WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 - October 30, 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: WWE Hell in a Cell 2016 - October 30, 2016

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:52 pm

itsberlo wrote:Something I have not heard much about was the sheer dominance Reigns had over Rusev in that feud. Rusev did not beat Reigns once on TV or PPV. NOT ONCE! Not to mention Reigns powered out of the Accolade WITH A CHAIN WRAPPED AROUND HIS FACE. Now I will say I do not think this feud will kill Rusev, mostly because he is so good at what he does, but I do have to question if this feud rehabbed Reigns. I do not think it did but you can bet your bottom dollar the machine won't stop until everyone realizes that Roman is a star, dammit!

So who's next to be sacrificed to the all mighty Reigns? It's a shame there isn't someone super over that Reigns can associate himself with. Maybe he can go down during the Goldberg/Brock match and just beat both of them down.
Yet I still see people argue that Reigns doesn't consistently receive an insanely strong push.

I have no idea what company they watch.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm

What a weird, but yet typical WWE show. Good and sometimes great wrestling, but terrible finishes drag the show down.

UV title match was MOTN, this would be a **** 1/4 - **** 1/2 level match if it wasn't for the Jericho interference and anticlimatic ending. But I gave it **** anyway, great stuff.

Women's match was...it was weird. I hated the stretcher spot. Sasha can't fucking move because of her bad back, but then returns to the ring and dominates the match, as if everything is ok. At least she sold it at the end. But the ending was awful, and Sasha losing in Boston is such a weird move. Did they expect Charlotte to get massive heat for beating her or what? It was just an awkward silence.

TJP/Kendrick got NO REACTION at all. This is just scary. If Tozawa, Gallagher and Swann (when pushed properly) won't get over in front of that crowd, no one from this division will. But I think everyone expected this project to fail.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:05 pm

poor tozawa.

AdamTH17

Post by AdamTH17 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:31 pm

Decent enough card for what it was.

Did appreciate how the three cell matches had their own different dynamics, rather than them all just overlapping into one another. Reigns/Rusev was your old-school big lads beating each other up, KO/Rollins had the 2 on 1 element, and with Sasha/Charlotte you had the pre-match shenanigans meaning Sasha had to work from underneath. Gave them an identity, at the very least.

Rusev/Reigns was solid. Suffered from the usual problem plaguing cell matches in recent years, that issue being it just felt like a no disqualifications match within a cage. You can put most of the blame for that onto the writers, but still. They just did every single spot we've seen in every hardcore match for the last five years. Whip each other into the stairs? Check. Smack each other with said stairs? Check. Kendo stick shots to the body? Check. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfectly good match, but they never reached the intensity or physicality they were going for. Blame that on the build, or the match itself, but they didn't reach the potential they could have done. Finish made Rusev look a bit wank as well. Two accolades, including one chain-assisted, on top of a few of his big kicks, and it takes one spear to put him down? Oh well, I like both guys enough so no huge problems with this.

Skipped Bayley/Dana and The Club vs Enzo and Cass. Don't feel like I missed anything in doing so.

Rollins/Owens was another good match, but there was still nothing really to it until the closing stretches. Owens can't win a match on his own and Rollins is in the "face whom never does anything that a typical good person would do" role. They still managed a good match though, as two workers of their caliber should be expected to, containing all the smooth transitions and sequences we've seen them produce 1000 times before. Think it picked up somewhat upon Jericho coming out. A creative way of getting rid of the referee, Rollins getting some good babyface pops in taking out both guys, Jericho planting the seeds for a feud with Rollins, and then Owens looking like a killer by smashing Rollins through some chairs. Good match, and probably MOTN.

TJP/TBK was a nice surprise. They got the story across well, that TJ was younger, quicker, and generally better, yet Brian had the ring awareness, and experience to catch him out in the early goings. Sadly, they didn't really do anything you couldn't find in your typical RAW midcard match, and thus the crowd didn't care, which is a real shame because what they DID do was good. It was moreso based on what they DIDN'T do that killed any chance of the crowd being invested. I'd argue Brian is a poor choice for champion at this stage. They haven't gotten his story from the CWC nearly as over on the main roster, meaning the majority of the live audience won't be seeing him as anything more than "old lad who wants to win" - maybe not what you want from the leader of your new division. Enjoyed the ending though, despite how daft it made TJP and the announce team look. Good stuff here, hopefully we get a new challenger for the belt.

New Day do nothing for me these days, so was firmly rooting for a Sheamus/Cesaro win. Are New Day heel or face? They do nothing but pander to the crowd, but do nothing to retain their titles cleanly. Maybe they're going for the whole tweener gimmick, but if so, it's died a tremendous death. Again, the in-ring work was solid, and the crowd was hot for Sheamus/Cesaro, which was really good to see. Just a shame that nothings going to change in the tag division until the New Day break the record, meaning we're just meandering around pointlessly for the next few months.

I really wanted to like the main event. Truly, I did. They started off well, the pre-match attack from Charlotte looked really good, and got the crowd hot for the match. Then the rest of it happened. Sasha sells like death for 5 minutes, stretcher, EMT's, the whole lot. 60 seconds later, she's bouncing around the ring and delivering dives to the outside like nothing ever happened. Charlotte constantly works over Sasha's back, and she doesn't sell a single thing. Her back isn't an issue when she's doing triple suicide dives. It's not an issue when she's doing the three amigo's, nor is it an issue when she's flying around the ring doing a bunch of head scissors. The only time she really sold, was simply because the ending called for her to do so. Maybe I'm being too harsh on her, but it really took me out of the match at points, seeing all of Charlotte's good offence made completely meaningless up until the last 30 seconds. On a more positive note, this was the only cell match out of the three that they made feel as though it warranted the stipulation. They did a good job getting over the rivalry between the two, and the in-ring work reflected so. Charlotte was really good, apart from that shitty table bump, I thought. Her crowd work, her offence, her selling of Sasha not staying down, and her reaction to winning was all top notch.

