the show doesn't debut until after SS?

Padje

Post by Padje » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:04 pm

It's definitely being handled differently to the cruiserweight tournament. Bianca Belair's qualifying match being filmed for NXT and then just thrown onto wwe.com was odd.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm

achillesforever6 wrote:I wonder if they are going to keep announcing names after the first set of tapings because the show doesn't debut until after SS?
At the rate they are doing it and the method (they aren't particularly front loading it) that can only be the case. I think they've chose this route as they strongly considered delaying the MYC when they first learned of Io Shirai's injury. Remember when there was a period where nothing was being mentioned about the MYC?

There's lots of stories and bits and bobs I know about the MYC but telling them might hurt a wrestler's chances or betray a confidence. Which is annoying I know. From the outside looking in at the moment things do seem negative and unorganised but I've been told things are in hand and the main people involved - Sara Del Rey, Madusa and Matt Bloom have been working hard on the project. If anything it might be too laboured over with the talent being second guessed and nitpicked to death. From their talent, look & attire, attitude and an OTT background check.

There is a pretty big injury to a name talent that hasn't been disclosed publicly yet.

Some of the MYC entrants have medicals early next week.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:50 pm

I did find it surprising at the lack of names announced this week. Also surprised that they didn't upload the Vanessa Borne qualifying match and announce her. I think it's pretty clear that Zhao Xia and Nixon Newell will be in it. Based on the outsiders announced so far, it's clear they value women who've worked with Stardom (Tessa, Storm, Jazzy, Viper). I could see Santana Garrett, Shayna Baszler, or Kay Lee Ray being announced. I figured Mia Yim was a lock as soon as she left Impact.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:09 am

Grammarian wrote:I did find it surprising at the lack of names announced this week. Also surprised that they didn't upload the Vanessa Borne qualifying match and announce her. I think it's pretty clear that Zhao Xia and Nixon Newell will be in it. Based on the outsiders announced so far, it's clear they value women who've worked with Stardom (Tessa, Storm, Jazzy, Viper). I could see Santana Garrett, Shayna Baszler, or Kay Lee Ray being announced. I figured Mia Yim was a lock as soon as she left Impact.
Most fans don't know these people to be fair. They can reveal them on "WWE time" in the run up to the WWE Network era.

Nicole Savoy last night lost the Heart of Shimmer Championship to Shazza McKenzie. It is widely believed Savoy would have been signed with Kimber Lee, Heidi Lovelace etc if not for blowing out her knee at the NXT tryout.

If Tessa loses the tag titles is one to watch next:

The SHIMMER women who are in the MYC largely fly out to Orlando tonight or early tomorrow morning.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 am

Tessa Blanchard retained her SHIMMER tag title so you can assume she isn't going very fair as SHIMMER next taping is in November.

Going by the feedback I am a lot more confident in Deonna doing really well in the MYC. I know she has done one night tournaments before in minor promotions but wrestling five times in front of essentially the same crowd and continuing to get praised and not being "found out" at this level is a really big accomplishment for someone's SHIMMER debut weekend. A tremendous confidence boost too.

Mia Yim gave the impression to fans this was her last SHIMMER weekend. Which is significant as she start in preshow matches and worked her way up to main events having some of the better matches in SHIMMER history.

Casey Michael has Ayesha Ray, Lei’D Tapa, Barbi Hayden, Jessica James, and Miranda from Booker T’s Reality of Wrestling as all in Orlando in hopes of competing in the Mae Young Classic pending medical evaluations today. No one really stand out talents there to be honest.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 am

Problematic:

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:17 pm

VICE was also filming all weekend for one of their documentaries, with the primary focus being on Mia, so watch out for that.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 am

To add to the names rovert mentioned, Casey Michael today added that Marti Belle, Renee Michelle, and Santana Garrett were in Orlando getting their medicals done. Also reported that developmental talent Julia Ho (now Zeda) is in. By my count, we have a pretty good idea about 28 of the 32 participants, though some could be alternates.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:02 am

There's no scandal involved but Britt Baker isn't in the MYC.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:34 am

rovert wrote:There's no scandal involved but Britt Baker isn't in the MYC.
Bummer

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Nicole Savoy, 30, a California based independent wrestler is the former Heart of SHIMMER Champion, a title she won at SHIMMER Volume 80 in Dallas, Texas in 2016 and just lost this past weekend to Shazza McKenzie after returning from an ACL Injury she suffered at her WWE Tryout in September of 2016. Nicole served for two years on a military base in Shreveport, Louisiana, before moving to Sacramento, California to begin pro wrestling training. She attended Duane Gill’s Gillberg Pro Wrestling Academy and Sacramento Wrestling Federation.

Shayna Baszler, the current reigning AIW Women’s Champion is no stranger to the performance center, having helped train Nikki Bella while she was training from her return from injury over the Summer which was featured on Total Bellas/Total Divas. Shayna made the transition from MMA to Professional Wrestling on September 26, 2015 where she faced Cheerleader Melissa in a singles bout. She received a WWE tryout back in September of 2016.

Mercedes Martinez is the current reigning SHIMMER Champion, WSU Champion, nCw Femmes Fatales Champion, and one half of the SHINE Tag Team Champions. The 36 year old is one of the top names in independent wrestling and even was inducted into the WSU Hall of Fame this year.
http://squaredcirclesirens.com/big-poss ... sic-names/

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Trifecta is a fantastic stable. Savoy is probably the best smack talker in women's wrestling. All 3 had great crowd interplay in the show I went to

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Nixon's last few indie matches were fucking insane and the least "I've got a contract now" phoned in ever.