Wrestle Circus - The Texas SuperIndie

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: Wrestle Circus - The Texas SuperIndie

Post by mlev76 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:08 pm

The carniest of the carnies. It's just amazing that if they ever try to do another how, you know there will be talent who've been burnt by them who'd go back.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope they go the way of Canuck Pro.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Guys are always chasing the next payday and some will never, ever learn. You're absolutely right though. They'll be right back ready to get burnt once again.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 pm

As only someone who attended a handful of shows, they never left any kind of footprint on me. No nuanced angles or characters, just lots of matches. The complete stereotype of indy wrestling, in which so many of the matches were devoid of any substantial psychology and of course as mentioned, shows going for-fucking-ever. If you're gonna have a 6-hour event, as bad of an idea as that is, that has got to be a culminating crescendo supercard, not just event on the calendar.

I also got quickly tired of the IG niche. Nothing against it, just that for me, less is more would've been the perfect philosophy. I honestly don't understand why there was ever such a strong local appeal to this company. Nothing about it stood out from the rest.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 am

supersonic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 pm
As only someone who attended a handful of shows, they never left any kind of footprint on me. No nuanced angles or characters, just lots of matches. The complete stereotype of indy wrestling, in which so many of the matches were devoid of any substantial psychology and of course as mentioned, shows going for-fucking-ever. If you're gonna have a 6-hour event, as bad of an idea as that is, that has got to be a culminating crescendo supercard, not just event on the calendar.

I also got quickly tired of the IG niche. Nothing against it, just that for me, less is more would've been the perfect philosophy. I honestly don't understand why there was ever such a strong local appeal to this company. Nothing about it stood out from the rest.
This is why I always compared them to PWG. There was nothing deep about Circus. It was 4 hours of go go go super indie matches. They had storylines, but they were very much secondary. Again, kinda like PWG.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:39 pm

That's being a bit too nice. This was a poor man's excuse for PWG. Perhaps if they had been able to book ROH talent, the comparison would be fair. (Keep in mind I don't give a shit about the Impact/LU/Defy/etc. regulars.)

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 am
supersonic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 pm

This is why I always compared them to PWG. There was nothing deep about Circus. It was 4 hours of go go go super indie matches. They had storylines, but they were very much secondary. Again, kinda like PWG.
That's awfully dismissive of PWG. I know it's fun to dunk on them (haha DVD's - go make that Beyond live streaming scratch!) but the mere fact that Circus was a disaster and died a horrible death should only make it all that more impressive how PWG has successfully existed for 16 years, no?

The actual comparison for WrestleCircus would be any start-up indy over the last 15 years who *thinks* PWG is an easy format to copy.

There really is no comparison unless you are way out of touch as to what current PWG is & just recycling your points from 2016.

- PWG is, in fact, an all-star indy. Not an all-star indy, who fills the undercard with locals.
- PWG doesn't do IG. Or use women at all.
- PWG shows are not marathons. Especially since they moved to Globe 17 months ago. Shows start on time & the longest was probably Night 2 BOLA last year which ended just before 11:30. Usually we're out at 11 on the dot.
- PWG has 2 titles, not 4. The titles are generally protected with long reigns instead of being swapped on almost every show & vacated numerous times.
- PWG does not over-do 3/4 way matches, a common VOW complaint about indy wrestling. In 16 years PWG never had the need to book a random 6 man scramble.
- Outside of BOLA Day 3's, PWG generally uses 16-24 guys per show. You find me the Circus show that used less than 24 guys.

And I won't even go into the business differences because we'd be here forever, unlike WrestleCircus.

I'm assuming you don't watch PWG since I never hear you discuss it outside of the very occasional DVD's in (insert year) joke so I can see why you may have made the comparison without thinking. I just find it insulting to even group PWG with the complete mess that was Circus. Apples & oranges. AAA & CMLL. WWE system wrestlers & actual trained wrestlers.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 pm

I meant in terms of what I quoted. The use of fly in all star talent, with little in the way of traditional wrestling territory storytelling or self made character/gimmick creation. Obviously you cant compare business models, success, buzz, influence, or really anything else. Your description of being a place thinking PWG is easy to copy is spot on.