Impact Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BackLash

Re: IMPACT the REBORN Tracker Thread

Post by BackLash » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Slammiversary is the first TNA PPV I've seen in quite some time (or is this my first GFW PPV?) and I'm so glad I saw it. The lucha rules, Tag Title unification four way was fun in a very chaotic way to the point where Diamante and Homicide were getting involved. As a Steelers fan and a rasslin smark I couldn’t be happier on how well DeAngelo Williams performed in his tag match. The table botch was a bit scary, but it says a lot about his athleticism that he can jump that far. Moose was also excellent and while this isn’t the best performance tat I’ve seen out of Adonis, he and Drake more than held up their end of the match and I’m glad Adonis finally got that big PPV match he never really had in WWE.

The strap match stipulation was used well in EC3 and Storm’s match. While the non-strap based action was just alright, the way the match ended and how long they took looking at Storm afterward was great storytelling that got me invested. JB and Park vs. Steiner and Josh threw so much out there and it mostly stuck well. It’s good to know that Big Poppa Pump AND Josh still know how to work after all this time and Kudos to JB for his limited but cool in-ring spots. The crazy broken universe-like segment with the cameos blended old and slightly old TNA and it was great. Not a technical marvel by any means but surprising performances and nostalgia made it fun for me.

The Richard/Edwards FMM blow off was short but action packed. Angelina and Alisha are probably not going to get the credit they deserve for how good they were in that environment and damn if the Davey and Eddie didn’t leave anything behind. Finally that thumbtack spot was both kinds of sick, but I really couldn’t look away, so good work to them. Sanjay and Low Ki was actually the first match I was just ok with. There were some great high-flying spots and intense exchanges, but they used the 205 Live handbook on to how to do a flippy match (and I can understand Impact booking it that way because both guys are older now) and the match itself went on too long. If the match was shorter or had a different stip it would have been good with me.

The Women’s Title unification was also just alright. Good enough action, but the double run-in by Laurel Van Ness wasn’t needed (although the way Allie fended Van Ness off with a kendo stick was funny). Not ****** classic, but you won’t be sorry if you watched it.

Finally, the main event World Title unification match. The match was intense from bell to bell and both men I felt brought some of their best stuff here. The match could have been a bit better but it did not disappoint. Like the last match, Daddy Del Rio and King Mo getting involved wasn’t really needed but it worked ok. My only real compliant otherwise was how abruptly the match ended. It felt anti-climatic and thrown in. Still a good main event battle.

Good show overall, the best the company’s had in a long time.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:23 pm

- The four-way was really good stuff, "It's gonna be lucha rules, Dan"--followed by Awkward Pause--was funny, to watch EYFBO having the time of their life on this TNA run (the enthusiasm emanates from them constantly) is awesome & endearing
- Border City getting a cameo before the second tag was a neat touch, Flores with the 'Masters' slip was amusing (I would have done the same, honestly), while Williams was good for his spot, I came away more impressed with Moose, as I haven't watched a match of his in long enough that his athleticism wowed me all over again. The DrakeMasters were a little too cartoonish in their selling, "calm down guys". Williams going all Tama Tonga on the hot tag was hilarious and great at the same time
- The nice thing about watching so much CHIKARA/DDT/ISW is that you can fully appreciate the comedic stuff from everyone else, and this fell along those lines. Everyone involved looked like they were having a hoot, and that alone made the "match" enjoyable. The Chig-a-Wig's bit was worth a chuckle (what's a Chig-a-Wig's, anyway?), and JB with the POOLSIDE RIDER KICK was great
- FMM was what it was, while I agree with WOR guys that the women were not good in it, at least it seemed like Love knows her limits and wasn't actively trying to do anything beyond her means. Richards, meanwhile, was kinda reckless throwing Edwards around--please take care of the guy, he has a far more important and likely better match coming up soon

While nothing on here was a MOTY contender or anything, I enjoyed the variety present in the tag matches and almost everyone involved (save Steiner and Love) brought it. I'm slightly annoyed WOR seem to be the only two guys so far who have podcast-reviewed the show; having a bunch of different voices from the various things I listen to give their perspective on the first TNA show of any note they have probably watched for a while would be interesting. Problem, of course, is that:
- 6:05 SuperPodcast don't watch current wrestling
- PTBN don't review-podcast non-WWE PPVs these days
- VOW don't record until at least late Wednesday
- PWP don't cover TNA
- LAW feel like they rush through nearly everything they cover, it's not very satisfying to listen to if it's not JAW or Keep It 2000

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Checked the show out and I feel like everything on the show at least offered something. There were maybe a couple too many creative finishes and clearly they haven't figured out micro-managing after 15 years (two straight matches with tacks and about eight spots with the women doing dives to the floor, on top of Josh, Borash and DeAngelo doing dives too), but that is what it is. In isolation, everything was good. Popped big for the Shark Boy spot. That match went about as well as it could have done and fair play to Borash, certainly looked like the tacks in the hands were no fun for him.

