WWE NXT 2017 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
rovert

Re: WWE NXT 2017 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by rovert » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:39 pm

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:07 am

I know I've harped on it, but the Fullsail crowd really pisses me off in how quickly they die as the tapings go on. That incredible Last Woman Match should have been way hotter, but the crowd sounded so tired throughout the match. Maybe Full Sail is just miced really badly.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am

I just checked and it looks like that was barely halfway through the taping too.

Match was good though. I think it's pretty stark comparing it to at least the first MITB match (haven't watched the Smackdown one). The women in the MITB sure seemed like they'd been told not to do anything dangerous and I'm not sure there was a memorable moment besides Charlotte's dive to the floor and, well, the finish. Meanwhile Asuka and Nikki are throwing each other onto chairs and then doing that finish, which was nuts and looked awesome.

Worth mentioning that Mauro fit in really well. I think Phillips did an underappreciated job, but Mauro's a suitable replacement.

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:21 pm

cbacon87 wrote:I just checked and it looks like that was barely halfway through the taping too.
It was the last match taped.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Oh, in that case the crowd could have been a lot worse.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 pm

Observer:
Bobby Fish was the first of the recent ROH guys to start here, at the 6/23 NXT tapings. At the beginning of the year, Fish, Kyle O’Reilly, Donovan Dijak were all going to start here and it was pretty much expected that Adam Cole would follow when his contract expired. Due to legal threats, where the ones getting screwed unfortunately was the talent, WWE backed off on everyone for months. O’Reilly, who had already given notice to ROH and New Japan ended up screwed the most. Fish kept wrestling with ROH, signed a short-term deal, and when that ran out, continued to work there, but was obviously in a position where they weren’t going to push him past a certain level. What’s notable is Fish debuted on NXT and the first thing they did with him was have him put over Aleister Black

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I think I might end up selling my Takeover tickets.

Line up is just.....perlexing. Roode vs McIntrye as a top match makes sense on paper, but when you think about how Drew has had ZERO direction since he debuted other than just squashing jobbers, and Strong has really had a great storyline, it just makes no sense. There's no way they're going to make anyone care more about Roode/McIntrye than Roode/Strong which happens next week on NXT TV. It's just a let down. You can't tell a story about a babyface overcoming a rough childhood and then throw in the family element and then transition to a babyface that's....just...a big guy who's returned. It doesn't resonate.

Ohno/Itami and Ember/Asuka I'm good with, but Sanity/AOP? What in the fuck is that. Both need face tag teams to have a crowd care about them, and this just makes zero sense to me. I wish Sanity were as good or as over as HHH perceives them to be.

And what's Aleister Black/UK guys/Adam Cole doing? Obviously there's another taping at least before the show and they could add stuff, but with 4 matches seemingly out there and a teased Almas/Jose match, there's not a lot of room on that card.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:06 am

cbacon87 wrote:I just checked and it looks like that was barely halfway through the taping too.

Match was good though. I think it's pretty stark comparing it to at least the first MITB match (haven't watched the Smackdown one). The women in the MITB sure seemed like they'd been told not to do anything dangerous and I'm not sure there was a memorable moment besides Charlotte's dive to the floor and, well, the finish. Meanwhile Asuka and Nikki are throwing each other onto chairs and then doing that finish, which was nuts and looked awesome.

Worth mentioning that Mauro fit in really well. I think Phillips did an underappreciated job, but Mauro's a suitable replacement.
The biggest problem with the first MITB match was time. Match got very little time which hurt it much more than the ending.

Cross/Asuka was great and finally gave Cross her singles moment after being stuck in multi women matches. I doubt she beats Asuka, but she is so different than anyone on the women's side of things that she would fit in and stand out on any roster right now. Would love to see her in the MYC, but doubt she'll be in it.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:49 am

On beating Asuka, someone on Review-A-Raw suggested Asuka drop the title for the Mae Young tournament winner and come up undefeated and I wasn't sure I liked it. And this was Monday. After watching the LWS match and seeing Asuka at the end, I think I changed my mind. She's at a point now where the undefeated streak deserves to be beaten by the right person. In theory that's Ember and I think in ring, she's definitely worthy. But, character wise, I just don't know if Ember's connected enough to where she wins and it isn't a bit of a letdown.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:04 pm

They botched the Ember Moon push...I'd abort immediately.

You can't do better then undefeated, cocky champ versus the upstart undefeated babyface with the move of doom and they blew the lead up and the match was not great.

