Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
syxxpakk

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by syxxpakk » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Is Mike Mondo an underrated talent in ROH history?

I've always been of the opinion that he tried really hard and gave 110% in each match, but he just wasn't that good. I based that off TV and PPV showings.

Watching some 2012 DVDs though. Yesterday was Battle of Richmond and today The Nightmare Begins. Both DVDs have some incredibly strong outings, one against Lethal and the other Richards. I know it's not hard to have good matches with those two, but during course of them he absolutely held his own with them.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 pm

5/7/17 - WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR - TORONTO, ON

SIX MAN MAIN EVENT
“THE CLEANER” KENNY OMEGA & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. ROH WORLD CHAMPION CHRISTOPHER DANIELS, KAZARIAN, & HIROSHI TANAHASHI

JAY LETHAL vs. KUSHIDA

“THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. “THE AERIAL ASSASIN” WILL OSPREAY

THE KINGDOM (MATT TAVEN & VINNY MARSEGLIA) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)

NON-TITLE
HIROOKI GOTO vs. SHANE TAYLOR

CHAOS (GEDO & ROPPONGI VICE (BERETTA & ROCKY ROMERO)) vs. DALTON CASTLE & THE BOYS

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPION BULLY RAY vs. PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ vs. HANGMAN PAGE

TRIPLE THREAT TAG TEAM MATCH
ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (EVIL & SANADA) vs. SILAS YOUNG & BEER CITY BRUISER

THE REBELLION (CAPRICE COLEMAN & RHETT TITUS) vs. MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS (ALEX SHELLEY & CHRIS SABIN)

5/10/17 - WAR OF THE WORLDS TOUR - DEARBORN, MI

MAIN EVENT
ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD CHAMPION “ALMIGHTY” CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. MATT TAVEN

BULLET CLUB (CODY, HANGMAN PAGE, & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS) vs. CHAOS (WILL OSPREAY, HIROOKI GOTO & ROPPONGI VICE)

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS BULLY RAY & THE BRISCOES (JAY & MARK) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (BUSHI, EVIL, & SANADA)

NON-TITLE GRUDGE MATCH
IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO vs. PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ

KUSHIDA vs. “PRO WRESTLING’S LAST REAL MAN” SILAS YOUNG

NON-TITLE
IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE (RAY ROWE & WARBEARD HANSON) vs. JAY LETHAL & HIROSHI TANAHASHI

SEARCH AND DESTROY (JAY WHITE & THE MOTOR CITY MACHINE GUNS) vs. THE REBELLION (RHETT TITUS, CAPRICE COLEMAN, & SHANE TAYLOR)

PROVING GROUND INSTANT REWARD 6-MAN MAYHEM – ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION MARTY SCURLL vs. “THE HEAVY METAL REBEL” FRANKIE KAZARIAN vs. WILL FERRARA vs. BEER CITY BRUISER vs. GEDO vs. CHEESEBURGER

BOBBY FISH vs. DALTON CASTLE

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Wed May 03, 2017 10:05 pm

5/12/17 - WAR OF THE WORLDS PPV - NYC

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
CHRISTOPHER DANIELS vs. “THE AMERICAN NIGHTMARE” CODY vs. JAY LETHAL

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPION “THE VILLAIN” MARTY SCURLL (if champion) vs. “REBORN” MATT SYDAL

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE YOUNG BUCKS (MATT & NICK JACKSON) vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (IWGP INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION TETSUYA NAITO & BUSHI)

ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
CHAOS (HIROOKI GOTO & ROPPONGI VICE) vs. ROH WORLD SIX MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS BULLY RAY & THE BRISCOES (if champions)

HIROSHI TANAHASHI vs. ADAM COLE

WILL OSPREAY vs. JAY WHITE

TRIPLE THREAT – NON TITLE
IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS WAR MACHINE vs. LOS INGOBERNABLES DE JAPON (EVIL & SANADA) vs. SEARCH AND DESTROY (JONATHAN GRESHAM & CHRIS SABIN w/ALEX SHELLEY)

“THE HEAVY METAL REBEL” FRANKIE KAZARIAN vs. HANGMAN PAGE

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH
KUSHIDA vs. DALTON CASTLE w/THE BOYS vs. BOBBY FISH vs. SILAS YOUNG

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

To touch more on the UNAUTHORIZED show in Milwaukee. I was also there. It was very fun live. Marty Scurll's finger break spot is legitmately nasty. The 6 man with Bully was amazing live, but maybe not so much on tape. And I loved Bucks/Addiction. Had it at ****3/4. Both those teams are just great. Also, to confirm on Frank's point, Sienna from the WOH dark match was 17 (people near me knew).