All in all, a decent little show. We got some good matches, storyline progression, new feuds were put into place and we got to witness a significant milestone match take place. Good job.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:55 pm

ODonnell wrote:I fucking hated the finish to the women's match, but I do see a little bit of a positive.

And its that they have come to grips with Dana's inability to wrestle/be a pushed wrestler. Last night was them going "holy shit, we're in the process of ruining Bayley, she needs to go into a program with Charlotte immediately"

I assume they think Sasha is made, so she can take the loss and go beat Nia in a program, while Charlotte battles Bayley for the title. I dont hate that, but I dont like the way they got there at all.
None of these women are really "made" yet if the goal is to get them to be legit main eventers...

With that said...Sasha will never be a legit main eventer at least as a babyface. She is made for the tweener role, IMO. Her offense looks better when she is able to cheat a lil bit and she can cut corners to get a reaction instead of getting thrown around or being a base where she's going to get her ass kicked regularly and be an annual trip to the DL.

The real money is in Bayley any way. Bayley versus Sasha is a nice match on the main stage, but the money is in Bayley usurping Charlotte Flair.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:21 pm

Pretty terrible show. It's the classic WWE status quo - one or two matches really deliver on match quality, but presentation of the product is so poor that it just sucks the fun out of the entire enterprise.

I was going to skip this entirely but made a last minute call to watch. Bad call! I've got an interest in the Smackdown stuff, but otherwise I just need to only watch WWE after the fact when people can tell me what was worth it.

And even then the individual segments usually have their own bullshit, like the Jericho stuff in the Owens match.

Just one of those disappointing, exhausting WWE affairs.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 am

Danwaka wrote:
mlev76 wrote:I'm not sure if its so much that he gets off on it than it is his philosophy to avoid manufactured pops beyond the actual overness of a character due to the hometown connection.

There's this Samoan gentleman in the company who has received every possible manufactured pop he can be given that might dispel that theory.
He gets booed and jeered. That is not what I mean.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 am

itsberlo wrote:Something I have not heard much about was the sheer dominance Reigns had over Rusev in that feud. Rusev did not beat Reigns once on TV or PPV. NOT ONCE! Not to mention Reigns powered out of the Accolade WITH A CHAIN WRAPPED AROUND HIS FACE. Now I will say I do not think this feud will kill Rusev, mostly because he is so good at what he does, but I do have to question if this feud rehabbed Reigns. I do not think it did but you can bet your bottom dollar the machine won't stop until everyone realizes that Roman is a star, dammit!

So who's next to be sacrificed to the all mighty Reigns? It's a shame there isn't someone super over that Reigns can associate himself with. Maybe he can go down during the Goldberg/Brock match and just beat both of them down.
It seems I liked this match more than anyone I've seen discuss it, but I doubt very much has changed for either guy. Roman is where he is on the card-hovering near the top and likely heading back up at the right time. Depending on what the future holds for Owens, it would not shock me to Reigns get into the title picture at Rumble or even Road Block.

Rusev is also where he will likely alway be-a solid upper midcarder who the faces who need the juice can get a good feud out of at a whim but who they may never get past this point on Raw. Maybe trading him to Smackdown might get him past that point.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 am

monster mafia wrote:why you post the photos over and over again?
It's called providing an update in visual fashion. I await the next trivial thing Rovert or I do that you bitch about for no legitimate reason.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am

BoxingRobes wrote:
None of these women are really "made" yet if the goal is to get them to be legit main eventers...

With that said...Sasha will never be a legit main eventer at least as a babyface. She is made for the tweener role, IMO. Her offense looks better when she is able to cheat a lil bit and she can cut corners to get a reaction instead of getting thrown around or being a base where she's going to get her ass kicked regularly and be an annual trip to the DL.

The real money is in Bayley any way. Bayley versus Sasha is a nice match on the main stage, but the money is in Bayley usurping Charlotte Flair.
Charlotte is clearly a "made" person as far as the upper brass of WWE is concerned. They clearly see her as the focal point of the division and I wouldn't expect here to drift far from that spot without a major injury or fuck up. I agree that the money is in Bayley and Banks has been horribly miscast as a face.

People rag on the Raw women's division because Smackdown has gotten much more out of much less, but it's hard to not like a division with those 3 plus Emma. If Jax ever gets to the next level, that's going to be a murderer's row of talent.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:07 pm

She's made in the sense she's the top woman as a heel, but I think it was clear she and Sasha aren't main eventers as women.

Charlotte wasn't trascendant in NXT...it was Bayley...as a face, she can deliver. I'm not sure Charlotte is a worthy foil though. Sasha was, but she's kind of damaged goods on the main roster.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:26 pm

Charlotte being "made" is exactly why Sasha needed a signature win at Mania or HIAC

now Sasha and Bayley have the same story, and that only works for Bayley. Sasha has held the title twice and never defended it, been called injury prone, etc.

and now they've rebooted Bayley again as "new person who can't hang" when she's already gotten pinfalls on Battleground and RAW.

The streak doesn't work unless someone who isn't part of the streak breaks it to be made a star, and both Sasha and Bayley are part of that.