Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
thecubsfan

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 am

please please pull me back if I'm out to lunch, but if you're launching a wrestling VOD library service in 2018, I think you *must have* these things on each videos

* a list of which matches are in the video
* a tagging mechanism (or an equally simple search by wrestler function)

I believe they should have more than that, but that's the absolute minimum. And HonorClub is incredibly not meeting that minimum. Not even the newest shows have a list of what matches are on the show. If I want to find out what was on the show, I need another tab open to cagematch or wrestlingdata to track down that basic information myself. And there's no hope in searching for anything. And even if I know the exact show I want to see, I still have to hunt around to find it because they haven't bothered to put the shows in any particular order - every year before 2017 is in an order that appears random to me.

I'm not a close ROH watcher, so maybe regular ROH fans know which shows they want to see. Or maybe they just figure most people are watching the livestream shows and paying no attention to the VOD anyway. As a casual person who might be interested in leafing thru ROH's back catalog, they've made it very hard and far more work than it's worth, I can't imagine anyone using this service that way. It seems to me like it should take no more than five minutes to put a list of matches for each video, and maybe not even that long to figure out how to sort the videos in a normal fashion. I thought the story was ROH was working on this service for a long time; it really comes off as a slapdash thing they threw together as quick as possible.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

The service feels like something you put together if you are essentially told you have to have a streaming service and must hit certain bare minimums and not giving a shit enough to go past it. Maybe it will improve with time, but apart from being a good deal if you want to follow current ROH, it's pretty disappointing.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 am

thecubsfan wrote:please please pull me back if I'm out to lunch, but if you're launching a wrestling VOD library service in 2018, I think you *must have* these things on each videos

I believe they should have more than that, but that's the absolute minimum. And HonorClub is incredibly not meeting that minimum. Not even the newest shows have a list of what matches are on the show. If I want to find out what was on the show, I need another tab open to cagematch or wrestlingdata to track down that basic information myself. And there's no hope in searching for anything. And even if I know the exact show I want to see, I still have to hunt around to find it because they haven't bothered to put the shows in any particular order - every year before 2017 is in an order that appears random to me.

I'm not a close ROH watcher, so maybe regular ROH fans know which shows they want to see. Or maybe they just figure most people are watching the livestream shows and paying no attention to the VOD anyway. As a casual person who might be interested in leafing thru ROH's back catalog, they've made it very hard and far more work than it's worth, I can't imagine anyone using this service that way. It seems to me like it should take no more than five minutes to put a list of matches for each video, and maybe not even that long to figure out how to sort the videos in a normal fashion. I thought the story was ROH was working on this service for a long time; it really comes off as a slapdash thing they threw together as quick as possible.
cagematch.net

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 am

Observer:
In numbers compiled by Lavie Margolan, for the first quarter, ROH averaged 1,266 fans per show, up 30 percent from the first quarter of 2017. There were seven sellout in eight shows, a sellout percentage unprecedented in company history. The company's previous best first quarter averaged 1,000 in 2015

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 pm

SCOH FINAL CARD

- Cody vs. Kenny Omega
- ROH World Title - Dalton Castle vs. "The Villain" Marty Scurll
- ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Titles - Ladder Match - SoCal Uncensored (The Addiction & Scorpio Sky) vs. The Young Bucks & Flip Gordon
- ROH World Tag Team Titles - The Briscoes vs. Jay Lethal & Hiroshi Tanahashi
- ROH World TV Title - Last Man Standing - Kenny King vs. Silas Young
- Kota Ibushi vs. "The Hangman" Adam Page
- Punishment Martinez vs. Tomohiro Ishii
- Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Finals - Kelly Klein/Mayu Iwatani vs. Sumie Sakai/Tenille Dashwood

Pre-Show

- Chuckie T vs. Jonathan Gresham
- Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Semi-Finals - Kelly Klein vs. Mayu Iwatani
- Women Of Honor Title Tournament - Semi-Finals - Sumie Sakai vs. Tenille Dashwood

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:37 am

Stoked for Cody/Omega, Castle/Scurll, and Punishment/Ishii

ROH always delivers on PPVs though, even on the lower card "not as exciting looking" matches.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:22 am

It's a great card and for a record audience they are all going to delivery. Anyway, most of them are exclusive for this show on the weekend, so they will be fresh and can go the extra mile.

Is it a PPV? Or is it just a live event?

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Kirk D wrote:It's a great card and for a record audience they are all going to delivery. Anyway, most of them are exclusive for this show on the weekend, so they will be fresh and can go the extra mile.

streaming live on honor club and fite tv

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Supercard of Honor was the first major ROH show that I watched since last year's Wrestlemania weekend show. I thought it was pretty good overall but definitely not without its issues.

Match of the night for me was actually Kota Ibushi vs. Hangman Page. I don't think that Page will ever have that “it” factor that someone needs to be a star, but he's definitely had some impressive performances lately and he hung with Ibushi every step of the way here. That long sequence on the outside of the ring was amazing, particularly that insane apron suplex. This is the kind of fast-paced, no-bullshit action that I want from a Ring of Honor show.

