Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by mlev76 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:04 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Step 1: Have someone come along who can offer good money besides WWE
Step 2: More wrestlers realize this is a business & their dream shouldn't be to take WWE's minimum offer hoping to get a chance to work a WM dark match

Good for the Bucks. That WWE contract offer isn't going anywhere & staying away will only make them want you more. All acts gets big time exposed working WWE regularly which is why the hottest acts right now will always be the part-timers. Bucks are making good money in two companies working a reasonable schedule & sell a ton of merch on their own. The WWE machine offers nothing for them right now and is still going to be around down the line whereas who knows where ROH will be a year or two.

It's too bad most talented guys who come up in the indies don't have any sort of business sense and run the first time they get that phone call & ticket to Florida. Money is money but thinking a little long term goes a long way. Guys like the Bucks succeeding on their own should be a lesson & learning tool for future wrestlers. Having alternative ways to get paid in this business is the key to your career even if your end goal is WWE.
Very few acts out there have the options the Bucks have. It's not just that they are making good money in two companies; they are key parts of both rosters and you could make the argument that the Bucks are easily the top act in ROH right now. So, for them, they have the talent, the business smarts and the options to not take an offer from WWE.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:44 pm

The Bucks started from nowhere. The same place all indy guys start from. They made themselves into what they are today which has them in a position to leverage offers. Like you said - they knew they were talented & more importantly knew how to market themselves. Good examples for future wrestlers.

Everyone has the option to not take a WWE offer. AJ Styles turned down a lowball WWE offer only a couple years ago & I would certainly argue with anyone that not only helped his earning potential down the line but also ended up getting him to the position where he is now compared to where Vince would have seen him slotted in had he signed back then.

It does nobody any good if WWE just offers the NXT minimum to any new 24 year old who has only been around a year or two and is starting to make a name for himself/herself. I understand there's a difference between hustling doing indy shots for a couple hundred bucks compared to taking in a guaranteed $20K per year for much easier work but if your goal is to make it big & make real money in this business, the WWE being the only game in town to have money to offer helps nobody.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:56 pm

game changer of roh the new deal for the young bucks..slap in the face for triple h, hope more people of the roster can stick around

only one i see that needs to go to nxt is adam cole...he has done almost everything in roh.

maybe one last run as a face and a farewell tour for him.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:57 pm

RobViper13 wrote:The Bucks started from nowhere. The same place all indy guys start from. They made themselves into what they are today which has them in a position to leverage offers. Like you said - they knew they were talented & more importantly knew how to market themselves. Good examples for future wrestlers.

Everyone has the option to not take a WWE offer. AJ Styles turned down a lowball WWE offer only a couple years ago & I would certainly argue with anyone that not only helped his earning potential down the line but also ended up getting him to the position where he is now compared to where Vince would have seen him slotted in had he signed back then.

It does nobody any good if WWE just offers the NXT minimum to any new 24 year old who has only been around a year or two and is starting to make a name for himself/herself. I understand there's a difference between hustling doing indy shots for a couple hundred bucks compared to taking in a guaranteed $20K per year for much easier work but if your goal is to make it big & make real money in this business, the WWE being the only game in town to have money to offer helps nobody.
x2

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Step 1: Have someone come along who can offer good money besides WWE
Step 2: More wrestlers realize this is a business & their dream shouldn't be to take WWE's minimum offer hoping to get a chance to work a WM dark match

Good for the Bucks. That WWE contract offer isn't going anywhere & staying away will only make them want you more. All acts gets big time exposed working WWE regularly which is why the hottest acts right now will always be the part-timers. Bucks are making good money in two companies working a reasonable schedule & sell a ton of merch on their own. The WWE machine offers nothing for them right now and is still going to be around down the line whereas who knows where ROH will be a year or two.

It's too bad most talented guys who come up in the indies don't have any sort of business sense and run the first time they get that phone call & ticket to Florida. Money is money but thinking a little long term goes a long way. Guys like the Bucks succeeding on their own should be a lesson & learning tool for future wrestlers. Having alternative ways to get paid in this business is the key to your career even if your end goal is WWE.
Talented and Young Bucks are a oxymoron.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:22 pm

RobViper13 wrote:The Bucks started from nowhere. The same place all indy guys start from. They made themselves into what they are today which has them in a position to leverage offers. Like you said - they knew they were talented & more importantly knew how to market themselves. Good examples for future wrestlers.

