Ring Of Honor

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
JFC3400

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by JFC3400 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:26 pm

The length of that post formally qualifies you as a dirtsheet. So...Charles Humphries?

Here's the thing. People are making two bad assumptions when talking about this match:

Bad Assumption #1: The plan was for AJ Styles to win the ROH title. To your credit, I don't think you believed this. The likelihood of ROH putting the World Title on a guy they don't have under contract, and who has priority commitments with another promotion, is very low. Lethal retaining was likely the plan all along.

Bad Assumption #2: AJ Syles can't lose outside of NJPW. This is where you're getting tripped up. The reality is that he's going to be protected and likely can't lose while actually holding the IWGP (and probably IC title, assuming he wins it). Don't forget that the Main Event of the 13th Anniversary Show was supposed to be Briscoe vs Styles, but the plan was scrapped when they learned that AJ would be IWGP Champion by then...because he wouldn't have been able to lose while holding the title. That means he was okay with losing. More importantly, AJ debuted by laying out Okada last year and challenging him for a title match the following month. He then went home and lost to Elgin clean on ROH TV just days before winning the IWGP title. I 100% believe that Delirious knew the WK9 plan when he booked the match and cleared it with Gedo. I mean, losing to the ROH World Champion on their biggest show of the year is hardly being buried. He'll likely get his win back later, too...possibly in Japan. It doesn't hurt his match with Nakamura, builds Lethal for the Japanese fans if they promote it, and the loss will be rectified when AJ wins the IC title. It also adds to the potential Lethal/Nakamura conflict because Lethal would hold a victory over the guy who beat Nak for the title.

Great...now I'm a dirtsheet, too.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:37 pm

But then you get into a situation that Styles has to win the IC title. Has to. Because if he doesn't, he's 0-3 in world title matches over the last 3 months. And even if he does win the ROH title, then you get to a point where either Nakamura beats him non-title and makes the ROH title look bad, Nakamura wins the ROH title, or Styles is a double champion and cannot lose in either promotion. Because god can imagine what the discussions would be like to get Styles to lose one of those world titles.

The safe bet really is Styles losing the ROH title, winning the IC title, and then you can run Styles/Lethal on the undercard of Invasion Attack or Dominion or to head Dontaku given that Lethal has a win over Styles. Or whatever happens.

themib

Post by themib » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:45 pm

The poor Rev Pro British Heavyweight Title in all this...

JFC3400

Post by JFC3400 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:33 am

This is going to become a thing as the dates approach, but I really wonder when people are going to stop with the AJ WWE talk. They've shown 0 willingness to get into a bidding war over someone and have lost out to talents from one of the notoriously cheap companies in recent wrestling history in Sinclair. Do people really think that NJPW is going to let one of their 4 biggest stars walk without making it worth his while to stay? NXT doesn't need him to draw and his window for the main roster is so short if they did have interest in him that it'd hardly be worth overpaying for him (unless they had really big top guy plans, which they should...but they won't).

People read A LOT into that Taz interview where AJ basically gave the generic (and truthful) answer that he'll go wherever the best deal is.

Also, not that this is anything that couldn't be broken, but Styles said on Twitter that he's booked for the January ROH show in Atlanta on 1/23. I don't think he's planning on going anywhere.

Finally, Fray, no offense intended from using your shoot name. I thought that was a thing here because Lanza used it on the podcast and you wrote an article under that name for the site as well without really hiding at all who you are. I mean, it's not like I posted a picture of Dos Caras without his mask on or something. Sorry I didn't double check the spelling. I figured you'd know who I was referring to, regardless.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:41 am

JFC3400 wrote: Also, not that this is anything that couldn't be broken, but Styles said on Twitter that he's booked for the January ROH show in Atlanta on 1/23. I don't think he's planning on going anywhere.
This is true. He did say he was going to be on that show.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 am

Not every great wrestler is going to get signed by Trips' faux-indy jerkoff project. I think AJ will be in the main event scene of NJPW for awhile yet.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:56 am

NXT closes and opens like a lot of colleges do during the Holidays. Balor and Becky had the longest Christmas break ever last year. Takes well into January for them to get back into the swing of things.

I haven't heard to rumblings I usually hear when someone is on the verge of signing. Also looking at the events of 2015 those who are in ROH stay in ROH when the opportunity to go to NXT opens up.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:23 am

AJ Styles is a 38 year old man with a family. If WWE wants to pay him more money then anyone else I don't think he will really care about the quality of his matches. I don't think he goes, but I think it's dumb to dismiss it totally too.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:12 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
JFC3400 wrote: Also, not that this is anything that couldn't be broken, but Styles said on Twitter that he's booked for the January ROH show in Atlanta on 1/23. I don't think he's planning on going anywhere.
He's also booked for Rev Pro Jan 16th against Zach Sabre Jr.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:48 pm

dancecab wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
EXTREMELY excited for that match!!

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:41 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
dancecab wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
EXTREMELY excited for that match!!
Likewise. But yeah it seems AJ is booked up all January. I really don't think he's going to Full Sail.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:28 pm

dancecab wrote: Likewise. But yeah it seems AJ is booked up all January. I really don't think he's going to Full Sail.
ROH just put out a number of event posters for their shows in January, and AJ Styles is on two of them, so it looks like he'll still be around in January, at least.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 pm

None of this really would matter in terms of him singing or not until we see if he's booked on whatever the first NJPW show is after the Dome. He's probably been signed on those ROH dates for months now.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:59 pm

The 14th Anniversary Show in Las Vegas, Nevada has been announced for February 26th & 27th. The former will be a Live PPV, while the latter will be a TV Taping.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:58 pm