Impact Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BlizzardAcolyte

Re: IMPACT the REBORN Tracker Thread

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 pm

I would love for this story to be the lead on the next Flagship show, but this 'TNA's death is imminent" movie is something I've seen so many times that, as someone elsewhere has mentioned, it's less "big news" than "it's that time of year in TNA" nowadays. It's not worth the effort to extensively cover it anymore.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:36 pm

The Nuke

Post by The Nuke » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 am

Like it's been said, "It's that time of year." Somebody either will save them or WWE will finally just buy it. It's sad since it looked like things were headed in the right direction. The product was still wwe light, but better than it had been.

Do forgive me if a possible GFW dirt nap has me thinking of great things for Moose. Moose in AJPW would be ideal.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 am

Hopefully Eddie Edwards will work out a deal with NOAH to wrestle there for the next little while.

Moose in AJPW would be fantastic!

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 am

Literally every time I start to follow TNA/Impact/GFW regularly this suddenly happens, then I don't follow, then I come back, and 3 weeks later "(insert company) Selling (Name they go by)"

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm

The Ed Nordholm interview on WOR is the damage control on the stuff SI you'd expect, referencing it without ever referencing it
- Nordholm says he hopes Jeff will be back
- (which would also make the GFW name issue is a non-issue)
- they knew it would take a while to turn things around but they're committed for the long term. He says this multiple times.

He also talks a lot about the the Impact app/streaming service to switch the conversation. It's going to be $8 USD/month with some free content. He pitches it as "the place to find all the promotions who aren't on the WWE network", not just the people they're allied with - it's more of a Comixology concept, where they're hoping to be the one place you go to find anything you want in wrestling, with the Impact part important primarily to make sure there's something there at the start.

It's more or less the exact model as the FloSlam pitch, with WWN as their anchor content but the idea of getting other big names to use the service. We know how that's gone for Flo and saying "maybe we'll get NJPW on there" makes it sound like this is just wishcasting. Also, pitching this as a way for the other promotions to get wider visibility only works if people are using this service and not that many people are dying to get more Impact right now - and even if you do care about Impact, you're not going to able to watch the weekly episodes until 10 days after they air. None of the international stuff sounds like it'll be there right now. As presented here, this is the same TNA/Impact vault that's existed for a while with a new name to get a new round of attention.

(There's a wonderful moment where Bryan asks if it'd be possible you'd be able to watch Impact live if you don't get POP and paid the monthly fee, and Ed seems as if he's never considered that notion and is sure Pop wouldn't be able to do it. Next question is Dave asking about how they adapt to TV industry changes, and Ed talks about how important is to be where the fans are and make sure the fans can watch them where they want. There's a disconnect there.)

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Ed seems nice enough, but he's clearly in over his head, and even admits as such during the interview.

Last night's episode of Impact did 227k and a .05 demo, down 41% from the previous week. Obviously the football return and storm stuff hurt the rating, but WWE goes down 10% in football season, a 41% drop can't be explained from just those two reasons.

So the question remains, will ECIII be ECIII in NXT or go back to Derrick Bateman

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:32 pm

ODonnell wrote:Ed seems nice enough, but he's clearly in over his head, and even admits as such during the interview.

Last night's episode of Impact did 227k and a .05 demo, down 41% from the previous week. Obviously the football return and storm stuff hurt the rating, but WWE goes down 10% in football season, a 41% drop can't be explained from just those two reasons.

So the question remains, will ECIII be ECIII in NXT or go back to Derrick Bateman
Perhaps a "surprise" return at the Barclays Center is in his future.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:58 pm

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:I would love for this story to be the lead on the next Flagship show, but this 'TNA's death is imminent" movie is something I've seen so many times that, as someone elsewhere has mentioned, it's less "big news" than "it's that time of year in TNA" nowadays. It's not worth the effort to extensively cover it anymore.
I agree with this 100%, and I actually made the same point on Twitter. At this point, news regarding the potential demise of TNA/IMPACT/GFW has become seasonal. Every summer/fall, we go through the same song and dance, but ultimately, they somehow manage to survive. They are truly cockroaches of professional wrestling.

