DEFY Wrestling: Seattle's "Superindie"

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
syxxpakk

Re: DEFY Wrestling: Seattle's "Superindie"

Post by syxxpakk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

It's worth the 3.99 subscription. No MOTYC like the first ROH show, but overall it's prob better than the first ROH show.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:29 am

The only thing holding me back from subscribing is that I am not sure how often they are going to run shows. I haven't rewatched it yet, but hoping Cody/Shane is just as good on video as it was live!

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:09 pm

YES! Defy uploaded the main event from Defy 1, Shane Strickland vs Cody Rhodes, for free! Definitely one of my favorite matches from the year so far.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:18 am

Pentagon Jr got struck with a family emergency and had to cancel his appearance at Defy tonight, but made a video saying he will be coming to Seattle soon (sounds like at the next Defy show) and isn't coming alone, he's bring Fenix!! So stoked!

Looks like Jeff Cobb is having some travel issues too, but hasn't posted an update for 20 hours, so hoping he is able to make it and won't have to cancel!

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:04 am

It's almost 2:00am, and I should be sleeping, but I really want to type this up while everything is fresh! Sorry for anything that comes across goofy, tired lol

I went and saw the hot new rising wrestling promotion here in Seattle, DEFY Wrestling, tonight, and what a fun show it was. This was only their second show and it was incredible. The first show earlier this year was a ton of fun, but this one felt like things were falling in place perfectly with. The crowd was a little to "smarky" an "trolling" at times, especially the second half of the show after the fire alarm went off, forcing a 15-20 minute break, but overall everyone was in good spirits and enjoyed a great show. Quick run down...

Darby Allin d. Mike Santiago
The show started off with Jeff Cobb's music hitting the PA, but Mike Santiago came out to troll the crowd. It was well known that Cobb was having some travel issues, so they were building it up as if he didn't make it to the show. Santiago asked for anyone to come out, and Darby Allin (who was originally scheduled to face Cobb) came out. I have heard Darby's name thrown around a lot lately, I think he's a regular in EVOLVE now (I haven't been following EVOLVE lately...) and WOW, he is nuts. He was definitely a highlight of the night for me. Mike Santiago is a local who I was first introduced to at the last show, and he is very solid as well. Darby picked up the win and won the crowd over easily.

Los Sexi-Mexis (Sonico and Ave Rex) d. Batboy & La Avispa
I was really hyped for this match, but it seemed there were some timing issues going on from time to time. It was still good though, and these four are some of my favorite locals I have seen! Batboy was bullying around Avispa near the end, and lead to them losing the match, only to have Avispa join up with LSM to fight him off.

Nick Radford d. King Khash
Nick Radford has recently been seen on Monday Night Raw as a Braun Strowman jobber (the 4 or 5 on 1 match), and King Khash is a regular down in Portland, OR. This was a fun, and short, match. It ended with Khash humbling Radford with a modified Camel Clutch, giving him the win when Radford couldn't defend himself, but then having the decision changed after he wouldn't let go of the hold.

Shane Strickland (Killshot of Lucha Underground) d. Lio Rush
Mother. Of. God. This match was absolutely incredible. Flippy dippy spot fest at its finest, with a ton of really hard hits too. I was so stoked for this match and it met EVERY expectation I had for it. The crowd was on their feet near the end when SO MANY falls could have ended the match. I won't lie, I jumped up like a little girl and screamed expletives multiple times. This could have just been the smarky crowd, but within the first 5-10 minutes there was a "fight forever" chant, and dammit, they fought forever. I don't get how these two guys went as long as they did, but anyone who doubted either's ability was turned into a fan.

---Intermission---
Host, Steve Migs, came out to the ring to announce that the next show, taking place in late May, will be main evented by Shane Strickland taking on John Morrison!!!

Eddie Van Glam d. Steve West
This match was a super fun "post intermission" match. Eddie Van Glam is nothing but entertaining, and Steve West has so much heat, especially since he wears a wallet chain on his wrestling trunks... EVG won.

Angelina Love d. Kate Carney & Su Yung
As Angelina Love was making her entrance, the music stopped and the fire alarm went off :( . It sounded like either the fog machine got too think, or some asshole was smoking weed in the bathroom (are we in high school!?). Everyone was told to leave, as is policy, and the fire department came to make sure everything was fine. They left, everyone cheered for them, and the show continued.
There was an obvious "lull" in the crowd after the delay, and it seemed like some of the audience even went home, but the show picked right back up. This match was really good. I have never seen Su Yung wrestle, but she was very good, and has a great appearance as well. Angelina Love was cool to see in person as well. She is VERY beautiful in person, and was a solid worker. Really great women's contest, and I hope Su Yung returns soon!