The Trios Titles ladder match was a lot of fun too, although if The Kingdom were going to be so heavily involved I'm not sure why they didn't just book them to be an official part of the match in the first place. There were a ton of fun crazy spots though. I tend to think that Flip Gordon is really inconsistent, but this was definitely a night where he was on, to the point that I felt that he was the star of the match.

The first two matches (Chucky T vs. Jonathan Gresham and Punishment Martinez vs. Tomohiro Ishii) were really strong as well. They were both paced really well and were exactly the kind of nice, punchy little matches that you want to see on the undercard of a big show like this. I haven't quite gotten the hype for Martinez in the past, but he looked really impressive here.

The rest of the show was a mixed bag. Part of the problem was the weird match order. It's nice that the Women of Honor finally actually got a spot on a major show, but why hang them out to dry by putting them directly after the spectacular Ibushi/Page match? Why have that intermission in the middle of what was already going to be an overlong show? Why put the Kenny King/Silas Young match that nobody in the world was hyped for so late on the card? Why include that dumb Bully Ray/Cheeseburger segment at all? Why put the Omega/Cody match that was clearly the draw of the show in the semi-main event slot? The show started with a hot three match stretch but then felt bloated and awkwardly paced for its last three hours.

Omega and Cody was okay. The storyline has been great, and the crowd was certainly into the match, but the in-ring action wasn't strong enough to justify it going 35 minutes. Cody has been doing good character work lately, but he just isn't nearly good enough between the ropes to hold up his end of an epic match.

It was also a big mistake to follow such a long match with another half hour plus match like Dalton Castle vs. Marty Scurll. I like both characters, but I don't see either of them as "epic main event" guys as much as I see them as colorful midcarders. In fairness the members of the crowd that stuck around after Omega/Cody seemed to be pretty into the main event, but to me it just felt like it went on forever. There are few things that kill a match for me like a wrestler endlessly searching for their prop under the ring, and this match included an all-time clumsy example of that. Granted the sequence with Todd Sinclair being unable to count to 3 because his fingers were broken was kind of funny, but it wasn't worth the endless awkward stalling as Marty searched for the powder bag.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:04 pm

monster mafia wrote:
Kirk D wrote:It's a great card and for a record audience they are all going to delivery. Anyway, most of them are exclusive for this show on the weekend, so they will be fresh and can go the extra mile.

streaming live on honor club and fite tv
And today, 16:00 Central European time the replay is actually available. It's not good advertising, if you have to pursue other means for something that you paid for.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:44 pm

In hindsight if you cut 5 to 10 minutes(!!!) off of the World Title match you have a hell of a contest. Everything after the powder spot was AWESOME, hell of a closing stretch. The chicken wing spots had me hard and I loved the fighting spirit of Castle, but an absolutely great closing coming after such plodding work wasn't enough to allow this to be the classic it could have been.

Cody vs. Kenny was awesome as well, Loved it. Maybe a little overlong as these Bucks/Kenny/BTE epics tend to be. I just fear that the BTE shit is starting to head into diminishing returns territory, everything has been awesome but are we supposed to see this stuff go on until SEPTEMBER?? At some point I'm gonna really start to pine for main event Omega again. At the end of the day all these guys, with the exception of Cody, are much better wrestlers than actors.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 pm

I agree, the main event was just dragging 5-10 minutes in the middle of the match. The end was a great watch.

Cody vs Kenny was awesome and allows for good storyline continuations. In ROH, there will be no 5* match Omega, there you get the sports entertainment Omega. The 5* Omega is performing in New Japan.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Exactly Kirk, and don't get me wrong I really enjoy that dichotomy. It's really neat to notice the differences between American and Japanese Omega, and Cody is a perfect heel, the whole gimmick spot was one of the best of the weekend.

I just hope these guys can keep this long epic story on the rails for as long as it looks like they intend on pushing it. After two 40 minute story driven epics, I'm not sure emotionally I can keep giving a shit about frowny face Nick and Matt, etc.

Regardless I'd love to see Omega 1 on 1 with Cody again, in say a cage match or something like that.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:24 pm

It was the biggest crowd in ROH history...so I don't mind the expansive card. But, to be fair, a lot of the show dragged on. I get it...you need to make the show feel epic.

Kenny v. Cody and Title match should have been flop flopped, IMO. But other that that, not many complaints. Everything delivered to a point. Wasn't the best show of the weekend, but it as rock solid.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:32 am

thecubsfan wrote:please please pull me back if I'm out to lunch, but if you're launching a wrestling VOD library service in 2018, I think you *must have* these things on each videos

mlev76 wrote:The service feels like something you put together if you are essentially told you have to have a streaming service and must hit certain bare minimums and not giving a shit enough to go past it. Maybe it will improve with time, but apart from being a good deal if you want to follow current ROH, it's pretty disappointing.
http://rohforum.site/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 23#p152622