WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
outlaw911

WWE Mae Young Classic

Post by outlaw911 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

With it comming up soon I think we need start talking about it

themib

Re: wwe women's tournament

Post by themib » Thu May 18, 2017 6:58 am

The three certain names are Evie, Kairi Hojo and Nixon Newell. Looking forward to seeing who else they manage to get.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu May 18, 2017 7:22 am

Really hoping to see Candice LeRae in it after showing how over she is in that battle royal.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Mae Young Classic it is!

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 am

Well glad they realized the optics of calling the Moolah Classic would have been way worse so they chose to name it after her enforcer

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 am

achillesforever6 wrote:Well glad they realized the optics of calling the Moolah Classic would have been way worse so they chose to name it after her enforcer
Don't think that's true, is it? Mae trained Moolah, but afaik they were not together, romantically or otherwise, until well after Moolah's reign of terror ended.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 24, 2017 12:36 pm

Really happy with the names known to me who have been approached for this. It is clear WWE are very serious about the project and to me are rewarding both really skilled wrestlers and those who have worked hard over the past while to get WWE attention and confidence.

What happens post tournament is now the more interesting thing to me. They plan to sign well into the double figures. So they have to be aiming for a TV show. The Performance Center is near capacity so I wonder if they will opt for WWE UK style contracts. However the Women's Wrestling scene is a lot different and less than the UK one. A lot of Women's promotions rely on iPPV and DVD sales than the live draw so if the Women work under WWE UK style restrictions promoters may not book them. Also would they permit intergender?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Takachulo wrote:
achillesforever6 wrote:Well glad they realized the optics of calling the Moolah Classic would have been way worse so they chose to name it after her enforcer
Don't think that's true, is it? Mae trained Moolah, but afaik they were not together, romantically or otherwise, until well after Moolah's reign of terror ended.
IIRC, Mae Young was one of the primary trainers of Moolah but yeah I don't think it's fair to lump the two together. With that said, naming it after her seems a little lazy. I don't know. Don't have super strong thoughts on it.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah WWE will WWE it. Will march through controversy with their head down and nothing will really come of it. Part it is just Pro Wrestling the end of the day, part WWE is Teflon. Just look at their Snuka tribute video even:

TonyStress360

Post by TonyStress360 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Im just hearing about this. I hope they have non-roster talent in the tournament.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Perhaps I am underselling the accusations a bit, but i feel like what she has been said to have done was comparable if not less than what many well lauded male wrestlers have done.

In the end, it all comes down to something people forget-it's a company run by one family at the whims of that one family.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu May 25, 2017 5:44 am

Observer:
An interesting name who was asked to be in the women’s tournament is Viper

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 pm

rovert wrote: What happens post tournament is now the more interesting thing to me. They plan to sign well into the double figures. So they have to be aiming for a TV show. The Performance Center is near capacity so I wonder if they will opt for WWE UK style contracts. However the Women's Wrestling scene is a lot different and less than the UK one. A lot of Women's promotions rely on iPPV and DVD sales than the live draw so if the Women work under WWE UK style restrictions promoters may not book them. Also would they permit intergender?
The UK deals have pretty much worked themselves out OK, haven't they? Other than Floslam promotions, they're being allowed to appear on DVD and streaming, and even BSS losing to The Elite was released. Intergender is an interesting point.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu May 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Takachulo wrote:
rovert wrote: The UK deals have pretty much worked themselves out OK, haven't they? Other than Floslam promotions, they're being allowed to appear on DVD and streaming, and even BSS losing to The Elite was released.
The likes of WSU and SHINE are a bit scuzzy. Most UK indies are more professional in comparison.

Women's Wrestling has a couple of differences to mens. Before WWE puts up any restrictions there is already less work for women. For example typically there's one women's match for every six or seven mens matches on an indie card.

outlaw911

Post by outlaw911 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Here are some women wrestlers I could see part of this
Tyra Russamee(Thailand)
Queen Maya(Italy)
Aja Perera (Brazil)
Tatevik Hunanyan(Armenia)
Natalia Markova(Russia)
Sara Jay (NZ)
Sixt(Sweden)