WWE Backlash 2017 - May 21, 2017

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: WWE Backlash 2017 - May 21, 2017

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 pm

supersonic wrote:There are numerous names that'd better benefit in the position on the roster and turn it into a full-time move up the card.

Orton against a heel Aries in Chicago? Fucking Christ would that match be hot.
Quite true. They chose Jinder for whatever reason and, through Smackdown, have done a good job elevating him into that spot.

What ifs are fun and all, but if by now you or anyone else who has watched WWE for any period of time (I'm at 32 years myself) doesn't get that they will push who they want to push when they want to push them, it's pretty much like still complaining that Raw is three hours. We know the arguments. Many of us agree with them. The people in charge don't.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu May 11, 2017 12:57 pm

supersonic wrote:There are numerous names that'd better benefit in the position on the roster and turn it into a full-time move up the card.

Orton against a heel Aries in Chicago? Fucking Christ would that match be hot.
My mans wins the Cruiserweight Title and chooses OPTION C.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

As if that comes close to maximizing Aries.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 am

Kickoff Match
Tye Dillinger vs. Aiden English

Luke Harper vs. Erick Rowan

Sami Zayn vs. Baron Corbin

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 am

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon May 22, 2017 10:32 am

That was one good paper view from the beginning of the preshow match to love very swervey, risky end.
- Even though they were on the preshow, Aiden English and Tye Dillinger weren't dogging it. They definitely want to be pushed harder later on and to be quite honest, I watched Aiden English since the start of the NXT reboot and that man has definitely stepped up his game.
- Speaking of people want to be pushed hard later on, Ziggler was the perfect fall guy for Nakamura. Already some of the IWC is complaining that it was not a squash match, but I always thought at New Japan that Nakamura's best work came from actual fight and that's what this was. Personally, this is the best performance that I've seen from Shinsuke in his entire WWE career.
- Breezango is becoming a highly potent comic relief, everything they were doing had me in stitches. Special shout out goes to Tyler Breeze whose costume changes were the highlight of the match. When they were wrestling the Usos at the end, it was really good too. I didn't know Fandango had that "dive" mentality in him. He and Breeze looked good and in losing and the Usos are on to the next challenge whoever they are.
- Sami Zayn wins and Barron Corbin lost. Aside from me being happy that it was in a complete carry job, and that that out of the ring then in the ring and clothesline sequence that Corbin did was sick, that first sentence put a smile on my face.
- The woman six man was alright, surprised the Welcoming Committee won but otherwise decent and inoffensive.
- Styles and Owens was a fantastic match. The way that the match ended I really hope the fued continues. These two men are premier quality talent and I'd like to see them being the faces of the company moving forward.
- Harper and Rowan was low on the totem pole for me, it wasn't a bad match but it was boring in some spots as well. I give Harper credit for being a great flying big man though.
- I give WWE all the credit in the world for pulling the trigger on Jinder Mahal. As long as he doesn't get injured moving forward, I think it was a pretty good risk. This was not only the biggest match in Mahal's career but by far his best one. While it doesn't absolve him from the less than stellar Cesaro match, he's proven that he can do the bare minimum to have a great match. Now it's up to him to become a star. And Randy was motivated on this occasion, always a plus. While the match was a bit rest hold heavy it was more action-packed than I expected it to be.

Good brand split PPV.
Last edited by BackLash on Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Mon May 22, 2017 1:41 pm

Whoever runs the VOW Account is one salty motherfucker, negativity would make Alvarez blush.

PPV was fine, I enjoyed English's singing gimmick and the Breezango match immensely, everything else was fine. Nothing was bad, nothing was great, just fine. Styles/Owens had a good match, but clearly just the starting point of a feud.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon May 22, 2017 1:54 pm

The PPV was shit outside of Nak-Ziggler.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 22, 2017 2:11 pm

ODonnell wrote:Whoever runs the VOW Account is one salty motherfucker, negativity would make Alvarez blush.
I ran it last night for most of the time. What was I supremely negative on? I was tongue-in-cheek most of the night because I don't take WWE too seriously anymore.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 pm

I feel like this show running the night after Takeover (this one in particular) hurt what was, in my opinion, a good show albeit unspectacular. One match was great (AJ/Owens) while two more (Nakamura/Ziggler and Zayn/Corbin) were very good. I think the last two matches certainly hurt the overall feel of the show, but the main event was not bad and had they gone a few minutes longer, it would have been actually good.

Match order could have been improved but given that the only big face win was Nakamura's, not sure how that would look.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm a little late here, and it also looks like I'm in the minority on the Nakamura/Ziggler match. I thought it was pretty blah honestly. I expected more from both guys. This opinion has also led me to another conclusion about my wrestling fandom. I'm really not that into Nak's in-ring work. His entrance is vibrant and really strong, and his character is just fine as well. Once the bell rings, however, his style just doesn't work for me.

His best match during his NXT/WWE run was his very first one against Sami Zayn. I really enjoyed that match, and maybe that also set an unfair standard in my mind. As he feuded with different guys in NXT, I kept going back to the fact he just didn't mesh well with whoever he was feuding with. After his match with Ziggler last week, I realized I'm just not a fan. I haven't watched any of Nak's New Japan content, so I can't judge him for that. I just know I haven't enjoyed his solo in-ring work the last year plus in WWE/NXT. I think he works okay in tag matches, but his singles matches just don't flow very well.

Am I the only one who hasn't enjoyed his in-ring work lately? Let the hate begin! Haha

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Wed May 31, 2017 5:03 pm

In New Japan, Nakamura would have 3 to 4 matches a year that would make you believe he was the best in the world, and coast on his gimmick the rest of the time. Also, he works best with an edge. The WWE babyface style of match doesn't do him a lot of favors.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Wed May 31, 2017 6:44 pm

CThrash13 wrote:I'm a little late here, and it also looks like I'm in the minority on the Nakamura/Ziggler match. I thought it was pretty blah honestly. I expected more from both guys. This opinion has also led me to another conclusion about my wrestling fandom. I'm really not that into Nak's in-ring work. His entrance is vibrant and really strong, and his character is just fine as well. Once the bell rings, however, his style just doesn't work for me.

His best match during his NXT/WWE run was his very first one against Sami Zayn. I really enjoyed that match, and maybe that also set an unfair standard in my mind. As he feuded with different guys in NXT, I kept going back to the fact he just didn't mesh well with whoever he was feuding with. After his match with Ziggler last week, I realized I'm just not a fan. I haven't watched any of Nak's New Japan content, so I can't judge him for that. I just know I haven't enjoyed his solo in-ring work the last year plus in WWE/NXT. I think he works okay in tag matches, but his singles matches just don't flow very well.

Am I the only one who hasn't enjoyed his in-ring work lately? Let the hate begin! Haha
This is, IMO, the best Nakamura match. Check it out to get an idea of him at his best;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x57wnkv_kota-ibushi-vs-shinsuke-nakamura-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-9_sport

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks for posting that. And thanks to GuestTimekeeper for his thoughts as well!

I enjoyed Zayn vs. Nakamura a bit more than the one you posted, but they're very similar in style. I'm a big Ibushi fan after seeing him in the Cruiserweight Classic, and maybe guys like he and Zayn bring out the best in Nak. And maybe Nakamura needs more than 10 minutes (Ziggler match) to tell his story.

I certainly don't hate the guy and won't be upset at all if he wins lots of gold in WWE. His style just isn't for me as much as the next guy it seems.