The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
van Fair

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by van Fair » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:22 pm

I liked the second half of Ultima Lucha. I had read the spoilers months ago so I knew about the reveal of Pentagons master, it came of way better that I expected though. Could actually see a Pentagon face turn coming out of that. The match was good too, but I was annoyed by the very obvious cuts in it. That being said the ending sequence felt very much like a definitive end rather than a set up for another season.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

brandonbitw

Post by brandonbitw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Watching that Vampiro/Pentagon match gave me the same sick feeling I got watching Lawler/MacDonald from UFC 189. Wicked.

kcstlchi

Post by kcstlchi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

van Fair wrote:I liked the second half of Ultima Lucha. I had read the spoilers months ago so I knew about the reveal of Pentagons master, it came of way better that I expected though. Could actually see a Pentagon face turn coming out of that. The match was good too, but I was annoyed by the very obvious cuts in it. That being said the ending sequence felt very much like a definitive end rather than a set up for another season.
It may end up being the end but I don't see how anyone could watch that sequence and not see it as set up for season two. They introduced new characters and storylines, had people vowing to get their titles back and a pretty big tip off is that it ended with "to be continued".

brandonbitw

Post by brandonbitw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Ultima Lucha should go down as one of the most epic pieces of pro wrestling storytelling ever. What a show.

Mack/Cage -****1/2 This match was special. None stop action, intensity, and VIOLENCE in this spot fest. One of the greatest falls count anywhere matches I've seen.

Trios Title Championship Match- ***1/4 Good match with an underwhelming finish IMO. Son of Havoc, Angelico, and Ivelisse have put on some great matches this season so I expected more, but was pleased with what we got.

Drago/Hernandez- ***1/2 Another good match. I thought the Believer's Backlash was an interesting stipulation, and while I don't think it hurt the match, at times I found it to be goofy. All in all, very solid match.

Mundo/El Patron - **** Very good match. While not better than there first encounter, this match was successful at setting the tone for the rest of the show.

Pentagon/Vampiro- ****1/2 My Lord. What a brutal, bloody, vicious, and relentlessly violent match. I had low expectations for these two and would have been satisfied with a *** match, but man did these guys prove me wrong. An awesome match with a clear cut story being told flawlessly. The reveal was interesting, but I do not know how I completely feel about it.

7 Luchador Gift of the Gods- **** Another great spot fest. Breathtaking moves being executed to perfection.

Blue Demon/ Texano- N/A only match that I didn't care for delivered big time. Got in, got out, in quick and painless fashion.

Puma/Muertes- ****1/2 This was a spectacle. Two polar opposite styles colliding in what ended up being a fantastic match. Mil's work as a menacing and monstrous heel is unmatched. Puma being his normal ultra athletic self was entertaining as usual. This match reminded me a lot of Lethal/Briscoe from Best in the World. The match itself was very good but what really set it apart was the overall atmosphere of anticipation, magnitude, and importance. That's what this match was. And it truly was awesome.

The cutscenes in between matches were enticing and captivating and also did a good job in cementing this show as one of the best (if not the best) shows of 2015. The final segment was amazing and gave me chills. If there is a S2 then I am unequivocally excited, and if this was the end, I am in awe and 100% thankful of LU for providing us with this experience. A definitive pro wrestling/sports entertainment experience.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Oh it's clearly intended for a second season, but that doesn't mean it'll get one.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:11 pm

Lanza...if you shit on Lucha Underground on the podcast, just preface the whole thing by saying that I told you to fuckin kill yourself.

Ultima Lucha delivered, brother.

Quentin Moody

The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by Quentin Moody » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I liked the show, no where even close to Show Of The Year status for me though. I thought the show was filled with a lot of "good", nothing "great". Overall was pretty enjoyable.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Just watched Pentagon Jr v Vampiro. That match was as close to the best aspects of ECW as anyone could want. I honestly can't get enough Pentagon Jr. The guy has as much charisma as anyone right now. He's a straight up superstar.

My only gripe with the match was Striker. He was jumping the gun a bit on putting over Vamp. Like he should have waited til a bit later in the match to anoint him into the tier of Foley, Funk, or Sabu. I think Striker kills a lot of shit by being too much of a try-hard.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:01 am

Superdeformed

Post by Superdeformed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:06 pm

I enjoyed Ultima Lucha, not the show of the year but still a good show.

