Wrestle Circus - The Texas SuperIndie

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Wrestle Circus - The Texas SuperIndie

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:10 am

I attended show #2, "The Main Attraction I" tonight in Austin. I know a bunch of people from this board did as well.

Overall impressions. As it was whispered to me when this started up, this promoter has deep pockets and this is a first class show all the way. Aside from the talent, the venue is pretty much perfect for wrestling (a small, low roof warehouse with excellent acoustics, but poor lighting), the setup is professional, and the bells & whistles are top notch (Louden "Gavin Loudspeaker" Noxus and Melissa Santos were your ring announcers, in another example of sparing no expense).

The wrestlers seem to really love this place, which came across with the few that I spoke to privately, so the promoter is clearly taking care of people. Most of the talent were fly ins, even some of the people who would normally drive to Texas indies from places like the Midwest or Florida, saving people long drives. Again, this place spends money. I haven't seen a show in Texas with this level of fly in talent, including a half dozen or so people from California alone (those flights are not cheap).

These aren't self contained "supershows". There are storylines that carry from show to show. They run angles. This show featured a turn. The booking, although just two shows in, is logical & straight forward, with regulars going over people doing one shots or special appearances, and title shots being earned with wins.

This had the feel of a Super Indie, although more along the lines of AAW than PWG, since the show was dotted with upper level talent from the Texas scene as opposed to 100% all stars.

Chris Hero noted in his post match rah rah speech that he was impressed to see so many familiar, talented faces in one locker room, yet he's never seen this particular mix of talent in the same locker room.

Ricky Starks & Aaron Solow def. The Boys - This was a perfect opener. The Boys can really go. It was noted to me that they are barely 20 years old, but they already have a great feel for what they're doing, and it showed here. The act is over, and they incorporate PEACOCK SOUNDS into their work. This was my first look at the new Starks (who has added about 20 pounds of muscle) & Solow tag team, and their cocky heel act has some real potential (they face Joey Ryan & Candice LaRae in Dallas on Sunday). This was the right balance of comedy, heel antics, and modern indie work. Super fun opener. ***1/4

Joey Ryan def. Dick Justice - Absolute trash, but the crowd ate it up. Not my cup of tea. DUD

Jesse Sorensen & Wes Brisco def. Jax Dane & Carson - Jax Dane was a monster here, and got over big with his power offense. Carson went heel and Dane killed him with a spear in the post match. Carson left with the heels. I would have popped through the roof for a Brisco figure four, but it never happened. Paint by numbers Texas style tag, and some of you know exactly what that means. It was fine. **

Christi Jaynes def. Veda Scott - I'd love to bury Scott but she was fine. Jaynes was better. It was my first look at her, and what really stood out was her charisma. I'm told she's headed to Japan soon. **

Scorpio Sky def. Rocky Romero, Jervis Cottonbelly to retain Sideshow Title - "Sideshow" Title is a shit name, it makes it sound unimportant. The stuff between Sky & Romero was really good. I hadn't seen Scorpio Sky in years, but he's as good as ever and was one of the most impressive dudes on the show. Romero is just so smooth, a real pro and a great worker. Jervis' comedy stuff was not intrusive and didn't get in the way. Dick Justice ran off Jervis to eliminate him by countout, as they are in the middle of an ongoing "one year time limit" match from the debut show. ***

Dick Justice and Jervis continued fighting during the intermission.

Mr 450 def ACH, Bolt Brady, Laredo Kid, Jordan Len-X - Mr. 450 is now the #1 contender for the Sideshow title. ACH got a thunderous ovation, as he always does in Austin, with "Welcome home" chants among others. He looked so fucking happy and energetic here. Laredo Kid looked great, as did 450. I'd never seen Len-X, but he hung in just fine. Flips, flips, flips. Super fun. Bolt took the pin, but not before an incredible flying knee strike that took out ACH, in what was the best worked flying tooth spot I've ever seen live. ***3/4

Jeff Cobb def. Willie Mack - Bombs, bombs, bombs. If you like big bombs, and Joe Lanza loves big bombs, this was for you. This was so great. Willie Mack might be the most underrated guy around. Cobb was so awesome to watch live. #BigMike Elgin came out and challenged CObb for December 17. Cobb accepted. YEAH~! ****

