The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Yer forever off the bus for "TripleMania > UltimaLucha"...ain't no comin back from that. The Believers have voted you out of the Temple.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:39 pm

Beyond excited for this. Hopefully we get Pentagon being used a lot better here now that people have seen how over he got during that 1st season.

kcstlchi

Post by kcstlchi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Quentin Moody wrote:Beyond excited for this. Hopefully we get Pentagon being used a lot better here now that people have seen how over he got during that 1st season.
I would expect them to. They have to realize the money match is Muertes vs. Pentagon.

I think people are way too hard on the booking of Pentagon. Everything played into the story of him needing to prove himself to his master. Not to mention that due to the nature of the show and the taping schedule, they have to stick to plans for the most part. It would be very difficult to change everything mid season just because you realize someone is getting over.

There are so many things I can't wait to see play out. Hopefully they can bring most everyone back.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:43 am

kcstlchi wrote:I think people are way too hard on the booking of Pentagon.
This. God forbid someone gets a story different than "I hate you, you screwed me, let's fight".

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:57 pm

This is great news, LU was awesome.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:40 pm

I could honestly do without Rey Rey and Alberto. I understand why they're there, but for me personally, i enjoyed tons of stuff more than Alberto last season. I liked Alberto's stuff too, but i wouldn't have been sad if he wasn't there next season due to budget cuts. To me, the stars are the larger than life personalities like Pentagon, Muertes, Fenix, Drago, SoH, Angelico, Cage etc.

But i'm so happy they'll be back!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:13 pm

kcstlchi wrote:
Quentin Moody wrote:Beyond excited for this. Hopefully we get Pentagon being used a lot better here now that people have seen how over he got during that 1st season.
I would expect them to. They have to realize the money match is Muertes vs. Pentagon.

I think people are way too hard on the booking of Pentagon. Everything played into the story of him needing to prove himself to his master. Not to mention that due to the nature of the show and the taping schedule, they have to stick to plans for the most part. It would be very difficult to change everything mid season just because you realize someone is getting over.

There are so many things I can't wait to see play out. Hopefully they can bring most everyone back.
That's what I said throughout season 1. There was a point where it was clear Sexy Star wasn't clicking and Pentagon was but when you bulk tape everything and write it like a TV show and not a free-flowing TV show you're going to have head scratchers like that. In a perfect wrestling company, yeah, Pentagon would've had a rocket ship strapped to him and would be a focal point. Unfortunately, with this style of a wresting show it just couldn't happen.

I'm confident they right that wrong in S2.

brandonbitw

Post by brandonbitw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 pm

King Muertes' reign begins. The hour cometh.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 am

Mil Muertes v. Pentagon Jr. main eventing Ultima Lucha II.

IT MUST HAPPEN.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:17 pm

I don't see MM having the Pumalike reign.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:46 pm

Chismo wrote:
This. God forbid someone gets a story different than "I hate you, you screwed me, let's fight".
The content, or goal, of Pentagon's booking was never the issue. It was who he was paired with, and how he was made to look by feuding with that person.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:30 pm

BillThompson wrote:
Chismo wrote:
The content, or goal, of Pentagon's booking was never the issue. It was who he was paired with, and how he was made to look by feuding with that person.
But "who he was paired with" was the whole point. He squashed Massaro, Famous B, Argenis, Super Fly etc. All the jobbers. Because you can't do it to Cage, Puma and Alberto. At the end of the day he's a rudo, violent prick who picks on the weak. He got over. As far as Sexy Star thing goes, it wouldn't make sense in CZW, PWG or NXT, but LU is a totally different universe, where superhero women can be just as tough as men. As weak as the match was, at least he won and I don't really know why would anyone spend time thinking about THAT when it wasn't even an endgame and only served as just another plot in his arc.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Chismo wrote:But "who he was paired with" was the whole point. He squashed Massaro, Famous B, Argenis, Super Fly etc. All the jobbers. Because you can't do it to Cage, Puma and Alberto. At the end of the day he's a rudo, violent prick who picks on the weak. He got over. As far as Sexy Star thing goes, it wouldn't make sense in CZW, PWG or NXT, but LU is a totally different universe, where superhero women can be just as tough as men. As weak as the match was, at least he won and I don't really know why would anyone spend time thinking about THAT when it wasn't even an endgame and only served as just another plot in his arc.
Because it played out really, really badly. Both matches were bad, Star's promos were bad, and all the momentum Pentagon had just sort of stopped. It's not just Pentagon though, on the whole I believe there were some serious missteps in LU's booking. Cage is another great example, he was booked well for about two weeks then booked awfully the rest of the year. He's supposed to be a monster, a killer, but by his fourth week in the promotion he's in random six man 's where he looks weak as can be.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Chismo wrote:But "who he was paired with" was the whole point. He squashed Massaro, Famous B, Argenis, Super Fly etc. All the jobbers. Because you can't do it to Cage, Puma and Alberto. At the end of the day he's a rudo, violent prick who picks on the weak. He got over. As far as Sexy Star thing goes, it wouldn't make sense in CZW, PWG or NXT, but LU is a totally different universe, where superhero women can be just as tough as men. As weak as the match was, at least he won and I don't really know why would anyone spend time thinking about THAT when it wasn't even an endgame and only served as just another plot in his arc.
Ehhhh... I don't remember exactly how Sexy Star was booked off the top of my head, so forgive me if I'm wrong here. Wasn't the main complaint about Pentagon losing to her more that Sexy Star hadn't been pushed as someone who was "equal" in a booking sense? By that I mean, her wins came through flash pins, distractions, etc. and not as a result of her being better than the competition for the most part.

While it might be more realistic for a smaller competitor (man or woman) to surprise or outsmart larger opponents, they kept saying one thing ("Sexy Star is a hero for girls, cuz she can hang with the boys!") while showing us another (by getting her wins through fluky means). At least that's how I remember it... I could be completely off base though, since my memory is terrible regarding these types of things.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:47 pm

BillThompson wrote:
Because it played out really, really badly. Both matches were bad, Star's promos were bad, and all the momentum Pentagon had just sort of stopped. It's not just Pentagon though, on the whole I believe there were some serious missteps in LU's booking. Cage is another great example, he was booked well for about two weeks then booked awfully the rest of the year. He's supposed to be a monster, a killer, but by his fourth week in the promotion he's in random six man 's where he looks weak as can be.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I don't want to waste my time battling hyperboles and generalization. :)