Winners and Losers from Mania Weekend

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Winners and Losers from Mania Weekend

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:57 pm

We can discuss the merits of WWE proper later on...but for now...winners and losers from the Weekend that was...

Winners

Keith Lee - several matches **** or better showcasing everything that makes this guy an attraction. Everyone knows who he is now. Perhaps the hottest commodity coming from the weekend.

Joey Janela (and by proxy, Penelope Ford) - made himself one of the hottest Indy commodities with his outrageously fun show.

Ring of Honor - Great show. Big house. Big gate. This is also a big feather in the cap of the Young Bucks for when their WON Hall of Fame resume gets discussed in the figure.

Progress Wrestling - a hit of a show and their talent was all over the place. Featured on WWN AND WWE cards, no company did more for themselves from a marketing perspective.

FLOSLAM and FiteTV - Despite nonsense on Twitter from a few people that don't understand their own hardware...I had zero issues with these services. FLOSLAM had one hiccup where I guess they needed to reset something on their end and did so between a match...I missed no in-ring action. ROH's stream was flawless.

Drew Galloway - The man just won. Period. That check couldn't clear fast enough. See you on Wednesday, brother.

NXT - We should stop doubting Takeovers.

Losers

Mania Weekend - We've hit the oversaturation point. What used to be a fun showcase of the top Indie talent in a focused, somewhat agreed upon schedule by the major players (as to not get in each other's way) has now turned into this absolute clusterfuck of events. Yeah...the weekend, if you focus on the good stuff, is still fantastic...but there is so much trash, nonsense, and clear money grabs, it seems this weekend has jumped the shark. Its beyond overwhelming, and wading through the junk for many is a daunting task. If you're sitting at home and focus on the events that can afford to get broadcast somewhere, you may not see this issue, but if you're in Orlando and there is 123 events, including shit like HANG OUT WITH THE KLIQ, Hornswoggle @ an Irish Bar, Watch Marty Jannetty drink himself into a blackout, Dan Maff seminar @ a local nightclub, et al it just gets eyeroll-y.

Also, there is a clear "overwork" point for these wrestlers booking themselves 3-4 times per day where the quality of the work suffers. Matt Riddle made a ton of money this week...awesome. But, as a fan, do we really want to see these guys go into coast mode after drinking 3 Monsters at 2am to be functional for a match? Its fun when its Chris Hero dressing up as a radioactive octopus wrestling Drew Gulak in a space money suit while throwing boxes and floaties at each other as I'm drunk off my ass...its not that fun when I'm trying to watch MIchael Elgin try and stay awake while squatting two 400lb men.

Also, you're getting very clear, inferior products by allowing half of these trash companies to come down. When you've got Progress, Evolve, ROH...very solid companies as well as WWE's own Indie product having guys working their ass off for premier shows...you're CHIKARA nonsense, CZW, FEW, grimy lucha, random women's shows, etc. stick out like a sore thumb. These inferior products have no business at a weekend like this.

WWNLive streaming - Fuck you.

syxxpakk

Re: Winners and Losers from Mania Weekend

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm

I agree with all of this, save Joey Janela if only because I didn't watch that.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Dare I say Will Ospreay. To me between his match in ROH and from what I hear about the wrestlecon supershow. The guy looked leagues above most people performing this weekend.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:46 pm

Don't shit on Maff's wisdom - 2x ROH Tag Champ and won the first ever match in ROH history to boot, motherfucker.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm

I have had a very heavy WWN/Flo binge this past week having watched every Evolve show in the past 6 months to catch up for this weekend.

The Winners for me are Kieth Lee, Matt Riddle, Ethan Page, TK Cooper, Travis Banks and Toni Storm hands down.

I couldn't go anywhere without seeing a Kieth Lee or Matt Riddle match and they were excellent in all of them. Lee is pretty much brand new to me having barely watched ROH anymore but he has killed it every single time. For someone to burst out of the unknown (Sorry Joe and other Texas indie aficionados) and have the presence, let alone the move set, to look a million bucks is insane to me. Riddle's weekend culminating in the WWN title match was also excellent and the possibilities are endless in 2017 for Matt Riddle.

I mentioned that Kieth Lee has the presence of a star, Ethan Page carries himself like he's the biggest star on every show. Reminds me sooo much of Kevin Steen in his mannerisms and I can easily see him going on and holding the Evolve or WWN Title for a very long time. His feud with Darby Allin was great and he carried it to a level I never expected it to hit (not a knock on Darby at all). He would fit PROGRESS like a glove and would love to see him as a regular import.

South Pacific Power Trip are the hottest tag team in the world. No doubt about it. It's a crime against wrestling they are being broken up by Visa issues. Hopefully they have made such an impression over the past 3 months they get to work in the US rather than the UK. Toni Storm delivered on the Stardom hype on the biggest stage of her life with Jinny. Super excited to them battle of the Women's Title in PROGRESS.

