Is the CWC the greatest thing the WWE has ever done?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Is the CWC the greatest thing the WWE has ever done?

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:52 am

Very serious question.

In my humble opinion, the WWE has never put done anything that has better represented what wrestling is, than the CWC. An absolutely flawless gift to wrestling fans from start to finish. A legitimate star making tournament that not only made TWO brand new stars of a company's new division, but gave the company 32 wrestlers to litter throughout a roster with built in cache at all levels. EVERYONE was better off for being involved in the tournament.

Absolutely great matches throughout the entire tournament. Wonderful storylines. Memorable moments.

A love letter to the sport.

Rottenrocker

Re: Is the CWC the greatest thing the WWE has ever done?

Post by Rottenrocker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:03 am

The true test is how they treat the new division on RAW going forward. It needs to be presented like the CWC and not made into X-Divison filler.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:47 am

I think you have an argument for it, to be sure.

No matter how good WWE is in a moment, it's usually a match or PPV diluted in an ocean of TV. But more then that only feuds, or perhaps careers, can have beginnings and ends.

In the CWC the WWE allows itself undiluted, pure-strain wrestling quality with a discreet start and end. It doesn't have to fill space, it doesn't have to milk its own successes into angles spun off into eternity. It may be their greatest success just by finding the most perfect format for the artform.

It FEELS like a "greatest thing" for sure, at least of something.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:01 am

It's my favorite thing that they've ever done, and will be fascinating to watch 10 years from now.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:21 am

Imagine it a dozen years ago with KENTA, CIMA, Aries, Shelley, Evans, Strong, Danielson, Homicide, Low Ki, Generico, Marufuji, etc.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:04 am

supersonic wrote:Imagine it a dozen years ago with KENTA, CIMA, Aries, Shelley, Evans, Strong, Danielson, Homicide, Low Ki, Generico, Marufuji, etc.
More intrigued about the guys who may have been in it who never ultimately made it big or flat out faded away. Yoshitsune, Jason Blade, Ippei Ota, Laredo Kid. We're all gonna watch CWC in a decade and go "Holy shit, I forgot Kenneth Johnson existed!" and "Who the fuck is Jason Lee?"

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:59 am

Joe Lanza wrote:It's my favorite thing that they've ever done, and will be fascinating to watch 10 years from now.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:00 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
supersonic wrote:Imagine it a dozen years ago with KENTA, CIMA, Aries, Shelley, Evans, Strong, Danielson, Homicide, Low Ki, Generico, Marufuji, etc.
More intrigued about the guys who may have been in it who never ultimately made it big or flat out faded away. Yoshitsune, Jason Blade, Ippei Ota, Laredo Kid. We're all gonna watch CWC in a decade and go "Holy shit, I forgot Kenneth Johnson existed!" and "Who the fuck is Jason Lee?"
"Remember HO HO LOON?!"

FootOnTheRopes

Post by FootOnTheRopes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:07 am

I think it's been great for the WWE and obviously talent themselves primarily but I do think there has to be a caviet that this can only truly be a success if these guys go on to succeed at the highest level within the WWE. The WWE has to enable these guys to have a platform to succeed on the main roster and also test them talents themselves shouldn't be just be happy to in the CWC, a CWC champion or a cruiser-weight champion they have to make sure that they are the next Jericho and move further they have in the past because in all honesty being the main man somewhere else would be better than being a "great match guy" no matter how big the company is, else they will have all just repeated their entire career just on a bigger stage.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:38 am

This is definitely my favourite thing the WWE has ever done & the best wrestling TV show I've seen. Excellent presentation & amazing ensemble of talent.

ManuRomero90

Post by ManuRomero90 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:17 pm

I don´t think the CWC is the best but is the most outside of the WWE box thing they have done that i can remember.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:49 pm

If we are talking "special" events then yes. If we are saying period then that is hard to say with the angle leading up to MITB 2011, Austin vs. McMahon, etc. However this tournament from the production to the commentary to the wrestling was way more than I could hope for from this company and I am excited to see more tournaments like this from them in the future (Women's, Tag and more CWCs).

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Everyone fears that the Cruiserweight division will be given up on and fed to Braun Strowman immediately. I like Sean Ross Sapp's suggestion that a Cruiserweight should be the first person to beat Braun. Make a statement.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:59 pm

I know everyone's opinion is based on the history of this company but I do not see the Cruiserweights being built to feed to Braun at all. I feel the Bo Dallas stuff is for him to be fed to Braun not the Cruiserweights.

God am I really putting faith in this company????

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 pm

I think in Meltzer's BOLA review he mentioned how Brian Kendrick got a massive reaction when he came out, and compared it to when he was last in PWG and no one gave a shit at all.

Kendrick got signed, but there's a ton more people I'm interested in now just based on seeing their matches, or even in some cases one match. (Fabian Eichner anyone?)

This tourney has to be considered a massive success, and I'd be shocked if this isn't an even bigger deal last year. The novelty of it will be gone, but I think now that people know what the tourney is and how seriously its going to be taken, its only going to go up from here. Hopefully they can get Ricochet out of his contract 6 month wait thing by the time this starts next July.