Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Rottenrocker

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by Rottenrocker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:40 am

Very cool news about Suzuki.

That being said I don't think I'm alone in saying that Cody isn't exactly a great wrestler.

gbogard

Post by gbogard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:06 pm

I've driven from SoCal to Vegas for the last 3 ROH PPV's but gonna have to miss this. Bummed about missing Suzuki. I'd actually be more excited to get a picture with him then see his match since I can't think of anyone off the top of my head on the ROH roster I'd like to see him against. Any suggestions? Minoru also doesn't strike me as the type to go all out on a U.S. show in front of 700 people, even if it's a PPV, but who knows.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:06 pm

You could do Suzuki and Castle, if we're assuming Suzuki might want an easy night. Draw out the entrances, then play off the characters. Castle either looks tough for hanging with Suzuki, or you use that as a turning point for him to get serious before going after the title.

Aside from that, Jay and/or Mark probably make most sense.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm

cbacon87 wrote:You could do Suzuki and Castle, if we're assuming Suzuki might want an easy night. Draw out the entrances, then play off the characters. Castle either looks tough for hanging with Suzuki, or you use that as a turning point for him to get serious before going after the title.

Aside from that, Jay and/or Mark probably make most sense.
You could probably do a similar dynamic with Castle as Suzuki had with Juice Robinson. Not a perfect comparison, but I think there's enough there that it could be very good.

I'd prefer Jay though. That would be something.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am

You could do Suzuki vs. The Last Real Man Silas Young if you want to do a battle of grumpy bastards. I think I'd actually be pretty into that.

The thing with Suzuki coming over is he presumably won't have any of his Suzukigun minions with him, so whatever match he winds up having could actually be one of his best of the year since he may be forced to actually wrestle rather than just stand around while Taichi or whoever hits his opponent with a chair.

gbogard

Post by gbogard » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 pm

I like Suzuki vs. Jay Briscoe. What about Suzuki vs. Bully Ray? Wonder if Bully would try and get over on Suzuki.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:40 pm

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=13315&page=2

Ten years ago today, the show that rejuvenated my love of wrestling. Probably the best one-two main event punch with Morishima/Danielson and Briscoes/Steenerico. The former is one of my favorite matches I've seen live and I wrote this little under two years ago about it:

"I was on the verge of giving up on pro wrestling following the Benoit incident. Given that I would be getting married at summer's end, just got a good job and was trying to get a screenplay completed, it was probably an ideal time to end my 20+ years of fandom. Having just gotten into ROH about a year before, and with my then fiancee already out of town getting ready for our wedding, I ended up going to this show more out of boredom than any great passion.

Watching this match was probably the single best live wrestling experience I have had, before or since. At various moments, I truly believed that Danielson would win the title back and I don't think I was alone. This match also shattered any doubt that the WWE concept of being a certain size to be a star was nonsense. Danielson had the whole crowd in the palm of his hand and Morishima was an amazing monster he just couldn't tame.

I wouldn't see this was the best match I've seen live (Probably second to Generico/Steen at Final Battle '10), but in terms of an overall experience and importance to keeping me a fan, this was it."

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:25 pm

A Decade Ago: The 2007 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Match of the Year

https://cattlemutilationnet.wordpress.c ... -the-year/

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:51 pm

supersonic wrote:A Decade Ago: The 2007 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Match of the Year

This really drives home the sadness of both Danielson and Morishima both having to walk away with much left to do (Danielson) or never having fully reached their potential (Morishima).

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Yeah, if it wasn't for ROH I would have never gotten hooked on what Morishima brought to the table. Agile, strong and vicious when provoked he really could have become the next standard bearer in NOAH. Such a shame really.

As for Danielson, I don't think his story is over quite yet.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Josh Woods is not too bad.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:11 pm

mlev76 wrote:
supersonic wrote:A Decade Ago: The 2007 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Match of the Year

This really drives home the sadness of both Danielson and Morishima both having to walk away with much left to do (Danielson) or never having fully reached their potential (Morishima).
Most fans just wasn't gonna stick around for Morishima anyway. They wanted Misawa, Kobashi, Taue and the main event style exactly the same. Noah was eventually planning to tone down their style which they did. And then the promotion crumbled with debt when all the things people liked was removed.

Those fans left forever.

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

First two matches for the DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR PPV next month have been announced:

Minoru Suzuki vs Cody (c) for ROH World Championship

Kenny King vs KUSHIDA (c) for ROH World TV Championship

Honestly, I would love to see Cody drop the title to Suzuki but it won't happen. Suzuki will do the heavy lifting in this match which I'm sure won't go more than 20 minutes.

This week's ROH TV was pretty good. Have a feeling the ending of the MCMG/Bucks main event is leading to a 3 or 4 way (if you add War Machine) gimmick match at the PPV.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:57 pm

I'm imaging a lot of Bullet Club interference in that main event :/

Rottenrocker

Post by Rottenrocker » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:08 pm

ErinQuinn wrote:I'm imaging a lot of Bullet Club interference in that main event :/
Oh yeah, can only imagine what shenanigans they'll pull. Now if Suzuki brought over his Suzuki-gun stablemates. It would be an absolute car crash of a main event.

Actually, that would be pretty awesome.