From now on, I'm not going to believe anything about their "death" until it actually happens. It's almost become a "boy who cried wolf" type situation.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:42 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
BlizzardAcolyte wrote:I would love for this story to be the lead on the next Flagship show, but this 'TNA's death is imminent" movie is something I've seen so many times that, as someone elsewhere has mentioned, it's less "big news" than "it's that time of year in TNA" nowadays. It's not worth the effort to extensively cover it anymore.
I agree with this 100%, and I actually made the same point on Twitter. At this point, news regarding the potential demise of TNA/IMPACT/GFW has become seasonal. Every summer/fall, we go through the same song and dance, but ultimately, they somehow manage to survive. They are truly cockroaches of professional wrestling.

From now on, I'm not going to believe anything about their "death" until it actually happens. It's almost become a "boy who cried wolf" type situation.
In this day and age, it will never die. That's the reality of the modern media company/entertainment company. Unless it is absolute shit, a brand will always find a new distributor if the costs are reasonable enough. I feel like WCW and ECW, had they been around in 2011, would still be around today because of this fact. They just were a little too early to the digital revolution.

TNAmarkFromIndia

Post by TNAmarkFromIndia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 pm

IMPACT Wrestling, a subsidiary of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., announced today that Bound for Glory, its premier annual pay-per-view event, will be broadcast from the historic Aberdeen Pavilion in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada on Sunday, November 5, 2017.

The Aberdeen Pavilion will also play host to five days of IMPACT television tapings from Nov. 6 to Nov. 10. Ticket on-sale information for Bound for Glory and IMPACT will be revealed in the coming weeks.

“We are ecstatic and honored to bring our blockbuster event Bound for Glory to a Canadian venue rooted in cultural heritage and tradition,” said Ed Nordholm, president of IMPACT Wrestling. “Our loyal Canadian viewers on Fight Network and GameTV have been vocal supporters of IMPACT Wrestling over the years and we thought the nation’s capital would be a fitting place to stage our biggest event of the year. Canadian professional wrestling crowds have a reputation for their energy and enthusiasm, so we are excited to bring them an unforgettable night of action.”

Bound for Glory will feature World Champion Eli Drake, former champion Alberto el Patron and Johnny Impact, the holder of the Mega, Latin American and World Cruiserweight championship belts in Lucha Libre AAA, who will be making his inaugural Bound for Glory appearance. Bobby Lashley has unfinished business; will he return and will his cohorts from American Top Team, led by owner Dan Lambert, continue to meddle with his career? The Knockouts will collide as Hall of Famer Gail Kim works through her final year in professional wrestling, and the stars of the X-Division will bring their high-flying brand of athletics to the ring. International talent for the event will include El Hijo del Fantasma, Pagano and El Texano Jr. from Lucha Libre AAA.

Located in Lansdowne Park, the historic fairgrounds of Canada’s national capital, the 33,000-square foot Aberdeen Pavilion is an Ottawa landmark, which has been home to many significant events throughout the city’s history, including Stanley Cup challenge matches in 1904. Built in 1898 and inspired by London’s Crystal Palace, the venue was designated a national historic site of Canada because it is the only large-scale exhibition building in Canada surviving from the 19th century.

Showcasing some of the biggest stars in professional wrestling, IMPACT airs on Thursdays at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on Pop in the U.S., as well as Fight Network and GameTV across Canada.

Wiretaup

Post by Wiretaup » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:44 pm

If they ever were to die, what would you even call The Death Of TNA book at this point?

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 pm

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 am

GFW/Impact has been fun lately. Showcasing AAA, AIW, The Crash, and NOAH The Reborn on television. And it has Richard Justice.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:35 pm