WrestleMania 34 Weekend (New Orleans, LA)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: WrestleMania 34 Weekend (New Orleans, LA)

Post by mlev76 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I've been sampling from the shows that I ordered (WWN shows) and Wrestlecon and there's definitely been a ton of good-to-great stuff and in many different styles. I was able to stay up through Gage/Penta, but was dosing hard through that and PCO/Walter, so hopefully the VOD goes up soon so I can rewatch that and the rest of the show.

From what I've seen and have been hearing, Riddle and Ospreay are probably the two having been having the best weekends thus far.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:12 pm

I watched the Impact vs Lucha Underground show on one screen while I had the WWE HOF on the other screen last night.

It was an alright show (I vs LU). Nothing really to write home about. The 6-Man tag and The Mack/Killshot vs LAX were both pretty solid, but that's about it. Realized some guys had had multiple matches the same day, so completely understandable.

Main event was supposed to be a tag team match with Fenix, Aries, Pentagon and Alberto El Patron... but there was no sign of Patron, so it was turned into a triple threat. Match definitely felt like it was thrown together at the last minute, so can't wait to see what happened with Patron.

Really enjoyed the HOF. Far too long, but the good speeches were amazing. Mark Henry's was by far the best of the night.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Spring Break was definitely an experience and that was just watching it at 6am in the UK with a pot of coffee. PCO/WALTER was great but nothing else stood out for me other than being enjoyable.

I was very disappointed in EVOLVE 103 but Mercury Rising was much, much better. With ZSJ gone and heavy rumours of Kieth Lee going I really have to wonder what big draws Gabe has other than Riddle. Very interested to see if he brings in someone new but the competition for talent is very fierce now..

I watched Impact vs Lucha Underground today and really enjoyed it. Several good to great matches and it is a free show. It is interesting to see guys like Eli Drake and LAX in front of a hot crowd for a change and how better they look as a result. It's obvious to see, but it is nice to see them stand out.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:38 pm

This was my fourth Mania weekend (29, 32, 33, 34) and was absolutely the best one. Each year it feels more and more like what is hot from wrestling is represented, but this year was on another level with an actual NJPW presence this year. The consistency of good shows was on another level. I went to 9 shows (including Mania) and I'd say only one of those wasn't that great (Progress on Friday). Plus, NXT had it's best show ever. Spring Break was legitimately the most fun I've ever had at a wrestling show. Just overall an incredible weekend.

Top 10 matches I saw live:
1. Johnny Gargano vs Tomasso Ciampa NXT Takeover
2. Will Ospreay vs. Matt Riddle WWN Supershow
3. WALTER vs. PCO Joey Janela’s Spring Break 2
4. Ricochet vs. EC3 vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Killian Dane vs. Velveteen Dream vs. Adam Cole NXT Takeover
5. Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tomohiro Ishii Rev Pro
6. Aleister Black vs. Andrade Cien Almas NXT Takeover
7. Walter vs. Zack Sabre Jr Progress Chap 67
8. Ronda Rousey/Kurt Angle vs. HHH/Stephanie McMahon Wrestlemania
9. Rey Horus/Rey Fenix vs. Flamita/Bandito Wrestlecon
10. Charlotte vs. Asuka Wrestlemania

Top 5 wrestlers:
1. Will Ospreay
2. Matt Riddle
3. Zack Sabre Jr.
4. Walter
5. Johnny Gargano (just because it was only one match, but my god what a match)

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 am

If you swap your 5 and 6, we have the same matches in the Top 5. Not all in the same order, but close enough.

The Ronda Tag was Top 10 FUN, but not sure I can compare it with matches that had legit workrate. It was fun and memorable though.

