Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BlizzardAcolyte

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:25 am

I did enjoy how the soldier (Gordon) pretty much needed a small platoon to beat two guys (Bully & Young), nice attention to detail there.

On a more serious note, if Castle is still seriously hurt, he's still doing a good enough job of weaving that into his selling, for now anyways. Maybe he needs to spend more time at commentary while he finishes healing up?

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Welcome To Villain Enterprises

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 am

Bandido has signed with Ring of Honor, will debut in 2019.

ROH is currently trying to sign bandido partner flamita to a deal also.

KLC

Post by KLC » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:46 am

At least Bandido can work NJPW now without getting heat.

(Probably CMLL now as well)

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Final battle delivered as usual. Page vs Cobb and Sabre vs Gresham were great. Flip vs Bully Ray was the most entertaining overbooked clusterfuck I have ever seen. I loved the crowd chanting U - S - A at Bully Ray like if he was the Iron Sheik in 1981. The Ladder War also delivered big time, just the camera work n the finishing sequence was suboptimal with one of the Briscoes taking a huge bump into a ladder but dropped out of the camera so nobody will ever see it, another bump was nearly missed.

In the end, it was most probably the right thing to reward the longtime stars lethal and Briscoes and bring fresh blood in. But they should have done this much earlier. In the end they only have to blame themselves that one of the biggest prospects of the business, Hangman Page, grew in their promotion and they never put a singles title on him.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:05 pm

adam page is the biggest lost.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Thought Final Battle was a decent show, but lesser than past iterations. I'm sure the knowledge that the challengers in 3 of 4 title matches were on the way out colored my opinions to a point. Cobb/Page, Gresham/ZSJ, Daniels/Scurll and the main event were the highlights for me. Worst match of the night to me was the Bully Ray/Flip cluster. Even if I did like either of them, I could have done with a better end to what was booked like an epic feud for Flip.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:56 pm

With the signings of PCO, Brody King and Bandido, another one that's gone under the radar is the signing of Mark Haskins. ROH posted a match he had with the departing Hangman Page on the most recent UK tour...

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:57 pm

A little late on posting this (obviously), but I thought Final Battle was a pretty solid PPV overall (you can check out my full thoughts in my review that I wrote for the site). It was a bit strange that we didn't get any hints or whatnot towards the 2019 direction on that show, like most of us were expecting, but I guess they wanted to give The Elite guys their moment before they left.

With regards to ROH in 2019, a number of these points I'm going to bring up here were mentioned on the recent Wrestling Omakase episode on ROH's 2018 (with John Carroll, myself, and Joe Gagne), so if you haven't listened to that already, go do so now (hopefully I don't come off as a guy who rambled too much lol).

I don't think we're going to get a truly clear picture as to what the future of ROH is in the "Post-Elite" Era until after the MSG show in April. Of course, there's the questions surrounding the New Japan relationship. In a perfect world, I would hope that New Japan can work with both AEW and ROH, but (until I'm proven wrong), I don't see that as being realistic. The Honor Rising shows are already confirmed, plus the MSG show is a join effort by ROH and New Japan. Basically, what we need to keep an eye on is whether the annual War Of The Worlds Tour gets announced for May. I feel like AEW will probably (?) be close to getting started officially by that point (as in, running actual shows), so if there is a change in the relationship between ROH and New Japan, I think we would start to get signs around spring/summer (but that's just my speculation).

Something else that has to be considered as well (with regards to the New Japan/ROH/AEW question) is the talent sharing situation. We know that a number of New Japan regulars have either confirmed that they'll be appearing more for ROH in 2019 (Juice Robinson), or are rumored to be working more ROH dates in 2019 (Zack Sabre Jr., Will Ospreay). I'd also be intrigued to see what happens with ROH talents who either have established relationships with New Japan already (Marty Scurll), have blossoming relationships with New Japan (Jeff Cobb), or who might be looking to get into New Japan this year (I feel like Bandito in Best Of The Super Juniors is something a lot of people would like to see). From a talent standpoint, with all of those things taken into account, it seems like the ROH/New Japan relationship might continue beyond April, but again, that's just my speculation based on what we already know.

