205 Live Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
achillesforever6

Re: 205 Live Thread

Post by achillesforever6 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 pm

That episode of 205 in general was really solid, I was surprised by the finish of Swann/Davari where Swann hit his finishing kick got a 2 count, then took the time and still hit the Phoenix Splash, I was really expecting the knees to go up and Davari to get the cheap win. The promo video for The Brian Kendrick Vs Tozawa match was aces along with the match

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Finally seems like they are gearing up for Tozawa vs Neville.

205 Live has major problems, but it is the only WWE show I watch and don't skip. Takes me about 45 minutes to watch RAW and Smackdown when I bother watching.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm

random clearing my brain thoughts

I've been thinking about my disinterest in 205 Live - it's a show that I hear usually has at least one really good match a week, but I can't be bothered to watch it because of the storylines - and it eventually occured to me that this is the same exact issue people have with Lucha Underground.

But there's a couple differences. 205 Live has a tiny roster for a weekly 1 hour program: Tozawa, Daivari, Aries, Kendrick, Alexander, Gulak, Gallagher, Ali, Neville, Dar, Swann and Nese make 13. It may be 12 if Aries is gone for a while. Lince Dorado & Gran Metalik are around but not really used any more often than the local enhancement talent. (The wikipedia page charitably still includes Ho Ho Lun!) LU has closer to 40 wrestlers around. ROH is closer to that number. NXT is harder to pin down because they potentially could have a 100 but obviously use a whole lot less, but then they have the advantage of pulling someone in whenever they need a TV jobber for the week. If 205 needs someone to lose to Neville at RAW, they'd have use a guy like Ali even if it's messing with his current storyline. They don't have a deep enough roster to boost trust and who aren't doing something important. And by featuring the same small group of guys every week on 205, it makes each show feel similar with no urgency to watch.

The other difference I see is 205 seems to hit the same storylines every week.The storylines last a long time, but so do ones other places, it's how many times they're touched on without any lasting change. The Cedric/Fox/Dar thing probably would be over if Cedric didn't suffer an injury, but something like Kendrick/Tozawa seemed like it wasn't moving for months until they suddenly decided that was it with the lessons and it was now time to to do the blow off match. The Gulak/Ali feud has done well in establishing Gulak as a personality, but nothing really has changed since Drew came out as anti-flying. There are individual things that happen each week, winning/losing, Ali winning with a cradle to accidentally prove Gulak's point or whatever, but it all feels like it gets reset back next week and that none of these matches really matter until that blowoff match. And that wouldn't be a problem in itself, if it wasn't so long between start and end. I assume it's working this way because of that small roster, they know they have to stretch things out because they can't afford to go thru all the combinations quickly and WWE being so used to telling stories on PPV cycles that they're lost for the matches which aren't going to be on one, but the style of storytelling encourages tuning out for long periods of time to the point where you're not coming back.

I do think the 205 Live's storylines (Swann switched out Daviari's package so he got powder in his face!) are less fun than LU ones, but realize that's just a matter of personal taste. Still, if adding a half dozen new people came with a new championship (trios titles are all the rage) which took the place of one of LU's storyline, the show probably ends up more enjoyable.

None of this matters if 205 is having 3 great matches a week instead of 1 great match, or if they've having not just great matches but MOTYC matches regularly. (It does seem like WWE's more capable of changing how many people they present on the brand then the people are presented on the brand, so I'm not even arguing the matches.) And maybe it's too late for any change to matter, because people have long made up their mind if they're going to spend the hour on it every week - it's going to take an extended run of hot shows or a well marketed starting point to get people to care again. Which is a shame, because even just those dozen guys should be good enough for a core of a stronger show.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:59 am

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Really good 5-way elimination match on 205 Live last night. Enzo won which kinda stunk but isn't a surprise. Cedric Alexander really shined and will hopefully get his shot sooner rather than later. Enzo brings attention to 205 Live which is good, but I think he should've had to work his way up a little bit before becoming #1 Contender. Nonetheless, last night's 5 way was really good.

