Ring Of Honor

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:57 pm

duyarvish wrote:Even if DA never actually did anything for them it's tough to imagine how this is a positive. That's a lot of looparounds to find a show that they just post online the next day anyway.
Look at it this way. DA was the cherry on the top, ROH was still backed by the syndicated telecasts but they were getting a little bit of extra exposure from Destination America, especially for those in markets without Sinclair (myself in Chicago included).

Now, they'll have essentially the same clearance with Comet, it just becomes a bit harder to find it. Those without antennas or built-in antennas will either have to buy one or handwave the thing for now, that's not good. With it cripple ROH? Of course not. Will they lose some fans who were picked up during the Destination America days? There's a definite possibility.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 pm

Since they'll still air on all their current local/regional stations they'll at worse be back where they were pre- DA

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Exactly. So it's not really a good or a bad thing. They are lower than they were WITH Destination America but not lower than they were in the early part of this year so whatever.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:44 pm

This move to Comet TV really doesn't have an affect on me, since my hometown gets a Sinclair affiliate anyway, but I pretty much agree with what Rich had to say.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 pm

It's also a two week old channel, so it could be making it's way to cable lineups sooner than we think.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:55 pm

TGD287 wrote:It's also a two week old channel, so it could be making it's way to cable lineups sooner than we think.
I would be shocked if that were the case, though. Look at Sinclair's lineup. Just doing a quick glance I think they have legitimately ONE cable station. They make their living on syndicated networks, local networks and sub-channels like Comet.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
TGD287 wrote:It's also a two week old channel, so it could be making it's way to cable lineups sooner than we think.
I would be shocked if that were the case, though. Look at Sinclair's lineup. Just doing a quick glance I think they have legitimately ONE cable station. They make their living on syndicated networks, local networks and sub-channels like Comet.
I think the gameplan is to make Comet and that sports network they are working on into legitimate cable. But that's just something I've heard/read on social media and other forums so I could very well be wrong.

But as I said, that's the longterm plan. At the moment Sinclair's current model will suit them just fine with Comet. And it obviously makes them money.

JFC3400

Post by JFC3400 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:09 pm

They do still have truly national availability via NESN, which is carried on a number of cable systems across the country and via DISH or DirecTV to anyone who pays for the regional sports channels.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Right. Essentially all that's changed is those who were watching it exclusively on Destination America will have to find a way to watch via Comet. Those who were already watching via Sinclair affiliates, nothing whatsoever has changed.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:09 am

I'll say this...if you fall behind on ROH, it takes forever to catch up on...especially once the TOUR shows hit the torrent wire. Drowning in ROH binge watching.

JFC3400

Post by JFC3400 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
I think what he means is that the cable systems will carry the local Comet stations. I actually think this will indeed be the case for the local markets in which Comet airs. Just like Comcast, Time Warner, etc... air local SBG stations, they will pick up Comet (possibly when each SBG cable carriage agreement renews?). The other digital sub channels in my area like MeTV are on the local Cable providers now. It won't increase the reach any, but will make it convenient for people who don't have antennas and won't seek the show out beyond their cable box.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 am

I don't think it's an inherent horrible thing at all. They'll still have their big Sinclair markets and their live attendances will likely still be fine. Still, this likely means that this is what they are and this is what they are going to stay as.

They probably aren't that wrong to do so, I doubt an adult orientated wrestling show with their production values was ever going to gain traction on a major network or anything but it says a lot that no one even tried. I know DA didn't give them all that much of a shot, but it's not like they brought their A game either. They stuck with what worked and now are back to that I guess.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:11 am

So here's what the card looks like, thus far, for the TV Tapings in Nashville, Tennessee this weekend:

- The Briscoes vs. The Young Bucks
- Surprise Ten-Man Tag - Team Lethal (ROH World Champion Jay Lethal & Four Random Mystery Partners) vs. Team Strong (ROH World TV Champion Roderick Strong & Four Random Mystery Partners)
- ACH & Matt Sydal vs. Roppongi Vice
- reDRagon vs. Silas Young & The Beer City Bruiser
- ODB vs. Taeler Hendrix (with Truth Martini)
- Heidi Lovelace vs. Veda Scott

Signed To Appear:

- Adam Cole
- Moose
- War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe)
- Adam Page
- The All-Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus)
- Dalton Castle
- Silas Young
- Chris Sabin
- Donovan Dijak (with Truth Martini)

Parasol

Post by Parasol » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:22 pm

JFC3400 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
I think what he means is that the cable systems will carry the local Comet stations. I actually think this will indeed be the case for the local markets in which Comet airs. Just like Comcast, Time Warner, etc... air local SBG stations, they will pick up Comet (possibly when each SBG cable carriage agreement renews?). The other digital sub channels in my area like MeTV are on the local Cable providers now. It won't increase the reach any, but will make it convenient for people who don't have antennas and won't seek the show out beyond their cable box.

Yeah, it'll be on the local cable packages that carry a Sinclair network affiliate. It feels like a pointless move since Comet will almost entirely be in markets which have a Sinclair network affiliate which means people can already get ROH on the main channel whether on cable or antenna.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Right but those of us who didn't have Sinclair (me in Chicago, a huge market for ROH) will have to go the OTA route for now. That's not a big issue for some but given the questions and confusing yesterday, a good percentage of their audience has no fucking clue what OTA is or how to get it.