DEFY Wrestling: Seattle's "Superindie"

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
John The Drummer

DEFY Wrestling: Seattle's "Superindie"

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Seattle has had a very strong underground wrestling scene over the last few years, mainly consisting of 3-2-1 Battle (which stars such as Jeff Cobb, Joey Ryan, B-Boy, and others have appeared in), and Lucha Libre Volcanica, but seem to be looking to breakout and get some more worldwide notoriety with DEFY Wrestling.

DEFY held their first show earlier this year that featured an amazing main event between Cody Rhodes and Shane Strickland (Killshot of Lucha Underground) for the GFW NEX*GEN Title. Also appearing at the first show were Jeff Cobb, Matt Cross, and Davey Richards making a run in.

The second show takes place in less than two weeks, and looks to be one to be talked about for a while as it will house Quarterfinal matches to crown the first DEFY Champion.

They will be having an online service soon, but since it is a brand new promotion they are still working things out, so everyone will be able watch it soon!

Here are some videos from the first show...

Highlight Video

The "Fan Yells Stardust" video that went around the net (dude was right next to me lol)

The laws to put on a wrestling show in Washington are pretty strict, and explain why we have never had a whole lot of bigger names come through, or why WWE doesn't come here more than once or twice a year. This is why the new promotion is such a big deal to many of us, since something like this hasn't really been done in Washington, at least since I've been following. Here is a quote from an article on a local news site...
"Each individual wrestler has to be licensed just like an MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter has to be licensed, we have to get a blood test and a physical. In order to put on a show, you have to pay a booker's fee, you have to pay a percentage of the ticket, in addition to some sort of fee that involves the tickets. We have to have paramedics on site the whole time which, if our sport is done correctly, then no one gets hurt any way," said Michael Leveton, who is a Lucha Libre Volcanica wrestler.
I may this info a bit off, but if I recall from what I heard from some friends of mine that wrestle...
If there is a wrestling school that puts on a show (like a majority of the local promotions we have), then they don't have to follow these laws hand in hand, but they can't OFFICIALLY charge for people to enter, and just have a donation bucket out. Apparently Lucha Va Voom came through a few years ago and almost got shut down due to some of these "laws" not being followed to a T.

I was talking to Matt Cross at the last DEFY show, and he was saying that when he applied for his "Fighting License" he had to put down his Win/Loss record and a ton of other details, which is pretty silly for pro wrestling, so he just put down 200 wins, 0 losses :lol:

There is a bill that is trying to get passed to "Legalize Wrestling" in Washington, and loosen up the rules on it because many feel it is more of a theatrical experience than an actual sport, which in many senses it is.
Last edited by John The Drummer on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supersonic

Re: DEFY Wrestling: Seattle's "Superindie"

Post by supersonic » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 pm

Let the promoter know that I plan to write a review. I'll contact the appropriate sites to see who wants to publish it.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:19 pm

GREAT to see some awesome Pacific Northwest wrestling. Hopefully this opens the door for other companies to come to Washington and Oregon more.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 pm

King Of Indy Style wrote:GREAT to see some awesome Pacific Northwest wrestling. Hopefully this opens the door for other companies to come to Washington and Oregon more.
Totally! I was going to talk about the weird laws that professional wrestling has in Washington in my opening post, but completely spaced on it. I'll post it here and edit the main :)

The laws to put on a wrestling show in Washington are pretty strict, and explain why we have never had a whole lot of bigger names come through, or why WWE doesn't come here more than once or twice a year. Here is a quote from an article on a local news site...
"Each individual wrestler has to be licensed just like an MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter has to be licensed, we have to get a blood test and a physical. In order to put on a show, you have to pay a booker's fee, you have to pay a percentage of the ticket, in addition to some sort of fee that involves the tickets. We have to have paramedics on site the whole time which, if our sport is done correctly, then no one gets hurt any way," said Michael Leveton, who is a Lucha Libre Volcanica wrestler.
I may this info a bit off, but if I recall from what I heard from some friends of mine that wrestle...
If there is a wrestling school that puts on a show (like a majority of the local promotions we have), then they don't have to follow these laws hand in hand, but they can't OFFICIALLY charge for people to enter, and just have a donation bucket out.

I was talking to Matt Cross at the last DEFY show, and he was saying that when he applied for his "Fighting License" he had to put down his Win/Loss record and a ton of other details, which is pretty silly for pro wrestling, so he just put down 200 wins, 0 losses :lol:

There is a bill that is trying to get passed to "Legalize Wrestling" in Washington, and loosen up the rules on it because many feel it is more of a theatrical experience than an actual sport, which in many senses it is.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:58 pm

supersonic wrote:Let the promoter know that I plan to write a review. I'll contact the appropriate sites to see who wants to publish it.
Cool cool! If you want to, he is VERY responsive and easy to get a hold of on all forms of social media. :)

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:32 pm

Is there a way to watch the first show?
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:52 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Is there a way to watch the first show?
Soon! The promoter just posted a few days ago that there will be details very soon about it. He was hoping to get it up sooner, but for some reason had a bit of a delay.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 am

It's incredible how under-reported wrestling in Washington, Oregon and British Columbia is, as there's a really great group of guys and girls there. I'm amazed how many wrestlers from that area move away from there to get their exposure. Daniel Bryan, Davey Richards, Shane Strickland, Kimber Lee and Su Yung are names that come to mind in this regard.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:20 pm

I don't buy the red tape excuse for so few WWE shows here. This region is out of the way, has poor population density compared to other to the East, Midwest, and Southwest, and especially at the Key Arena, I've yet to see a packed house.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:39 pm

supersonic wrote:I don't buy the red tape excuse for so few WWE shows here. This region is out of the way, has poor population density compared to other to the East, Midwest, and Southwest, and especially at the Key Arena, I've yet to see a packed house.
I was shocked that the "Daniel Bryan retirement" didn't sell the place out. Was pretty upsetting to see how empty the sections were behind the hard cam.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Who's the promoter on Twitter?
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 am

https://twitter.com/defyNW is the only page I am aware of.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:03 am

Just read that they are putting the finishing touches on the first show and it should be up VERY shortly :)
Here is the website that all of the shows will be posted to. Not sure what the price or anything is going to be.

https://www.defyondemand.com/

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:52 am

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:36 pm

It's up. 3.99 to subscribe, 4.99 to rent, and 9.99 to purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk