Chris Hero's 2016 body of work

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Chris Hero's 2016 body of work

Post by supersonic » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:56 am

Although there are several weeks remaining, I pose the question:

How does Hero's body of work this year compare to Bryan Danielson's run from 9/2005 to 9/2006?

Last edited by supersonic on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbes

Re: Chris Hero's 2016 body of work

Post by Hobbes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:46 am

Comparing that time frame of Bryan Danielson to Chris Hero, the interesting thing is that Bryan during that time worked primarily for ROH and FIP, where he had the run of the places. He hardly worked anywhere else, and only worked overseas at the very end of that period.

One impressive thing about Hero is he's popping up all over the place and traveling everywhere. NOAH tour of Japan last December, crosses the border to do Beyond in Canada, goes to the southern US to work the SCI tournament, works all over the UK, works wXw in Germany. Doing that much travel when you're as big as Hero is can't be easy.

ShittyLittleBoots

Post by ShittyLittleBoots » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:17 pm

I'd take Bryan's best years (2006, 2007, 2008) over Hero's 2016, but I think that the year Hero has had is probably the best any wrestler has had since Dragon's 08.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 am

In 2 months, anyone wanna pick up the task of listing EVERY Hero match from this year that is arguably ****+?

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:56 am

supersonic wrote:In 2 months, anyone wanna pick up the task of listing EVERY Hero match from this year that is arguably ****+?
I'd be happy to take that challenge up. Shouldn't be too difficult to go back in and list the stuff I've got from him that's **** or higher (maybe ***3/4 and higher as there's probably some matches I've got below 4 stars that others might rate higher.

Might need help covering some promotions that I probably won't get to blaze through before the end of the year. AAW and IWA-MS are the main Hero gaps for me right now. Should be able to catch up on what I've missed from his Beyond, IPW:UK and OTT matches easily enough though.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:10 pm

supersonic wrote:In 2 months, anyone wanna pick up the task of listing EVERY Hero match from this year that is arguably ****+?
I have 26 matches but haven't seen SCI and am yet to see Jim Lynam Memorial. I feel strongly that ZSJ and Ospreay are right there with him and there is a trio that are having this type of incredible year.

I can't think of a guy I've ever seen able to control and entertain so many different audiences as Hero has this year. He's so smart at knowing exactly how to engage fans whether they are rowdy drunks, obnoxious assholes, quiet & appreciative, or laid back and fun loving. Doesn't matter the size of the crowd, doesn't matter the position on the card. Hero delivers. And as someone pointed out, with his travel schedule it's amazing. Look at what he did during the summer, hopping over and back from the US to Europe multiple times in SINGLE WEEKENDS back to back! Pure insansity. He does it in his stride though.

The only thing about Hero's year for me is that even though I love every big match he has, they do all feel quite similar. Don't get me wrong, he is as Dave said recently, a chameleon and can adapt to any style. And he's done that, and got all kinds of different wrestlers from Ishii to Andrews to Cobb to have outstanding matches with him. He adapts to what they do so well. However I would have liked to have seen him adapt what HE does a bit more. The pilderivers/elbows/kicks offensive formula is a winner, no doubt about it. It's probably the best offensive routine in wrestling. But even the best stuff can lose it's luster a tad (and for emphasis, I really only mean a tad here). I'd love to see him use some of his old stuff from time to time a bit more. For instance, I'd love to see him use the Hangman's Clutch to put away someone like he had to do with Thatcher in the 2015 BOLA. That may come next year as he's also been smart at knowing when to adjust. For 99% of fans that see him, it's not an issue and probably will never be, but I'd venture to say I've seen more 2016 Chris Hero than almost anyone haha so I notice it more.

That is seriously picking of the tiniest nit. Hero's 2016 is without question an all timer, and needs to be appreciated for a LONG time.

My top three matches:

vs. Tommy End (PROGRESS)
vs. Trevor Lee (AAW)
vs. Andrews (PROGRESS)

honourable mention to the match with Pete Dunne in Galway because I spent that day with Chris and got to really get an appreciation for what his life is like as a truly independent wrestler right down to how he manages his travel with his phone. Then in front of a crowd which I would describe as challenging (1am, halloween weekend, drunk as fuck) he grabbed them all and put them in the palm of his hand, and he brought out more fire in Pete than I've EVER seen.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:12 pm

I have 22 Chris Hero matches at **** or higher this year. That's without seeing any of TPI yet.

I think the emergence of the "Chris Hero bully formula" as the most sure fire way to get a very good-great match is something that's maybe not appreciated enough. Even then there's adaptations within the formula that I think go unnoticed. I've seen a who's who of performers plugged in to this style and it'd be hard to argue that it's not that person's best match of the year. Fred Yehi, Mark Andrews, Shigehiro Irie, Kyle Matthews, Trent Barreta, Jushin Thunder Liger, Mat Fitchett, Fenix, Matt Riddle, Kimber Lee, Jeff Cobb, Cody Rhodes, Tracy Williams, Zack Sabre Jr, Tomohiro Ishii, Jonathan Gresham, Trevor Lee, Jojo Bravo and that's just off the top of my head.

The amazing thing is that while is such a compelling bully, he's still more than capable of playing babyface or fighting from underneath against a Roderick Strong, Kongo Kong, Walter, Pete Dunne or Marty Scurll. He has an uncanny ability to work smaller than he actually is at times and make guys like Scurll and Dunne who are significantly smaller than him seem like his equals.