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri May 05, 2017 7:39 pm

Observer:
Regarding the Sinclair purchase of the Tribune TV stations, which in theory would give ROH syndication in some of the biggest markets, FOX and Blackstone Group LP have put in a bid to Tribune to purchase the stations. The FCC has changed regulations that were in place from previous administrations trying to prevent giant media conglomerates from controlling so much of the market. The old regulation is that no conglomerate could have stations in more than 39 percent of the homes in the country. To get around that, they are now counting UHF stations as half, so if you have a UHF station in a 2 million person market, it now counts as 1 million
On the 4/29 show in Hopkins, MN, which was the day before his contract expired, Adam Cole lost to Matt Taven. He was in the ring and milked the crowd chanting “Thank You Adam” and it came across like this was his farewell. Cole got a sendoff and left to a standing ovation. Cole hasn’t officially said anything, but he wasn’t going to say anything if he’s going to WWE because nobody is allowed to say anything publicly on that. Cole is booked on the upcoming War of the Worlds tour and as of this week, those were not scheduled to be his final shows with the company. But the strong hint is also that his 5/19 PWG show will be his last with that company and the show is being called “Cole.” WWE has been hot after Cole to be a top star in the NXT brand for a long time, a deal that’s been held up by his ROH contract. While there is nothing official, now that he is a free agent, he may be joining the group potentially waiting on WWE to make official offers to ex-ROH guys after WWE backed off on everyone. While the expectation has been Cole to NXT when his contract expires for some time, both Impact and New Japan have also made offers for him. I would think he’d need a new name in WWE because of Michael Cole, but you never know, because they didn’t give Eric Young a new name because of Renee Young and Darren Young

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:27 am

The Tribune deal would be a relative game changer in terms of availability of ROH in many major markets where it currently has no penetration:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/07/busi ... .html?_r=0

This includes NY, Philly, LA and Chicago. It will be interesting to see if they are forced to downsize some of their markets due to regulations.

wac

Post by wac » Mon May 08, 2017 1:17 am

Grammarian wrote:
TGD287 wrote:Is Omega's VISA status resolved anyway?
He seemed a little bit evasive when asked about that a few months ago by Dave and Bryan, but seemed to say there's no problem with him working in the U.S. He said he wanted to do more in ROH this year as well.

This whole Omega visa situation feels fishy to me. He hasn't wrestled in the US since the TV taping after the ROH 14th Anniversary Show last February. He got pulled from ROH and replaced by KUSHIDA that March because of some vague visa issues, he only worked the Toronto WOTW show last year, and now his visa for a May show "didn't come through in time" for a tour that was announced in January? He never gave a straight answer about it on Observer radio, and while people have assured me that it's not a Speedball-type situation, no one seems to have a straight answer on what the situation.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 am

I do think it's telling that he hasn't been making the odd PWG appearance or any ROH shows stateside for the last couple of years, especially as his name value continued to rise.

He has personally promoted the Long Beach shows and has been on the promotional graphics, etc. I expect him to work those shows, but I can't honestly say that I feel 100 percent sure.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:16 pm

I will go out on a limb and guess New Japan did not want to pay for his visa for the May shows and ROH chose not to for whatever reason. It would be interesting to know if NJ didn't think it was worth spending the money on him because he was Gaijin and might not help promote them stateside for people who weren't already fans. It could also be the opposite in that ROH didn't feel like paying for non-Japanese talent and they're covering the costs of the other visas.

Unless there is personal animus between the parties (which would be weird given he did work last night's show), it simply comes down to $ and who wanted to spend the money and when.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon May 08, 2017 3:23 pm

Was at ROH War of The World's Toronto show last night. Really fun show. Weakest match was probabbly the three way singles match but fans were super into Bully Ray but at worse both were solid. Elite were the most over thing in the building. Omega's line was absolutely INSANE. Pretty much around half the hockey rink. I would highly recommend Lethal/Kushida and The Elite/Addiction Ace tag match both matches were great. Ospreay/Cody and Three way tag were very good in their own right as well (especially the finishing stretch in the tag match).

For those going to the other shows beyond the regular ROH merch and NJPW lionmark t-shirt. Kushida is selling Time Splitter T-shirts and Bushi is selling masks.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon May 08, 2017 3:32 pm

The Tribune deal if it goes through will be huge. Sinclair is already big but this gives them some great markets for their TV. Maybe even puts them on WGN America.

Look, what Sinclair thinks politically is something that I don't bother with. It's really how I approach any company. I didn't stop eating at Chick Fil-A because I don't agree with the one guy's opinion on marriage. If you really break down what you enjoy by how they agree with you politically, I just don't want to get into that end of things. It didn't work for Elaine in that episode of Seinfeld about abortion rights and I just keep away from that. But I don't blame someone if that does bother them. It all comes down to the person and how they feel themselves.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:43 pm

Mike wrote:The Tribune deal if it goes through will be huge. Sinclair is already big but this gives them some great markets for their TV. Maybe even puts them on WGN America.

Look, what Sinclair thinks politically is something that I don't bother with. It's really how I approach any company. I didn't stop eating at Chick Fil-A because I don't agree with the one guy's opinion on marriage. If you really break down what you enjoy by how they agree with you politically, I just don't want to get into that end of things. It didn't work for Elaine in that episode of Seinfeld about abortion rights and I just keep away from that. But I don't blame someone if that does bother them. It all comes down to the person and how they feel themselves.
If I did that, I'd basically have to cut all US based wrestling out entirely.

rovert

Post by rovert » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I expect better from you guys. I've said it repeatedly. There's no VISA issue.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon May 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Zero buzz for last night starring Tanahashi, Goto, Elie, and Kushida.