Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
FootOnTheRopes

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 pm

rovert wrote:
Mike wrote:I think the fact that they brought out the old ROH belt is something that was so cool. It was a nice nod to the fans who were around at the beginning by a company that does not embrace their history as much as they should besides "Hey you know that guy! He used to wrestle for us!" type stuff.

And it does also seem that this PPV was a much needed shot of positivity for ROH too. I don't have a problem with a lot of the criticism or the critics behind it. But there's just times where, man, it seems like they are just such a punching bag for people that it comes off petty sometimes. I'm glad this weekend went mostly well for them.
The PPV was awesome. The quality of the house shows haven't dipped either. But a lot of that is owed talents on loan or aging guest stars. The weaker TV shows, the current TPT and whatever Future of Honor is the ratchets up people's/my anxiety towards the state of the core roster.
The roster is certainly weak overall and it's concerning but considering ROH's attitude towards other companies, as well as talent feeling they can be better off elsewhere there isn't much that can be do considering that changes up top aren't likely and with WWE opening's it's doors to pretty much anyone now workers fill just feel that leap of faith could be worth it. If there is another cruiserweight tournament this year it will be interesting to see who is in that and who isn't and how they feel afterwards.

ROH may have to go through an even tougher experience than last year despite how well it turned out in the end or it maybe able to get just get by with outsourced talent say like Smith JNR while it increases slowly increases it's stock from other areas, the talent is there it's just up to ROH to make the right offers and get the right guys.

gbogard

Post by gbogard » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:19 pm

The 15th Anniversary show was a great show to attend live, much better than the 2 shows last year with the NJPW guys. I was originally disappointed the NJPW guys wouldn't be there but ended up not missing them. The line to take pics with the Hardys was huge, much bigger than for any NJPW guy. Much hotter crowd then the last 2 ppv's too.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:04 pm

New Japan wants promote their LA shows during the ROH/NJPW shows in May. Which will be interesting politically, presentation wise and confusion in the marketplace wise.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:31 pm

FilipPejic wrote:From the most recent Wrestling Observer Radio.

And I quote:

TNA or Impact is threatening anyone that uses the Hardys gimmick with a lawsuit and it actually ended up where the Dish Network cancelled the Ring of Honor PPV. [...] DirecTV and the cable companies aired the PPV, the Dish Network cancelled the PPV because of the legal letter sent by TNA.

Edit: Alvarez makes a good point that since TNA sent the letter to all ROH's PPV providers, ROH could've been screwed out of having the show on PPV if more providers had decided to pull the show as well.

Thoughts
This comes across as a clear desire to get sued back by Sinclair. There are ways to enforce intellectual property rights-and this isn't a wise one.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Just finished up the show and it was probably from a match quality perspective the best NA show of the year thus far. No bad matches and four matches that were 4+ stars in my opinion. The Daniels moment at the end made this feel special in a very real way which I felt was missing when O'Reilly won the belt in NY.

A few notes:

1) Somehow, some way, they have to lock Marty Scurll down and put the belt on him. He is clearly the guy best suited to build around on the current roster if they can get him to stay in some full time capacity. I would have said similar things about Rush, but I guess he's already gone which is just ridiculous.

2) The Hardys and Bully Ray were used quite well. Both let others in their matches shine and brought potential non-hardcore ROH eyes to the show. That is precisely how ROH can capitalize on people like them.

3) I would be fine with an Ian/Colt announce team. Really don't see why they had Kelly as there was an overlap between what he said and what the other two said.

4) The Omega/Cole match idea would've added some much needed specialness to the Lakeland show. As it is now, I really don't feel like they've done much to make this a special show. With so much competition, this seems like a huge mistake.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:41 pm

they really need to make omega vs cole before adam leaves the company.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:49 pm

monster mafia wrote:they really need to make omega vs cole before adam leaves the company.

I thought Cole was done around Mania, but I could be wrong. If it isn't that weekend, they have a couple of more April shows and then the NJ joint shows in May.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Is Omega's VISA status resolved anyway?

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:47 pm

monster mafia wrote:they really need to make omega vs cole before adam leaves the company.
They aren't booking the Cole/Omega angle neither is New Japan apparently. According to Cole on Wrestling Observer Live it is all improv from Cole and Omega.
mlev76 wrote:

I thought Cole was done around Mania, but I could be wrong. If it isn't that weekend, they have a couple of more April shows and then the NJ joint shows in May.
His contract is up May 1st.

If there's anyone will do respectful business out the door it is Cole. He could work dates after that point.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 pm

TGD287 wrote:Is Omega's VISA status resolved anyway?
He seemed a little bit evasive when asked about that a few months ago by Dave and Bryan, but seemed to say there's no problem with him working in the U.S. He said he wanted to do more in ROH this year as well.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 pm

well,they tease something in the last tv tapings with cole/bucks/omega..i hope cole can work wotw tour in a sort of farewell tour

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 pm

Saturday might be an indication on how long Cole is sticking around. As this could be his last PWG show:

If Nakamura gets called up after Wrestlemania and I believe he will they need an Adam Cole ASAP.

But all this is very much wait and see

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 am

So since Adam Cole's contract is up on May 1st, I'm guessing the live events in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on 4/28 and Hopkins, Minnesota on 4/29 will be his last official dates with the company.

Part of me is hoping that Adam Cole works the WOTW Tour in May before leaving. Obviously he has no obligation to, since is deal is up on May 1st, but I think it'd be cool if he finished up on those shows. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not counting on it.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Personally, it would mean a lot for me as a supporter of his for Cole's last match to be at the ECW Arena. It would be the TV tapings on Sunday to close out the New Japan shows. When CZW still had the school there, it's where he trained. It's where he debuted on the Chris Ca$h show. I don't think this is lost on him either, so I wonder if he may choose to stick around for this reason.

It would also provide an outlet for an angle on television for a sendoff too, which is something they should do for him and the fans.

stevenkmason

Post by stevenkmason » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Mike wrote:Personally, it would mean a lot for me as a supporter of his for Cole's last match to be at the ECW Arena. It would be the TV tapings on Sunday to close out the New Japan shows. When CZW still had the school there, it's where he trained. It's where he debuted on the Chris Ca$h show. I don't think this is lost on him either, so I wonder if he may choose to stick around for this reason.

It would also provide an outlet for an angle on television for a sendoff too, which is something they should do for him and the fans.
Agreed 100%! Plus I want to see him one last time in Dearborn. Him vs Omega could headline the WOTW NY PPV. And he really does deserve a 'farewell tour' of sorts and a proper sendoff. Too bad he can't do his last ROH match with KOR.