Favorite SummerSlam matches

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

Favorite SummerSlam matches

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:39 pm

With the G1 over and wanting to hype myself up for this Sunday's event, I'm going to do my annual rewatching of SummerSlams from year's past. This year will be the 28th event. What are some of your favorite matches?

I'm always very biased toward 88-94 because it was the years I grew up on and 90 being at the old Spectrum has a place in my heart. That summer when Hogan got crushed by Earthquake on the Brother Love Show? Oh man was that hard to take as a 7 year old. But I listed all what I think is must-see from the first until 2002 which after that, I start to have a hard time naming off hand what happened on them. I'm going to post my thoughts as I do my viewings, but if anyone has their own thoughts or were at these shows live, post it here.

88-
Warrior vs. Honky Tonk Man
Demos vs. Harts
Boss Man vs. Koko B. Ware

89-
Brain Busters vs. Harts
Rick Martel + Rougeau Bros vs. Rockers + Tito
Warrior vs. Rude

90-
Harts vs. Demos (2/3 falls)
Hogan vs. Earthquake
Warrior vs. Rude (cage)

91-
Bret vs. Perfect
DiBiase vs. Virgil
Boss Man vs. Mountie (plus aftermath)

92-
LOD vs. Money Inc.
Warrior vs. Savage
Bret vs. Bulldog

93-
Steiners vs. Heavenly Bodies
Shawn vs. Perfect
Bret vs. Doink
Tatanka + Smoking Gunns vs. Bam Bam + Headshrinkers

94-
Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano
Bret vs. Owen (cage)

95-
1-2-3 Kid vs. Hakushi
Shawn vs. Razor (Ladder)

96-
Shawn vs. Vader

98-
X-Pac vs. Jarrett (Hair vs. Hair)
Owen vs. Shamrock (Lions Den)
The Rock vs. HHH (Ladder)
Austin vs. Undertaker

99-
Al Snow vs. Boss Man (guilty pleasure Hardcore title match)
Shane McMahon vs. Test (Love Her or Leave Her match)

2000-
Benoit vs. Jericho (2/3 falls)
Edge + Christian vs. Hardyz vs. Dudleys (TLC)
Rock vs. Angle vs. HHH

2001-
Edge vs. Lance Storm
X-Pac vs. Tajiri
RVD vs. Jeff Hardy (Ladder)
Austin vs. Angle

2002-
Angle vs. Rey
Flair vs. Jericho
Edge vs. Eddie
RVD vs. Benoit
Shawn vs. HHH (Street Fight)
Brock vs. Rock

Quentin Moody

Re: Favorite SummerSlam matches

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:08 pm

For me, two of my favorite Summerslam matches came two years ago with Bryan vs Cena and Brock vs Punk. Some of my other favorites are Bret/Bulldog, Shawn/Vader, and Bret/Owen.

brandonbitw

Post by brandonbitw » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:For me, two of my favorite Summerslam matches came two years ago with Bryan vs Cena and Brock vs Punk. Some of my other favorites are Bret/Bulldog, Shawn/Vader, and Bret/Owen.
This, we agree on. Lol
Bryan/Cena is ***** and one of my favorite WWE matches of all time. And Brock/Punk was also spectacular due to me being a Punk mark.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:For me, two of my favorite Summerslam matches came two years ago with Bryan vs Cena and Brock vs Punk. Some of my other favorites are Bret/Bulldog, Shawn/Vader, and Bret/Owen.
And they both went 25+ too and didn't feel like they dragged out either. That or last year's I would say are 1 and 2 for the best two SummerSlam's of the Staples Center run. I think last year was a better overall show, but 2013 had the two best overall matches.