I, too, loved Charlotte v. Asuka...glad someone else is putting in a Top 10. It'd make mine.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:21 am

At this point in my watching, I value well-executed spectacle as much as any "work ratey" type of thing.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:06 pm

My favorites were:
1. Will Ospreay vs. Matt Riddle (WWN Supershow)
2. Walter vs. Pierre Carl Ouellet (Joey Janela’s Spring Break 2)
3. Gargano vs Ciampa (NTX Takeover)
4. Matt Riddle vs Minoru Suzuki (Bloodsport)
5. Ringkampf vs Seikimoto / Sawa (Evolve 102)
6. Kenny vs Cody (Supercard of Honor)
7. Deona Purazzo vs Madison Eagles (Shimmer 100)
8. Ronda Rousey/Kurt Angle vs. HHH/Stephanie McMahon (Wrestlemania)
9. Nick Gage vs Timothy Thatcher (Bloodsport)
10. Toni Storm vs Nicole Matthews (Shimmer 100)

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 pm

I would highly encourage those who did not attend in person to watch the Wrestlecon Supershow on HSWN. All but one of the matches were at the very least good and the one non "good" match was a fun segment utilizing those involved exactly how they should be used.

Ishii/Cobb, the Lucha tag match and the four way with Ospreay, Brooks, Guevera and Stickland are the matches to go out of your way to see if you are just picking and choosing matches to watch.

2Rasslin

Post by 2Rasslin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Just recovered from the NOLA trip. I was only able to do 3 shows as it doubled as a family vacation. I finally made it to a Takeover and went to the Rev Pro show because of the Ishii v ZSJ match. The third show I made it to was picked strictly because it fit in my schedule and that was the Sunday morning Axxess. While I didn't get Curtis Axel or Titus O'Neal's autographs I did get to see a pretty fun NXT show. The card was:
Progress Tag Champs Grizzled Young Vets v Heavy Machinery - interrupted by War Machi....Raiders
Progress Women's Champ Toni Storm v Lacey Evans
Candice LeRae v Billie Kay
Keith Lee v Lars Sullivan
WWN Champ Austin Theory v Marcel Barthel
NXT Women's Champ Shayna Bazzler
UK Champ Pete Dunne v Lio Rush - the highlight of the show
NXT Tag Champs O'Reilly & Strong v Mustache Mountain
Progress Champ Travis Banks v No Way Jose
NA Champ Adam Cole v Akira Tozawa

Not the show I would have picked otherwise but a fun show

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:25 pm

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am

So I'm almost finished with Mania weekend and I gotta say that this might be the best mania weekend ever or at least I can't come up with a better one (although the Dallas one is really close). I saw EVOLVE 102,103, WWN Supershow, RevPro, Crash, Wrestlemania, Takeover, a few matches from Supercard of Honor and LU vs Impact, Dezmond Xavier vs Ospreay and Spring Break. I maybe will watch Bloodsport one day although I highly doubt it. Here are some of my thoughts. I'll start with the negative thoughts:

1. I hate EVOLVE crowds - I remember not even liking them during prime EVOLVE in 2016 except La Boom and Mania weekend. Coming into those shows I was really hyped seeing these cards, but a lot of times I came out dissapointed. In a lot of matches you could hear that the only guy making any noise was Alan4L, who was trying to start the chants and very few people wanted go along with him. It kind of seemed like the only guys they were actually into were Riddle, Ospreay, Lee, Walter and Sabre. Maybe Darby Allin. For me it ruined some of the matches, especially ZSJ ones. ZSJ vs Sawa & ZSJ vs Riddle never hit ****+ level, which was I expecting and given how awesome Zack was in the NJC, I blame EVOLVE crowds. Also probably because of them next year Gabe is not going to bring indie puro guys, because they didn't give a crap about Sawa or Sekimoto.

2.I'm not that big of a WALTER guy - for the last year, year and a half a lot of people seem to be on this WALTER is Best in the World bandwagon that I'm still not into. I mean I can't deny some of his matches like him vs Starr on wXw London, vs Dragunov in wXw 16 Carat final, vs Dragunov vs Bad Bones at Carat this year or vs Thatcher in Progress (all of those I went with ****1/2), but I feel like a lot of his other hyped matches really don't hit that level for me. I'm not denying he's good, but his matches disappoint me way too often to go BITW with him. I usually end up disappointed when he's facing other big guys like Keith Lee(both in EVOLVE and PWG). My favorite matches from him are the ones, when his opponent(who's much smaller than him) is selling like a beast and trying to make WALTER look like a monster. Unfortunately this weekend he was facing Catchpoint, Sekimoto & PCO, so none of those matches really hooked me(I think I went for all of them like ***-***3/4). I remember PCO taking a hell of a beating at Spring Break, but it still never hit me the way it did to others.