As far as the attendance question goes, I don't think we're going to see an insane decline in ticket sales. I could see (and I actually totally expect) a gradual decline, but I don't see it being sudden. Much like the New Japan relationship, I don't think we'll really know what the future looks like until after MSG. ROH has a ton of shows scheduled between now and April, and for most of them, tickets have been on sale for awhile. The big test is going to be how they do with ticket sales after April (and I'm sure Lavie Margolin will be all over that). An early pre-MSG might be the Baltimore show they're running on March 31st. It's in the same venue they used for Best In The World and Glory By Honor, and it's pretty sizable (capacity of around 5000). The fact that they're running a big venue in the Northeast the week before the MSG show is a bit questionable by itself, so if they draw a poor number there, I wouldn't totally pin that on The Elite not being there, but I would still keep an eye on it.

Speaking of venues, once we get past MSG, I feel like ROH is going to realize quickly that the days of running these smaller/mid-sized arenas (that have around 5000ish, in terms of capacity) are over. Again, I don't believe that attendance is going to crash. As an example, I don't think ROH will have any trouble selling out their next PPV in Las Vegas, as they return to their traditional Vegas home at Sam's Town (that seats about 800 or so, from what I can recall). However, I don't think they'll be able to successfully run places like the UMBC Arena in Baltimore, or the Cabarrus Arena outside of Charlotte, anymore. Their ceiling might go back to being buildings at or around 2000, with places like the Hammerstein Ballroom or the Lowell Memorial Auditorium.

With regards to the talent, it's nice to see that they have started to get aggressive with signing names from outside of the training camps (finally). Jeff Cobb was a great signing a few months ago, and it sounds like he'll be in ROH for the foreseeable future. From there, I wasn't totally thrilled with the PCO or Brody King signings, but again, they're finally targeting guys who were names on the independents, which is an area that they've seriously been lacking in for a long time (right now, I do think the Villain Enterprises stable is a great way to introduce and use both guys). The signings have only gotten better from there (Mark Haskins, then Bandito), so I've got no complaints there.

Finally (to close out this long and rambling post), I think it's clear that the Women Of Honor is the worst women's division of the three "big" companies with television (talking about WWE, Impact, and ROH). WWE blows ROH out of the water with regards to the women, while Impact's Knockouts Division at least has an interesting mix of good wrestlings and standout characters. The Women Of Honor is just a very bland division (especially with Tenille Dashwood being out with an injury). Right now, the best women that ROH has are slightly above average, at the absolute best, and that's not good at all. Unfortunately, they just weren't able to capitalize a few years ago when the talent was out there. I know Athena (Ember Moon) was the center of the division during the attempted 2013 reboot, but how could you let her slip through the cracks. How do you use people like Heidi Lovelace (Ruby Riott) and Kimber Lee (pre-WWE) once, but never use them again after that? Candice LeRae worked a couple of shows, and Deonna Purrazzo was a major fixture of the division, but they were both lost to WWE. The new reality is that WWE is simply the place to be if you want to make it as a women's wrestler in North America. Now there are still some names out there on the independents who would be very solid additions (Nicole Savoy and Shotzi Blackheart are two women I enjoy, and I don't think they're signed with anyone), but I doubt ROH will seriously target them.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 pm

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:59 am

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:26 pm

NO PASA NADA PERROS!

Stank of Honor

Post by Stank of Honor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:44 am

Tag Wars Final Show In San Antonio was great. Crowd was hot for everything. I know they won’t, but ROH should make this available on their YouTube to show people what the 2019 roster is all about. This was worth putting out there. Show ends with the entire crowd on its feet for good reason. Don’t judge this company based on their TV show, these “On Tour” events are better. In my opinion, this was the best non PPV event in honor club era.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Observer:
We still don't know what the MSG main event will be. Jay White against Tanahashi, or Okada-Tanahashi. Maybe even Tanahashi-Jericho.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:54 am

Got my tickets for the "Seattle" show! I don't really follow ROH anymore, but excited to see their debut show in the PNW!