JML

Post by JML » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:45 pm

1997 SS always pops up in my mind cause I wanted to go so bad but couldn't. But remember the Mankind vs Triple H match in the cage and the Bret vs Taker main event with Shawn as the referee as ok matches.

cheapshot

Post by cheapshot » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm

1995 was brilliant, the opener was fantastic, and it saw the first Space Flying Tiger Drop on WWF soil. The ladder match at the time was ***** and for me better than the WM one.
wrestlingeye.libsyn.com

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:56 pm

Angle/Rey from 02 is probably my favourite Summerslam match. Perfect opening match, those two had unreal chemistry.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Hard to come up with an order but here's basically what would make up my top 10:
  • Cena vs. Bryan - 2013
    Punk vs. Lesnar - 2013
    CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy - 2009
    HBK vs. HHH - 2002
    Edge/Christian vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Dudley Boyz - 2000
    The Undertaker vs. Bret Hart - 1997
    HBK vs. Razor Ramon - 1995
    Bret vs. Owen - 1994
    Steiners vs. Heavenly Bodies - 1993
    Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart - 1991

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

JML wrote:1997 SS always pops up in my mind cause I wanted to go so bad but couldn't. But remember the Mankind vs Triple H match in the cage and the Bret vs Taker main event with Shawn as the referee as ok matches.
This is memorable for a different reason. My friends older sister stabbed her boyfriend with a kitchen knife while we were in the middle of the cage match. I had to go home and was really bummed.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:19 pm

I actually watched 2002 SummerSlam a few months back on a plane... and I never "got" 2002 HBK. Maybe it's because I didn't watch him at the time, but he just seems overrated to hell. He was the focal point of a very dull Elimination Chamber, and this decent match with HHH. Those matches don't hold up in my view. Probably because Michaels is playing it safe on his return just in case.

I would replace that match with Brock/Rock from the same night. Extremely great match, one of Rock's best performances selflessly carrying Lesnar to both of their greatest matches. I highly encourage a rewatch of that match.

Booker T & Goldust vs. The Unamericans (Christian & Lance Storm) is also a fantastic match. Probably wouldn't make the top ten, but better in my eyes than HBK/HHH, and overall a notch below the famous Edge & Mysterio vs. Angle & Benoit match from No Mercy 2002.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

If you weren't watching at the time, you'll completely miss just how important his comeback in 2002 was. This guy was DONE, FINISHED. There was no chance he was coming back after his back injury in 1998 and worse yet, he had spiraled downward in his personal life. Remember, he was supposed to be back for WrestleMania 17 but showed up in no shape mentally or physically and was sent home.

To have him rise like a phoenix in 2002 was something special in of itself. THEN the match. The concern was he was going to be caution, he wasn't fully healed, wasn't fully healthy, could he still go, could he still move around like he used to. That match while maybe on "Decent" out of context was incredible from a guy we hadn't seen wrestle in years. The match is a work of art too as HBK slowly regains confidence in his back and slowly but surely stops worrying and just goes out there and does classic HBK stuff with even MORE daredevil tactics as the match goes on.

I think it's a great piece of storytelling and without a doubt one of my favorite SS matches ever.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:If you weren't watching at the time, you'll completely miss just how important his comeback in 2002 was. This guy was DONE, FINISHED. There was no chance he was coming back after his back injury in 1998 and worse yet, he had spiraled downward in his personal life. Remember, he was supposed to be back for WrestleMania 17 but showed up in no shape mentally or physically and was sent home.

To have him rise like a phoenix in 2002 was something special in of itself. THEN the match. The concern was he was going to be caution, he wasn't fully healed, wasn't fully healthy, could he still go, could he still move around like he used to. That match while maybe on "Decent" out of context was incredible from a guy we hadn't seen wrestle in years. The match is a work of art too as HBK slowly regains confidence in his back and slowly but surely stops worrying and just goes out there and does classic HBK stuff with even MORE daredevil tactics as the match goes on.

I think it's a great piece of storytelling and without a doubt one of my favorite SS matches ever.
Alright, thank you for catching me up! Now I won't think it's crazy when other people like it.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:33 pm

Think of it this way — It would be similar to say someone like, Edge, came back at WrestleMania 32 and had an awesome, high-risk TLC match.

That's probably understating it too because Shawn was one of the biggest stars of the previous era.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Well, of course the Brock/HHH match leaves less memory, it happened a decade later! :P

If you're rewatching HBK/HHH, I highly recommend the tag titles match. Not that long of a match, IIRC, and two fantastic teams that should have had a lot more success.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:45 pm

You have to remember too, a lot of us thought that was it for Shawn. I'm not positive WWE thought it was going to be long term either (the sledgehammer to the back post-match seems to tip that hand). With all that in mind, it's an incredibly voluminous and important match for the era.