Loser of the weekend was the crowd and their stamina. Thursday to Saturday killed them. Compare Evolve 80 to the WWN Supershow. Night and day. The venue looked great for Evolve 80 and PROGRESS but by the WWN Supershow the building felt cavernous due to the lack of atmosphere. It's not a criticism, but my word did it kill the perception of a hot show on the screen. Would love to here from people who attended this weekend and how they coped. Definitely killed alot of my interest in traveling out next year as it looked like a brutal marathon.

Minor disappointments include Tracy Williams, who was surprisingly flat all weekend until exploding in the WWN main event, and Michael Elgin.

Matches of the Weekend so far in no particular order are Ethan Page vs Darby Allin, Pete Dunne vs Mark Haskins, SPPT vs JML, DIY vs AOP vs The Revival, WWN Title match and anything with Kieth Lee in.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Elgin overbooked himself and was cashing checks at certain points. I'm not mad at'em...it was a comical Saturday for him.

As for the crowd...there were 4K fans for ROH and they were pretty hot for most of the show.

Another near 15K at NXT and they were hot.

The remaining crowd...couldn't carry WWN...I get it. Shouldn't have booked that show at that time.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm

Well if anyone is a loser this weekend it's definitely Chikara , they had two shows that didn't draw.

Winner of the weekend obviously is Virgil his run at Spring Break Show was legendary. But all seriousness Keith Lee was the winner had a ton of great matches over the weekend
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Marty Scurll looked like the biggest fucking star two years in a row. He just holds rooms in the palm of his hand and it's incredible to watch.

Ricochet is right there next to him. He's shown so much growth and maturity with his style and is still so young. So great at everything he does.

Joey Janella raised his stock so much that I hope he can quit doing silly risky shit. He's not incredible or anything but seems very smart.

Wrestling Revolver booked a great show with the best fucking gimmick and I had more fun than ever. I'll almost definitely check out their shows now.

Big loser was my wallet for buying too much shit and going to too many shows, and me again for sleeping through most of JJSB. WHOOPS

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Elgin overbooked himself and was cashing checks at certain points. I'm not mad at'em...it was a comical Saturday for him.

As for the crowd...there were 4K fans for ROH and they were pretty hot for most of the show.

Another near 15K at NXT and they were hot.

The remaining crowd...couldn't carry WWN...I get it. Shouldn't have booked that show at that time.
As I said, I had a very WWN heavy weekend. I won't be watching the ROH show till next weekend probably. Same for Wrestlecon if I have time between real life and the Sakura Genesis.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm

So far...

Winners:

Young Bucks - Main event a massive ROH house and win the titles from the Hardys as (I think?) your only show of the weekend? Easy street!

Keith Lee - Not as bright as Ospreay last year but still had a couple of very, very good matches and is clearly being positioned as the top guy for Evolve going forward.

Everyone in the Wrestlecon ten man - Except poor AR Fox, SOMEONE CATCH HIM, PLEASE!!! But this was easily the most entertaining match of the weekend so far.

SPPT - I'm yet to see progress but are certainly the team everyone is talking about and their match with Jaka and Dickinson was excellent!

Losers:

Tracey Williams - Last year I thought he had a good weekend, this year he was very dry in my opinion, even last nights main event was bleh.

WWN - Progress stream failed, The Evolve stream for 81 took a bit to get going, Galloway dismantled Rush and Riddle only to leave the next day, a couple of flat crowds meant a disappointing week compared with last years where the action was a tad better overall for me. Still had some very good stuff mind, just some unfortunate changes being forced on them.

Haya

Post by Haya » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm

Agreed with a lot of the stuff you guys have said, especially Chikara being one of the biggest losers.

I didn't watch a great deal, but the Janela Spring Break was my personal favourite, and I definitely want to see more of him - And now I know full well who Penelope Ford is, not just the few gifs I've seen of her recently. She's very fun to watch.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 am

Keith Lee will be in NXT by this time next year.
Who's Rob Viper ?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:14 pm

AJ Styles, got a great match out of Shane McMahon how about that for a HOF Resume on top of everything else?

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:28 pm

I agree with the OP. Would add UK Wrestling between their matches and their professionalism and fan friendliness.

Empiresk is on the ball with Toni Storm. While SPPT stood out in the ring she put a "name to a face" meeting influential people for the first time. She looks how she looks but she also is high likable personality wise. Heard endless talk about her.
dancecab wrote:AJ Styles, got a great match out of Shane McMahon how about that for a HOF Resume on top of everything else?
A made man politically for sure now.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I'd put Reigns in the winner column and Rollins in the loser column. Both matches received a health amount of criticism (the latter less understandably in my opinion) and in both instances, their respective opponents were more of the focus than they were. In Reigns' case, that probably works to his benefit since most (not all) people get why he went over and the level of resentment towards him is probably less so than it would be if Taker was at all close to being ready for another match afterwards.

In terms of Rollins, this should have been his definitive win and instead, people are more or less moving on without him getting any boost from this match. I actually liked this match much more than most, but consensus seems to be people disliked it mostly due to Triple H's refusal to veer from his match formula.