Styles is talented while the Bucks of Youth aren't.
Who's Rob Viper ?

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:32 pm

Those last two posts were really needed....

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:34 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:

Almost everyone else disagrees. WWE disagrees too so your post contributes nothing other than trying to start shit.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:50 am

RobViper13 wrote: Everyone has the option to not take a WWE offer. AJ Styles turned down a lowball WWE offer only a couple years ago & I would certainly argue
This is not true. Plenty of people don't have the talent, confidence in themselves and business smarts that The Bucks and their like have. How many guys on the US Indies and abroad have the ability to earn/potentially earn what they do?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:52 am

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:36 am

mlev76 wrote:
RobViper13 wrote: Everyone has the option to not take a WWE offer. AJ Styles turned down a lowball WWE offer only a couple years ago & I would certainly argue
This is not true. Plenty of people don't have the talent, confidence in themselves and business smarts that The Bucks and their like have. How many guys on the US Indies and abroad have the ability to earn/potentially earn what they do?
My point is in the currently wrestling business wrestlers should have confidence in themselves & not rush to Florida when you are offered your first deal. As soon as you do that you are putting all your future earning potential in WWE's hands. We already know the usual problems with WWE recognizing talent but now it's getting extremely harder to make it there starting at the bottom with the talent pool they have deepening. Whatever happened to Uhaa Nation? He still around making the company minimum with a career going nowhere? What's his leverage to get a raise down the line?

Maybe the best bet these days is to stay away, make yourself into a commodity so you can come in on your terms & not be just random guy pictured in the group of 13 new talent signees. For this to work alternatives need to exist, decently paying alternatives of course.

If there's money to be made outside WWE, everyone benefits except WWE. That's why they are so quick to shut anything down. It's not about destroying a company for the sake of retaining their monopoly or hiring the new hot indy sensation because they see potential in him on their own roster. They do it to protect their own business. If wrestlers can't make money on the outside, WWE controls the salary structure of professional wrestling.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

FootOnTheRopes

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:12 am

If ROH is considering bigger contracts to many others and not just the Bucks then people will look to ROH far more regularly then they have in the past, but if this contract is just a off as the Bucks are the Bucks then it's not really going to change a whole from a lot from bigger business point of view. ROH if it has any legtimate idea of becoming a number two then wrestlers as a whole need to see they can make a good living their if not ROH will always be that highlight of your career but never likely what give you the ability to retire in a pool somewhere at the age of 35.

What I do think could be more important to ROH and wrestling in general (especially if they make a big impact) are the signings of Scurll and Ospreay, if those two are a success then it could and should open more avenues for others across the board and this is something has been hurting ROH and wrestling in general. So far only the WWE has reached out heavily and quickly in those areas of the wrestling world, ROH being a viable and strong option for others will really help.

I think what's more concerning is how many are seemingly taking direction from the WWE about their careers, wrestlers should always strive to make the best career possible no question but to not consider options elsewhere when you are so young into your career is a big mistake in my opinion. LI maybe wrong but Cody seems to be someone who maybe wished he had come the WWE later in life as maybe he would have found more to himself than he realised. One thing is for sure in my mind, Just because you sign for ROH doesn't mean you will never have the option of the WWE, the likely-hood is if you make it in ROH there is probably a higher chance of the WWE looking at you and trying to get you than not.

Overall it will be interesting to see the wrestling world in a year, wether the cruiserweight division is still strong/around, if 205 live has been a success, has Strong made it off of NXT or is Joe still being used as "the guy" because they have no faith in others.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:53 pm

rovert wrote:Those last two posts were really needed....
I thought so.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:

Almost everyone else disagrees. WWE disagrees too so your post contributes nothing other than trying to start shit.
It's my opinion, not allowed to have one? How are spot monkey's like them talented? They have no psychology whatsoever and all they do is rip of a 90's gimmick to sell shirts.
Who's Rob Viper ?

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:18 pm

Can't Buzz just start a separate "let's bury the Young Bucks" thread so the rest of us may continue to positively contribute to the Honorable Ring talk?