Ring Of Honor

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Locked
User avatar
Robareid
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:38 am
Location: South East England, UK
Contact:

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Robareid » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:41 am

Different era though.

User avatar
skrambr0
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by skrambr0 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the Tag Title match from this week's tv - super fun!

Quentin Moody
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Roddy vs Lethal on TV this week was fucking great. Definitely better than the match at Death Before Dishonor I was there for. That's easily in my top 3 for TV matches in wrestling this year and one of the best ROH matches this year. ****1/2

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:Roddy vs Lethal on TV this week was fucking great. Definitely better than the match at Death Before Dishonor I was there for. That's easily in my top 3 for TV matches in wrestling this year and one of the best ROH matches this year. ****1/2
It looked like a MOTY caliber bout and In have to find a way to see it unclipped. Lethal is killing it as champion. He's super motivated and a must watch wrestler right now.

This week's TV might have been the best TV show of the year. Right there with any LU ep or the great ROH ep from when NJPW was in town.

User avatar
DXvsNWO
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:30 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Quentin Moody wrote:Roddy vs Lethal on TV this week was fucking great. Definitely better than the match at Death Before Dishonor I was there for. That's easily in my top 3 for TV matches in wrestling this year and one of the best ROH matches this year. ****1/2
It looked like a MOTY caliber bout and In have to find a way to see it unclipped. Lethal is killing it as champion. He's super motivated and a must watch wrestler right now.

This week's TV might have been the best TV show of the year. Right there with any LU ep or the great ROH ep from when NJPW was in town.
I believe ROH mentioned on Twitter that the Philly Show will be out on DVD at some point (similar to how the 2nd Night of Global Wars this year was a TV Taping that was later put out on DVD).

In regards to this week's episode, it was pretty great. We still have a lot of good stuff coming up from that TV Taping (Briscoes & Goto vs. Okada & RPG Vice, Sydal vs. KUSHIDA, Nakamura vs. Cole), so the next few weeks should be pretty good.

Here's an interesting question: How do people think this week's episode (with Lethal vs. Strong & Young Bucks vs. The Addiction) compares to the episode from Global Wars that had Strong vs. Nakamura and the Styles/Young Bucks vs. Okada/RPG Vice Six-Man Tag, in the sense of which one was better? Is it even possible to pick a better episode between those two?
Image

Quentin Moody
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:33 pm

The Roddy/Nak match was good, but very underwhelming for all the hype it got coming out of the tapings and not anywhere on the same level as Roddy/Lethal. The Bucks/Addiction was just really fun stuff with a crowd that was in to it. I think Bullet Club/Chaos was a better match, but I'll put them equally on how much I enjoyed watching them. I'd put this week's ROH over that by a slight margin.

User avatar
DIFH
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by DIFH » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 am

Joe Lanza wrote: Lethal is killing it as champion. He's super motivated and a must watch wrestler right now.

This week's TV might have been the best TV show of the year. Right there with any LU ep or the great ROH ep from when NJPW was in town.
Man this is just the complete opposite on my feelings of the guy. How "can't miss" can he be if he had two mediocre to bad matches with the guy I consider the wrestler of the year by a mile at this point?

To be fair terrible commercial placement killed the tv rematch but nothing he does is engaging. It's not even like he does good heel work either, he just wrestles slower...which would be fine if 90% of his matches weren't useless filler until the finishing sequence because they need to do something that looks cool.

The TV episode as a whole I thought was pretty bad. The tag match was terrible, especially for THOSE two teams and filled with more interference in ring of HONOR. The second title match of championship edition ROH TV also featured a dirty finish and needless distractions. ROH does more bad finishes these days than WWE and that's not a good thing.

User avatar
JFC3400
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 am

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by JFC3400 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:53 am

DIFH wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote: Lethal is killing it as champion. He's super motivated and a must watch wrestler right now.

This week's TV might have been the best TV show of the year. Right there with any LU ep or the great ROH ep from when NJPW was in town.
Man this is just the complete opposite on my feelings of the guy. How "can't miss" can he be if he had two mediocre to bad matches with the guy I consider the wrestler of the year by a mile at this point?

To be fair terrible commercial placement killed the tv rematch but nothing he does is engaging. It's not even like he does good heel work either, he just wrestles slower...which would be fine if 90% of his matches weren't useless filler until the finishing sequence because they need to do something that looks cool.

The TV episode as a whole I thought was pretty bad. The tag match was terrible, especially for THOSE two teams and filled with more interference in ring of HONOR. The second title match of championship edition ROH TV also featured a dirty finish and needless distractions. ROH does more bad finishes these days than WWE and that's not a good thing.
You and Fray are officially the vocal minority tandem regarding ROH here and on Twitter right now. I don't disagree with all of your issues/criticisms about the booking, but understand your opinions about Lethal as a heel right now, this episode, and especially this particular Lethal/Strong match are very much the contrarian view.

It's all subjective, but I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone not heading into the show totally sour on the promotion (which both of you are) would have been nearly as negative on it.

User avatar
MobbVanDam
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 pm
Location: MO/TN
Contact:

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:39 am

DIFH wrote: ROH does more bad finishes these days than WWE and that's not a good thing.
Do you honestly believe this or do you just love hyperbole until someone breaks down the numbers?

User avatar
DIFH
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by DIFH » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:41 pm

MidSouthMonster wrote:
DIFH wrote: ROH does more bad finishes these days than WWE and that's not a good thing.
Do you honestly believe this or do you just love hyperbole until someone breaks down the numbers?
Addiction vs Young Bucks kingdom interference leading to finish
Addiction vs Future Shock kingdom interference leading to finish
Cedric Alexander vs Caprice Coleman Moose interference leading to finish
AJ Styles winning a tag match between the young bucks and War Machine


That's all from different episodes over the last month. And in a ONE HOUR SHOW.

User avatar
PKThree
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Cold frozen north

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by PKThree » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm

So the clean finishes should not be saved for the PPVs/big shows then? Have I missed the memo?

ROH doesn't run on the exact same formula anymore. At the size they are they cannot. When you run PPVs and such with TV around it you need to start booking towards those shows, and to have the payoffs at those shows.

could they have more clean finishes at TV? Sure. But they amount they have are not really an issue since it isn't run ins for run ins sakes.

User avatar
Leo C
Posts: 269
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Leo C » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:19 pm

I really have no problem with some of these interferences. I didn't like the AJ one as I feel like simply switching the participant in the match is a bit too much and I don't think Cedric should be losing to Caprice of all people, but the Addiction matches' interference is leading to something down the line, whereas most WWE interference finishes are just there because they book the match and don't want either guy to lose.

User avatar
lob3
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by lob3 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm right with Fray and the "vocal minority" on this one. I honestly haven't even been invested or watched much of the TV since that debacle of Roddy/Lethal 60 minute draw.
Creator/Owner of Phoenix Plex Review
That VOW Lucha Underground guy.

User avatar
rovert
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:45 am

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by rovert » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Yeah ROH kind of lost me over this Summer. A lot is my personal laziness but still I wish I knew the direction towards Final Battle and that it was interesting on paper. Cool matches happen all the time but from a storyline POV what's going on of interest? Too much of it is transparent servicing of Hunter Johnson's friendships.

Quentin Moody
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Ring Of Honor 2015

Post by Quentin Moody » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:47 pm

This was the first episode of ROH TV I've watched in a month. TV was just really uninteresting. The VOD's have been very good this year, but man most of the TV outside a few notable episodes have been painfully dry.

Locked