Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Leo C

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by Leo C » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:50 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Leo C wrote:I guess if you enjoy spotfests this was the show for you.
Depends on how you define spotfest. Realistically, I could say the six man and the three way were close to what I'd consider a spotfest, but there was enough structure in the former and spectacular work in the latter to excuse any complaints about that.

The top two matches had lots of offense to be sure, but were built well throughout and had good stories (battle of ROH's two best teams ever/the ROH career long story of Cole and O'Reilly) to build upon.
You're right on the Bucks/Briscoes match. It would be expected that the two top teams in ROH would have a match that looked just like that; but that point is kinda null because every Young Bucks match is like this. So it just felt like another one of their matches with a really hot crowd. I wasn't even really counting the main event as far as spotfests (the opener, 6-man tag finals, TV title and tag title match were already too much for me) but it is true that it quickly went from what looked like was going to be a great match when Cole hit him with the belt and Kyle was selling all bloody to them trading hardcore spots. Plus the crowd was already exhausted and that also hurt it a little bit.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Leo C wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Leo C wrote:I guess if you enjoy spotfests this was the show for you.
Depends on how you define spotfest. Realistically, I could say the six man and the three way were close to what I'd consider a spotfest, but there was enough structure in the former and spectacular work in the latter to excuse any complaints about that.

The top two matches had lots of offense to be sure, but were built well throughout and had good stories (battle of ROH's two best teams ever/the ROH career long story of Cole and O'Reilly) to build upon.
You're right on the Bucks/Briscoes match. It would be expected that the two top teams in ROH would have a match that looked just like that; but that point is kinda null because every Young Bucks match is like this. So it just felt like another one of their matches with a really hot crowd. I wasn't even really counting the main event as far as spotfests (the opener, 6-man tag finals, TV title and tag title match were already too much for me) but it is true that it quickly went from what looked like was going to be a great match when Cole hit him with the belt and Kyle was selling all bloody to them trading hardcore spots. Plus the crowd was already exhausted and that also hurt it a little bit.
Yeah, they were in a bad spot because of all that came before it, the mismatched heel/face dynamic and how late it was once it got going. I'll admit to slowly making my way to the exit in the final moments of the match so I could beat the rush and get a ride home.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Great show overall, last 3 matches were excellent and the booking on the show was excellent. Homegrown talent got the win over older wrestler or outsiders, and there were some unexpected moments. Cody turning heel seems like a great idea and the angle was very well done, and who'd expect MATT FREAKIN' HARDY to appear at titantron after the TT match?

Thank God Kyle won, but I hated the crowd.

MCMG & Dijak vs Cabinet: ***

Liger vs Young: ** 1/4

Dalton vs Cabana: ***

Cody vs Lethal: *** 1/4

Kingdom vs Rush & White & Kushida: *** 1/2

3 way: ****

Briscoes vs Bucks: **** 1/4

Cole vs O'Reilly: ****

Overall, two thumbs up, best ROH PPV in a while. Hopefully 2017 will be better for them.

LK3185

Post by LK3185 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:39 pm

wasn't really into the Main event.. I actually like KOR but I've cooled on Cole being a Top guy in ring especiallly.. I was pretty bored watching the match..

Young Bucks vs. The Briscoes was my favorite of the night.

Solid show.

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Thumbs up/solid/etc.

Kyle O'Reilly is a fine worker but works best as an accompaniment to someone in a tag situation. Bobby Fish is 1000x better than Kyle overall and better suited to be World Champ than KOR. I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, though.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:23 pm

syxxpakk

Post by syxxpakk » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:34 pm

f4wonline.com wrote:The Young Bucks, Matt & Nick Jackson, have signed a new two-year contract which covers both Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro Wrestling, to continue on a similar schedule as they did this year.

The deal has a significant increase in money from both companies in both companies for 2017, and another increase in 2018, and will allow them to maintain their own merchandise. They are also going to have more input into creative, as they were the ones who set the wheels in motion for Matt Hardy's video on the show last night.

The Hardys have the contractual ability to do the show, which is scheduled for April 1st in Lakeland, FL, the night before WrestleMania in Orlando, at the Jenkins Arena.

TNA signed off on Matt Hardy's video appearing on the ROH PPV last night at the 11th hour, as well as on Brandi Rhodes being able to appear to introduce her husband.

Contrary to rumors, The Young Bucks will not be on the TNA television show at the Hardys Compound and there is nothing on paper regarding anyone from ROH working for TNA, but the fact TNA was cooperative would theoretically mean a relationship has been opened.

The contracts are exclusive to the U.S. and Japanese market, but it would enable them to do overseas dates that don't coincide with ROH or New Japan bookings. The only exception is they are allowed to continue working PWG dates.
"If I’m Neville or Aries, I definitely give a shit about the take of TJ “Career Trajectory Vanilla Midget” Perkins regarding my burning desire for advancement and steady income." - supersonic

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:47 pm

rovert wrote:
Well to be honest it's awesome. Looks like O'Reilly and bucks are staying and with hardys coming, and scurll and ospreay they really set my expectations high for 2017. Also after hearing this reaction in hammerstein, unless he's going to steal the show every night or start to cut the promos of his life each time, i'm afraid that after a 3 month babyface reign he's going to get an elgin treatment (and kor might be my favorite wrestler). I mean he's really a diffrent champion compared to the ones for the last 2-4 years (briscoe, lethal, cole, steen with the exception of elgin). All of those guys were great promos, who were more of a typical wrestlers with some ridiculous spots. Most of o'reilly's moves are none of that and he isn't even close, when it comes to talking (although I really liked his backstage promos, because they are in the same category as bryan's, which is that they are honest and nice people). Since Kyle finally got the title we can start the DALTON FOR CHAMP campaign.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 pm

rovert wrote:Thumbs up PPV outside Silas/Liger not being up to par and the greenness of the Kingdom.
lol

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 am

ROH sold a bunch of tix for Philadelphia since last week at this time when they announced Ospreay and Marty.

Going by the first five rows for each section, all first row was sold and most of second, but lots of 3rd row and beyond. Since then-
West has 12 seats left between 3rd to 5th row
North has 2 seats left for 5th row
East has 8 seats left between 3rd and 4th row and 11 5th row seats
South has 20 seats left between the 4th and 5th row

It's still going to be a tough draw with a Sunday night show, but it's looking way brighter than it did last week.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:44 am

good news about the bucks, great they can have more input into creative,

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:39 am

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:30 am

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Step 1: Have someone come along who can offer good money besides WWE
Step 2: More wrestlers realize this is a business & their dream shouldn't be to take WWE's minimum offer hoping to get a chance to work a WM dark match

Good for the Bucks. That WWE contract offer isn't going anywhere & staying away will only make them want you more. All acts gets big time exposed working WWE regularly which is why the hottest acts right now will always be the part-timers. Bucks are making good money in two companies working a reasonable schedule & sell a ton of merch on their own. The WWE machine offers nothing for them right now and is still going to be around down the line whereas who knows where ROH will be a year or two.

It's too bad most talented guys who come up in the indies don't have any sort of business sense and run the first time they get that phone call & ticket to Florida. Money is money but thinking a little long term goes a long way. Guys like the Bucks succeeding on their own should be a lesson & learning tool for future wrestlers. Having alternative ways to get paid in this business is the key to your career even if your end goal is WWE.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:54 pm

So was ROH still working with NOAH between 2012 and 2014? I'm trying to figure out why NJPW settled for NWA at first.