Had no idea Marufuji was going to be there, so that was a nice surprise, although them not using Marufuji's theme is BS. I thought Flores on commentary, which was another nice surprise, did a decent job. If he stuck at it and learned the ropes, maybe found a second gear in his voice for the big moments, he could be really good. Guessing that's not happening any time soon though.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

http://impactwrestling.com/alberto-el-patron-suspended/
Global Force Wrestling has indefinitely suspended Alberto El Patron, effective immediately, until the investigation is resolved following a recent incident in Orlando, Florida.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:17 pm

Scoop:

GFW considers no talents are exclusive yet, and they have 90 days to opt out. Expect at least 2 substantial names to follow Richards out.

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Good luck to him I say. Met him once around 2014, he seemed cool, despite what you hear.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Destination X was fine. Enjoyed Lashley/Sydal, which was also well built. Everything else was OK.

Even though I suspect Prichard will be back to do feuding authority figures with Cornette, Cornette is a major upgrade. Prichard adds nothing to the show whatsoever, and to me while attempting to draw his ~60k pod listeners can't hurt, I don't believe it helps all that much either. Cornette is still an excellent talent despite his podcast/Twitter nonsense. I really liked the segment with LAX, and Cornette adding the little wrinkle of "I'm corporate, not talent, so if you guys touch me I'm calling the cops" to explain why LAX didn't just simply kick his ass. That's vintage Cornette, making sure he ties up even the smallest logic hole that many wouldn't even notice or consider.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:43 am

if you're a company who's public reason for suspending Alberto (and possibly firing him) is not representing the company in a good way, aren't you just kind of asking for to go thru the same thing with Cornette? Alberto acts badly, Cornette just talks badly, but it seems like a safe bet that he'll have said something that's gotten plenty of people upset with him before these 10-12 episodes they're taping finishing airing. His entire bit is delivering the hottest of hot takes and 90% gimmick to make sure the newsboard sites and Reddit and YouTube keep him relevant, but the only way he won't have said something GFW wishes he had not is if he loses his voice for two months. He can get away with it, because he's enough fans willing to forgive or overlook anything he says if he comes back with a cool Midnight Express story. I'm just not sure how Cornette loudly wishing people would die is any better than Alberto getting a drink poured over his head.

GFW just went thru a period where they had to endure weeks of shows built around a guy they wanted nothing to do with by the time most of the shows were airing. It would make sense to be a little more risk averse next time, especially for a guy in a role that's probably not going to move the needle at all, but they've jumped right in to the same potential mistake. I understand there's a method to the madness - they're picking up controversial people in hopes they acquire some sort of buzz for a mostly forgotten product, but at a way where they're still going to end up looking foolish.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Observer:
In something predictable, Low Ki is gone, mad about booking, although he’ll be all over television for a number of upcoming shows since he did the tapings. Low Ki was booked to be part of a multiple person X division match at Bound for Glory and was unhappy about that. From one source, he showed up the first day at TV, where he was supposed to get a shot at the GFW title and Alberto in the main event, but that was canceled. When they laid out the GFW title picture, which involved Eli Drake, Johnny Impact, Matt Sydal and others, but not him, he was unhappy from day one. He worked the tapings and was complaining a lot to management and after being talked with, he wasn’t happy and made the decision to leave and both sides agreed to go their separate ways. We’re told reports this was money related aren’t accurate in the sense it was purely creative and he was under contract at a figure both sides had agreed to. He does have a history almost everywhere of leaving, very often over being unhappy with his creative. The company knew it was a risk bringing him back, but felt he’d fit in with the LAX faction, but he was only signed to a six-month contract with the idea anything could blow up at any time.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:59 pm

supersonic wrote:Observer:
In something predictable, Low Ki is gone, mad about booking, although he’ll be all over television for a number of upcoming shows since he did the tapings. Low Ki was booked to be part of a multiple person X division match at Bound for Glory and was unhappy about that. From one source, he showed up the first day at TV, where he was supposed to get a shot at the GFW title and Alberto in the main event, but that was canceled. When they laid out the GFW title picture, which involved Eli Drake, Johnny Impact, Matt Sydal and others, but not him, he was unhappy from day one. He worked the tapings and was complaining a lot to management and after being talked with, he wasn’t happy and made the decision to leave and both sides agreed to go their separate ways. We’re told reports this was money related aren’t accurate in the sense it was purely creative and he was under contract at a figure both sides had agreed to. He does have a history almost everywhere of leaving, very often over being unhappy with his creative. The company knew it was a risk bringing him back, but felt he’d fit in with the LAX faction, but he was only signed to a six-month contract with the idea anything could blow up at any time.
Ki and Teddy Hart should form their own company.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Where would London and Richards fit in?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:27 pm

supersonic wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Where would London and Richards fit in?
Tag champs.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 pm

I enjoy how it's progress for GFW that someone is quitting for a reason other than money.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:45 am

Johnny IMPACT. LOL

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Jeff Jarrett out; Global Force Wrestling "hemorrhaging funds" and future in balance

I have so many questions

- they brought Jarrett in and built around the GFW name but didn't get the rights to the GFW name?
- they thought it was a better idea to imply Jarrett was going into rehab than to reveal he was fired?
- how does it get here in less than 9 months since Anthem took over? Did they not look at the books close enough? Were they always over their head?
- were they asking for a lot from the Hardys not primarily on any principle, but because they just really needed the money?
- how damaging were those 2 houses shows they did? they had to be sold shows, but did they only then realize they couldn't draw?
- what happens if both GFW and LU are dead within moments of each other? (hint: a lot of talent available at the same time is not good for any one.)