He radiates a star aura that few in wrestling as a whole can match and he brings that to every promotion he goes to.

The ability to adapt to people who maybe aren't the most complete wrestlers is also a key here. He worked an entirely strike based match with Tommy End and more than covered what the weaknesses in Tommy's game might be. In EVOLVE he wrestled Timothy Thatcher who's taken a hell of beating online this year and worked a match that reminded people who started to turn on Thatcher why they liked him in the first place.

Oh, he also happens to still be one of the best tag team workers in the world and has incredible matches to boast in two pretty different team dynamics with Heroes Eventually Die with Tommy End and Death By Elbow with JT Dunn.

Now, Hero isn't MY Most Outstanding pick (for me it's Zack Sabre Jr), but I think this year without a doubt proved that only behind the aforementioned Danielson, Hero is clearly the 2nd best indie guy ever and guess what, he still has a lot more to give. This year was the turning point in the Chris Hero GOAT conversation.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:16 am

VilinskiKonjic

Post by VilinskiKonjic » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:01 pm

supersonic wrote:
That's a pretty strong list. A bit there I haven't seen but I'd also add a few to the list myself. For the record, this is everything I have at ****+ from Hero's 2016

► Show Spoiler
****1/4
► Show Spoiler
****1/2
► Show Spoiler
****3/4
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
I know I have blindspots too, but what a fucking year.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:05 am

Uh oh, more of that silly practice of rating Rasslin' matches again. :roll:
Who's Rob Viper ?

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:32 am

Thing is, I remember his 2015 being nearly as good.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:46 pm

I loved his 2015. The Mike Bailey match especially stood out, though admittedly I didn't see any of his EVOLVE etc work, just the PWG stuff, which was all great.

Out of this year, my top five would be him vs Shibata, him vs Ishii and both of his matches against Mark Andrews as well as the one against Liger. The tag with Tommy versus Pentagon Jr & Fenix was special, too, but doesn't break the top five. Those Andrews matches I might be biased in favor of because I saw I, and II stood out to me among the BOLA bloat. Still, great year.

soup23

Post by soup23 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Here is my listing of ****+ Hero matches from best to worst. I still need to see his Beyond stuff and the OTT matches in October.

4/2/16 Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr WWN Network Mercury Rising 2016 ****1/2
8/6/16 Chris Hero vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Gunner Miller vs. Anthony Henry SCI 2016 ****1/2
10/8/16 Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AAW Jim Lynam Memorial Night 2 ****1/2
3/19/16 Matt Riddle vs. Chris Hero EVOLVE EVOLVE 57 ****1/2
8/12/16 Marty Scurll vs. Chris Hero Revolution Pro Wrestling Uprising 2016 ****1/2
6/10/16 Chris Hero vs. Timothy Thatcher EVOLVE EVOLVE 62 ****1/4
11/12/16 Tracy Williams vs. Chris Hero EVOLVE EVOLVE 72 ****1/4
3/19/16 Tracy Williams vs. Chris Hero EVOLVE EVOLVE 56 ****1/4
5/6/16 Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. EVOLVE EVOLVE 60 ****1/4
4/9/16 Chris Hero vs. Trevor Lee AAW EPIC ****1/4
10/16/16 Chris Hero vs. Matt Riddle EVOLVE EVOLVE 71 ****1/4
6/19/16 Marty Scurll vs. Chris Hero PROGRESS Chapter 31: All Hail the New Puritans ****1/4
5/29/16 Mark Andrews vs. Chris Hero PROGRESS Chapter 30: Super Strong Style 2016 Night 1 ****1/4
5/30/16 Tommy End vs. Chris Hero PROGRESS Chapter 30: Super Strong Style Tournament 2016: Night 2 ****1/4
12/10/16 Chris Hero vs. Dick Togo EVOLVE EVOLVE 74 ****1/4
3/13/16 Cedric Alexander vs. Chris Hero PWX Rise of a Champion ****
11/11/16 Chris Hero vs. Katsuyori Shibata Rev Pro Global Wars Night 2 ****
10/8/16 Mat Fitchett vs. Chris Hero AAW Jim Lynam Memorial Night 2 ****
2/19/16 Chris Hero & Drew Gulak vs. Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano AAW The Art of War 2016 ****
11/13/16 Chris Hero vs. Matt Riddle EVOLVE EVOLVE 73 ****
11/10/16 Tomohiro Ishii vs. Chris Hero Revolution Pro Global Wars 2016 Night 1 ****
10/7/16 Chris Hero vs. Kongo Kong AAW Jim Lynam Memorial Tournament Night 1 ****
9/1/16 Drew Galloway vs. Chris Hero AAW Cero Miedo ****
4/2/16 Fred Yehi vs. Chris Hero EVOLVE EVOLVE 59 ****
10/15/16 Chris Hero vs. Drew Gulak EVOLVE EVOLVE 70 ****
6/12/16 Josh Bodom vs. Chris Hero Revolution Pro Wrestling Angle vs. Sabre Jr. ****

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Uh oh, more of that silly practice of rating Rasslin' matches again. :roll:
Whether you like star ratings or not, people use it as a guide for what to rewatch. That's why people do them and why people rate them. It's cataloging and sorting more than anything.

Would you be as mad and eye-roll if people used "Good, very good and great" as a way to recommend matches to one another?