Glory Pro - Naito vs AR Fox - 2/18/18

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
MobbVanDam

Re: Glory Pro - Naito vs AR Fox - 2/18/18

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Well this didn't stop ticket sales as this show is now sold out two months in advance.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 am

MobbVanDam wrote:Well this didn't stop ticket sales as this show is now sold out two months in advance.
tbf a lot of the tickets were sold before the Elgin situation blew up, but I don't expect this stuff to effect attendance here or elsewhere. That's not a value judgement or an injection of personal opinion, that's just my analysis of the size & scope of the story.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
MobbVanDam wrote:Well this didn't stop ticket sales as this show is now sold out two months in advance.
tbf a lot of the tickets were sold before the Elgin situation blew up, but I don't expect this stuff to effect attendance here or elsewhere. That's not a value judgement or an injection of personal opinion, that's just my analysis of the size & scope of the story.
It's gotta be a really weird dynamic for indy promoters nowadays. There is this group of (by my estimate) somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 hardcore fans that watch everything like a shark and crit and tear things down to the bones. They will be very vocal of any abuse of power, yet they are not your fanbase, they are not local, they will not buy your dvds. If anything, they will just pirate whatever few blow away matches your promotion has so they can be part of conversation w/ the aforementioned 2-5k bubble. Local indy promotion is about pounding the pavement and getting folks who are not hardcore fans into your building.

Ideally you can serve your local crowd well and just not be a shitbag and garner praise from the hardcore meta fans. Just some rambling thoughts.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
It's gotta be a really weird dynamic for indy promoters nowadays. There is this group of (by my estimate) somewhere between 2,000 and 5,000 hardcore fans that watch everything like a shark and crit and tear things down to the bones. They will be very vocal of any abuse of power, yet they are not your fanbase, they are not local, they will not buy your dvds. If anything, they will just pirate whatever few blow away matches your promotion has so they can be part of conversation w/ the aforementioned 2-5k bubble. Local indy promotion is about pounding the pavement and getting folks who are not hardcore fans into your building.

Ideally you can serve your local crowd well and just not be a shitbag and garner praise from the hardcore meta fans. Just some rambling thoughts.
I think with the addition of services like the pivotshare based streaming platforms and Powerbomb.tv, there is a value to consider the thoughts of non-local fans to an extent, but obviously, if you have an empty building, it really won't matter. I think the bigger issue is not local vs. internet, but rather, how to properly have a social media and interactive fan presence in 2017 given where things are now culturally. Many of the problems here were due to the very openness that has allowed independent wrestling to expand its reach. It's clearly a double edged sword which has swung both ways for Elgin.

Additionally, in case this wasn't patently obvious, all promotions need to establish an internal policy about relationships with fans and issues related to sexual assault and harassment. This is important not only to protect fans and to ensure a safe environment for them, but to allow promotions to have a procedure in place in case something like this happens again. And there is a 0% chance that this won't happen again.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Ethan Page seems like a good model in terms of balancing "fan openness" with not letting folks fully into his personal life or creating problematic relationships with fans.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:12 am

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 pm