Jorel Nelson d. Carl 'the Catch' Cunningham
I believe these two guys were in the same Strowman jobber squash that the guy above was in too... but DAMN! This match was phenomenal! I saw "The Catch" at the last Defy show, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen Jorel, but these two delivered so well. I thought this would be a "cool down" match before the main event, but nope, this got the crowd fired right back up after the delay!

Davey Richards d. Jeff Cobb
The original main event was scheduled as Davey taking on Pentagon Jr, but due to a family emergency, Pentagon had to cancel, so the match was changed to, what I'd call a dream match, Davey Richards taking on Jeff Cobb! Cobb is INSANELY over with the Seattle crowd, as he has fought in our 3-2-1 Battle promotion numerous times, while Davey Richards, who has never wrestled in his home state of Washington, had a ton of heat from the crowd. This match was incredible. Not as good as Rush/Strickland, but it was still really damn good and STIFF. Richards did some insane suicide dives, and one looks like it could have knocked Cobb out since he nailed him right on the chin! Richards ended up picking up the win with a leg/ankle lock while kicking Cobb in the back.

After the match Angelina Love came out to the ring, and Davey Richards had the crowd convince her to move to Washington :) .
Overall this was an incredible show. Lio Rush vs Strickland was insane, and everything else didn't disappoint. We've always had a great underground wrestling scene with 321 Battle, Lucha Volcanica, CPW, SSP, but it's great to see our scene growing, and at such a huge rate too! SuperSonic, wish you could have made it dude!

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:49 pm

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 am

Lio Rush has been announced for Defy 3 as well!
So tickets had a presale on Friday, then officially at 7 tonight, and all the reserved seating (floor, VIP, balcony) is sold out already! GA is still available, but holy crap!

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:46 am

Some updates!
It looks like Defy's online streaming service, https://www.defyondemand.com, is going to be adding videos from other promotions over time. They have the newer Californian promotion, PCW, on there now and it looks like PCW has a good amount of connections too on their streaming site (which also hosts the Defy shows it looks like).

Also, they have been announcing more names for the next show, here are all the names they've announced (and the full card will be announced this week)...

Plus Shane Strickland and Taya too.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:47 am

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Just announced a big two night event coming up at the end of June. SO STOKED for Night 2.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue May 09, 2017 2:03 am

Here's the brackets for the first Defy champion. Pretty certain the finals will be Strickland vs Richards with Strickland winning. They've been building him as the face of the promotion.

And got my ticket for Defy 5. So stoked for Lucha Bros vs reDRagon! Hoping to make it to Defy 4 too, but I am also hoping to have a job by then too sooooooo I dunno how that'll all work out, but will plan once it gets closer :)

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed May 10, 2017 3:29 am

I know some of you guys still prowl this, so if you are reading this and want something to check out...

Defy 2 is coming this Friday to defyondemand.com ! Shane Strickland vs Lio Rush is in my top 5 matches of the year so far, and I would HIGHLY recommend all of you guys to check it out if you can!!

The show also had a great match from Darby Allin as well as a main event featuring Davey Richards vs Jeff Cobb

Matt Farmer

Post by Matt Farmer » Sun May 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed the show. And yes Shane Strickland vs Lio Rush was awesome!

Davey Richards vs Jeff Cobb was excellent too.

Who's going to the May 26th "Swerve City" card?

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun May 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Wow.. What definition cameras are they shooting in? Those YouTube videos looked absolutely fucking amazing. Definitely going to jump in down the line for $3.99.

I have been waiting for a promotion to shoot in such high quality and this is so much better than anything I ever expected. Put's alot of other bigger promotions to shame.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon May 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Matt Farmer wrote:Glad to see you enjoyed the show. And yes Shane Strickland vs Lio Rush was awesome!

Davey Richards vs Jeff Cobb was excellent too.

Who's going to the May 26th "Swerve City" card?
I was so exhausted from Rush/Strickland that I couldn't full appreciate Richards/Cobb live, but watching it back... uuuuuuuugh SO GOOD.

Have my tickets for Defy 3 and 5. Still debating on making the trip to Tacoma for 4, as badly as I want to go :)