Sammy Guevara def. Mustafa Ali - It's no secret that I've been pimping Sammy G since he was a literal teenager, and he was so awesome here, both as a troll heel ("Listen honey, I know you don't know me, but I'm the best in the world, so reintroduce me as such. Thanks, toots." to Santos) and with his work. If Mack is the most underrated guy around, Ali is second. Everything he does is so crisp and clean. These guys clicked perfectly together, and my only minor gripe would be that things were a little "take turns doing spots" until the closing stretch. Other than that, this was great, and the best match on the show. ****1/4

Ethan Carter III def George Gatton to retain the Ringmaster Title - Gatton was the handpicked mystery opponent, doing the local competitor gimmick that Carter did in TNA with Norv Fernum and Kurt Angle used to do in WWE. It didn't get over at all, even with a hot crowd that loved everything. This was a long setup to announce EC3 vs PENTAGON FUCKING JUNIOR on December 17. -**

Brian Cage def. Chris Hero - This was good, but Cage isn't in Hero's league. The weakest Hero match in ages, but that's a high bar. Hero worked hard. So did Cage, to be fair. It just wasn't anything great which is what you expect with Hero these days. ***1/2

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Wrestle Circus - The Texas SuperIndie

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:12 am

So for December 17 in Austin

Jeff Cobb vs Mike Elgin
Ringmaster Title - EC3 vs Pentagon Jr

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:13 am

I would've appreciated this 5-10 years ago when I was actually there.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:24 am

Elgin vs. Cobb. Fucking hell that sounds fantastic.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:49 pm

They flew Elgin in and he didn't even wrestle? Deep pockets for sure.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:24 pm

I'll write more in a bit, woke up feeling like crap, but with her win over Scott, Christi Jaynes is one win away from being their Women's Champion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:36 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:They flew Elgin in and he didn't even wrestle? Deep pockets for sure.
is he cleared from his facial surgery already ?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:54 pm

rollup wrote:
DETROIT_KEJB wrote:They flew Elgin in and he didn't even wrestle? Deep pockets for sure.
is he cleared from his facial surgery already ?
nope

He was booked before the injury, so he showed up anyway and did the meet & greet/autograph gimmick. He sold gimmicks at intermission, too.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:27 am

As I said, the wrestlers really love working for this promotion. The ones I spoke too brought up how excite they are about it unsolicited.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Hope the shows are available on VOD, would love to watch Wrestle Circus and VIP Wrestling more often.

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Willie Mack was a late sub for Tony Nese too. Mack was on their first card, damn good fill-in last minute.

I know with their first show, the production crew he hired no-showed - awful break. It was filmed by someone in the audience.

The owner has a pretty good plan. Definitely a AAW-like model focusing on Texas. Stops in San Antonio, Arlington, etc in the future. A small loop with Austin getting regular shows.

Pete (shoe at @PWO) interviewed Al Lenhart a couple weeks back. It's a really good look behind the scenes at a start-up super indie (would put in plugs, but feel more applicable here).

http://placetobenation.com/this-week-in ... -u-s-indy/

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:08 am

So that's AAW, PWG and WrestleCircus as super-indies on the western half of the US. Who does that leave for the east half besides ROH, TNA & WWN?

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:25 am

AIW in Cleveland.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:41 am

So their next show on December 17 is pretty set:

EC3 vs Pentagon Jr
Michael Elgin vs Jeff Cobb
Donovan Dijak vs Brian Cage
Joey Ryan vs Jade
Christi Jaynes vs Rachel Ellering
Sammy Guevara vs Colt Cabana
Keith Lee/Shane Taylor vs The Boys (omg)
Lance Hoyt vs Adam Page
Scorpio Sky/Laredo Kid/Serpentico vs Ricky Starks/Aaron Solow/Jorden Len-X (if Sky's team loses he loses Sideshow Title)
Jax Dane vs Carson
Oh....and Chris Hero vs ACH

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:42 am

They also noted the planned December show in Houston is cancel with more info to come