They stumbled upon Nikki Cross to be that girl to beat Asuka, too...especially in one of these wild brawl type matches where Nikki could beat Asuka by beating the shit out of her with a chair or choking her out with a chain or something aka something not so clean...but they blew that to keep Asuka strong.

I don't see anyone worth beating Asuka with right now. I am a sucker for a Ronda Rousey gimmick with Daria Berenato, who should be watching Sienna tapes immediately...but you need to build that chick up as a wrecking ball for a year before you do anything like that with her to be legit outside of a flash win and give her the title premature.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm allergic to the idea of not beating the streak. Primarily because I have less then no faith in main roster booking. Use it now in the place where it matters, because it's all going to slide away entropically when she gets to the main roster. They'll Goldberg it and blow it to get "heat" on someone or something. I don't believe that Vince will see anything in her, and I think he actively dislikes the idea of continuing stories from NXT. Once she gets up there she'll be a dead woman buzz-wise.

Having said that, I agree with Robes that they haven't done the set-up they need to pay it off right. Ember Moon ain't going to pay off in this spot unless they dream up something to put some emotion/crowd connection on her side. And they have time depending on how long they want to stretch it, but Cross and Riot are a ways away if that's the plan. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to holding-pattern it for the MYC. That could be the set-up they need, but they'll just need to make sure the title reign doesn't cool off until then because she's just about done it all at this point.

The more I think about it, that's what you do. Shoot the MYC, pick your favorite, build her, have her go over Asuka. You can make a real star that way if you pick the right talent and do the MYC right.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Vince barely pays attention to NXT. He sits in the back for the major Takeovers in PPV host cities and thats likely about it, and I'm likely stretching how much he's actually watching tbh.

The reason they don't continue NXT stories to the main roster (outside of Zayn and Owens) is because Vince doesn't watch it and likely, none of the writers/creative keep up with it either. Sure, the main roster wrestlers do, HHH does obviously, but its likely in its little bubble and outside of a few eyes, no one on the main roster that matters beyond HHH is paying attention.

In your best Vince choice...

"We need some fresh talent, dammit...Paul, whatcha got down in your brand? Bring'em up dammit!"

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Garuda wrote:I'm allergic to the idea of not beating the streak. Primarily because I have less then no faith in main roster booking. Use it now in the place where it matters, because it's all going to slide away entropically when she gets to the main roster. They'll Goldberg it and blow it to get "heat" on someone or something. I don't believe that Vince will see anything in her, and I think he actively dislikes the idea of continuing stories from NXT. Once she gets up there she'll be a dead woman buzz-wise.

Having said that, I agree with Robes that they haven't done the set-up they need to pay it off right. Ember Moon ain't going to pay off in this spot unless they dream up something to put some emotion/crowd connection on her side. And they have time depending on how long they want to stretch it, but Cross and Riot are a ways away if that's the plan. Maybe it isn't a bad idea to holding-pattern it for the MYC. That could be the set-up they need, but they'll just need to make sure the title reign doesn't cool off until then because she's just about done it all at this point.

The more I think about it, that's what you do. Shoot the MYC, pick your favorite, build her, have her go over Asuka. You can make a real star that way if you pick the right talent and do the MYC right.
I like the MYC idea, but would argue that Cross could totally still be the person to beat Asuka if they want. This was her first singles loss to Asuka and she had to be destroyed to lose. Her as champion would be a huge departure from any Women's champion they've ever had, so I'm not inclined to believe she will be picked, but I have no doubt it can be done in such a way that it would work.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Garuda wrote:I'm allergic to the idea of not beating the streak. Primarily because I have less then no faith in main roster booking. Use it now in the place where it matters, because it's all going to slide away entropically when she gets to the main roster. They'll Goldberg it and blow it to get "heat" on someone or something. I don't believe that Vince will see anything in her, and I think he actively dislikes the idea of continuing stories from NXT. Once she gets up there she'll be a dead woman buzz-wise.

I like the MYC idea, but would argue that Cross could totally still be the person to beat Asuka if they want. This was her first singles loss to Asuka and she had to be destroyed to lose. Her as champion would be a huge departure from any Women's champion they've ever had, so I'm not inclined to believe she will be picked, but I have no doubt it can be done in such a way that it would work.
Totally agree. The only knock to her credibility is losing clean in the destruction match two days ago, so I feel like that's not the way they want to go.

Love to see it, though. She's more then qualified as a candidate. Just needs the right build.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 am