3. I hate ROH production - seriously they had like 6,000 people in the arena and if it wasn't for those moments when they cut to commentary table, you probably wouldn't believe that they had so many people. Up until that moment I think they went full Dragon Gate with inflating the crowd. I think that just for this show ROH should be nominated for most disgusting promotional tactic, because they made it look no different than when they were running 2300 Arena and 700 people in the attendance.

4.I hate WWE multiman ladder matches - I don't really hate them, but I think I'm the low man on Takeover ladder match (***1/2-***3/4). Given that about 2 weeks ago I decided to rewatch TLC I with Hardys, Dudleys and E&C and I would probably go with rating for it, I thought I'm just done with ladder matches, but than I watched Young Bucks ladder match and Benoit vs Jericho from Royal Rumble 2001 and I realised that I still like them. I just hate the WWE structure of a multiman ladder match, becuase it has always been the same since Hardys, Dudleys and E & C and whether they call it 3 way tag team ladder match or Money in the Bank or whatever the fuck it's still the same match. It's 6-10 guys with 2-3 guys at each moment in the match doing a spot, when they jump off/ are pushed off/are thrown off the ladder/ringpost/apron into table/tables/ladder/other people in the match until everybody does like 3-4 of those spots except one person and this person wins the match. It's the same since year 2000 and given that it still works it's probably going to be the same for the next few years.

Positive thoughts
1. Coming out of this weekend I have 3 matches that right now I would put in my top 10 matches of the year (Riddle vs Ospreay , Fenix & Rey Horus vs Flamita & Bandido, Gargano vs Ciampa) and 13 matches overall that I would rank ****+. Except the G1 Climax and Wrestlekingdom(because it's on jaunary 4th) I can't think of any moment during the year when it's even possible to have so many great matches in such a short period of time. I also love the variety that we had this year with lucha guys coming, NJPW, american indie guys, british indie guys and also the fact that everybody was trying to do a show with a kind of different vibe. Even if guys were doing 7 matches that weekend I felt like a lot of them tried to have different match each time. I wish that some shows wouldn't be as long so the crowd would stay hotter throught them( Spring Break, Mania, ROH), but even the long shows weren't that bad.

2.Takeovers are still the safest bet in pro wrestling. A lot of people argue that this Takeover was the best off all time and maybe the best show of all time. I wouldn't go that far, but it was still such a fantastic show. Johnny Gargano's connection with the crowd is out of this world and I can't wait until he wins the NXT title.

3.There weren't as many shows as last year, so you could actually watch all the stuff.

4.Flamita & Bandido touring tag team match is one of the best things in wrestling today. From what I've seen and what I've heard they always deliver and I really hope that they can do one in Europe in the next few months.

5.WILL OSPREAY IS THE MAN AND I WON'T HEAR OTHERWISE. I mean seriously the stuff that he did last weekend was out of this world great, especially given that he might have worked hurt. With his matches with Fox, Riddle, 6 man at RevPro which were great and really good stuff with Xavier and 4 way Wrestlecon. His match with Riddle might be the best match that I've seen from him ever. For me it's really hard not to consider him top 10, maybe top 5 guy in the world. Hell, maybe even the best in the world. Okada and Naito don't really have a year that they had last year (Although I still love Okada I feel like the crowd almost stopped believing that anybody except Naito and Kenny can win againist him, we'll see with Tanahashi) . Kenny's stuff with Cody is awesome, but their match at Supercard of Honor seemed like it should have been a lot better. ZSJ's performances in EVOLVE really don't make me exicted. Ishii is not doing anything in NJPW. As I mentioned before I'm not that big of a WALTER guy. I didn't love Minoru Suzuki's top matches as much as other people did. Is Pete Dunne doing anything outside of NXT right now? Nobody in EVOLVE impressed me as much as Will. And if anybody will tell me that he can't sell please watch the Riddle match and see his facial expressions and try telling this again. Johnny Gargano is definitely a candidate, but he's got so much less matches that are taped. I can't come up with anybody from the main roster that has the year that he has. I'll probably change my mind like 10 times this year, but given his consistency and effort Will being BITW is a very possible thought right now.