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 am

Does anyone in the WWE have a comparable in-ring year to Rich Swann? Nearly every week he is having the best WWE TV match on 205 live. Maybe TJP since half his matches have been with Swann. Too bad Swann never got a Takeover moment.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Weirzbowski wrote:Does anyone in the WWE have a comparable in-ring year to Rich Swann? Nearly every week he is having the best WWE TV match on 205 live. Maybe TJP since half his matches have been with Swann. Too bad Swann never got a Takeover moment.
He had a really cool TV match with Balor. They had great chemistry and Rich's personality coloured in the gaps that tend to be missing/blank in Balor's personality.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:29 pm

Don't know how much stock there is to put in Youtube numbers, but right now the post-Raw angle with the cruiserweights beating down Enzo's the most watched thing from Raw, by a good distance. Whether that's an Enzo thing, a Braun thing or an 'it wasn't aired during Raw' thing I don't know, but either way, it's got nearly a million views.

Whether they'll be convinced that Enzo is the way to go, or maybe that they should put a few more people who are actually over on the show (I'm still clinging to the idea that you might as well stick Zayn on there), I guess that remains to be seen. It is an issue that, watching it, nobody really stood out from the pack. Cedric hit the coolest move and Gulak at least got to do a little character spot. Aside from that, the only guy who actually looked like more than a guy in the crowd was Perkins.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm not a big fan of Enzo winning the title, but I do like the path his character is taking. If he's going to the rude heel, he'll be a good one. And it'll be fun to see who all is going to chase him and the title moving forward. He infused a little freshness to the show if nothing else, but I still feel they wish they'd move Kalisto to 205 Live as well. And your idea of Zayn being there is fine by me if it means he gets to have great matches every week. He's been so underutilized for so long it's not even worth writing about anymore.

I'd also like to see Gargano and Ciampa on 205 Live, as Gargano is really out of place on NXT right now. I get that NXT wants the two to have their big payoff there when Ciampa returns from injury, but there's no reason Gargano can't go over Enzo for the title and have the big feud happen on 205 Live. That's my idea anyway.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Serious question, would Neville be a contender for Most Improved for his character/mic work alone?

I have been watching him for years and I never once thought he would get anyway near this good. Obviously he has been a world class wrestler for years now, but 2017 has been an amazing year for him.

Could easily see him getting most under-rated due to the amount of PPV money he has missed out on from working dark matches..

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Somewhere there is a good story to be told with Enzo as champ. If Enzo can channel even half of the Miz, for instance, a story can be told of the main cruiserweights beating him up, just to escape again and again until someone gets hot. The goal could be even simpler, to get Neville off 205 while keeping him looking strong. All this assumes that someone in WWE has given this more then five minutes of thought though.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Empiresk wrote:Serious question, would Neville be a contender for Most Improved for his character/mic work alone?

I have been watching him for years and I never once thought he would get anyway near this good. Obviously he has been a world class wrestler for years now, but 2017 has been an amazing year for him.

Could easily see him getting most under-rated due to the amount of PPV money he has missed out on from working dark matches..
I'm not even sure underrated or most improved is even a good enough award for the guy this year. He's been the best heel on WWE programming, and that includes The Miz.

As far as the post right before this, I'd be surprised if anyone gave more than five minutes of thought to the Enzo and 205 Live situation.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:49 am

Assuming he’s gone, further incentive for the WM34 title Match to be Ellsworth vs. Enzo... on the actual PPV.

Shade thrown at Neville vs. Aries: “Unlike last year, this is a Cruiserweight Title Match worthy of being on PPV for the biggest show of the year. Take that you entitled Internet darlings and your whiny little fanboys.”

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 am

Per Fightful's Sean Ross Sapp, Neville left Raw due to unhappiness over a match change. WWE wanted to talk it out but he was not in the mood. Neville has not been granted release and there are no desires to cut him.