I love the commentary team being completely in the dark about all the goofy backstage stuff, which I enjoy as well.

"Old man/Actually a fucking vampire Vampire/Pope" Vampiro gave the performance of the night in my opinion. Pentagon Jr. should be a monster next season if that ever happens. I loved Vampiro on color commentary, but him being Pentagon's Emperor Palpatine-esque manager could be fun.

Mil was way more over than Puma and I enjoyed their match. But yeah, Ricochet needs to lose the mask.

While I am not too optimistic, I can see this whole staying in limbo for a whole year. They can put out a DVD set or go on Netflix and drive up interest there, then maybe a Telavisa or Telemundo or Telewhatever might want to pick it up next fall?

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:28 pm

I hope this helps...I have this one already typed... this is obviously why they asked me to be here, so I’ll answer it very honestly and then you all can go back to work. Let’s break it down into parts - “If” and “when” and “where”. There is very little doubt in my mind about the “if”. I’d say its a 99.9% chance that a second season is happening. LU is a partnership, and each of the partners are committed to making season 2 happen. The “To be continued…” at the end of UltimaLucha was not just us trolling you, it was more of a promise.
The issues about money and production costs are indeed real, although vastly overstated. We didn’t spend $20 Million - not even close. El Rey is the one of the best networks I’ve ever worked with, but what they have to spend doesn’t quite cover the costs of a show like Lucha Underground. So our choices are to either 1. Raise the money from another source, or 2. Make the show cheaper.
We are currently looking for a second broadcasting partner - either a streaming service, or even an additional broadcast network. We are also aggressively going after foreign sales, sponsorships, and integration partners. Those deals take time to secure, and that is why there has been a delay in announcing an official pick-up. The “when” of this is what’s up in the air. Of course we’d like to be back on the air in October, but realistically that date is likely to push. I’d put January of 2016 as the latest date of our return.
The “where” is also being debated and is part of option 2. LA is expensive. As much as we all want to stay in Boyle Heights, we may need to investigate a different location for season 2. There are other locations with tax incentives or where resources are cheaper. Of course story-wise we can make anything work. We all saw Dario leave the temple and where he ends up is anyone’s guess.
Taken from the Reddit AMA.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Other interesting tidbits from the AMA (I'll include them in spoilers so it's not a huge wall of text):
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
And just because I chuckled:
► Show Spoiler

Max Traction

Post by Max Traction » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:13 am

That Reddit AMA stuff is super encouraging. I realized after watching Ultima Lucha how much I really have enjoyed Lucha Underground. It's been quite consistently the most watchable hour of wrestling on TV through this season. Even when it's 'bad', it's fun, or at least new—which is a virtue in itself compared to the completely rusted-on conventions and production of WWE programming.

With a couple of significant exceptions, the booking has also been excellent. At times it's even had that NJPW effect, where even when something is booked questionably and inexplicably, you can trust the bookers are doing it as a setup for an unforeseen program or angle that turns out well. I'd be turned off a bit by the last few weeks of LU TV but boy, did it all come together in Ultima Lucha—part 2 is easily going to be in my top 5 shows of the year. Also worth noting is that LU started from basically scratch about a year ago and has ended up with a roster full of good workers who are really over. What other company has established so many wrestlers so well in such a short space of time?

If (as it sounds like) they might need to be cutting costs to do a second season, the fantastical/mystical backstage segments are surely the first thing to be minimised—and they seem to have been most people's pet peeves with the show, right? And Vampiro as a dark puppet master pulling Pentagon Jr.'s strings will be a 100% turnaround from Vampiro as lame colour commentator.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:09 am

I watched the Spanish version over the weekend (I always wait for that) and man did I ever love it. The main event was my favourite match of the season with the Pentagon/Vamp match on the level of Grave Consequences just behind it.

Ricky Banderas deserves so much credit for A. how he played his role throughout the season and B. his performance in that main event where not only was he as good as ever in the role he usually plays as dominant monster but he also was on point for all of Puma's more intricate spots. He delivered such a top class all around performance.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Agreed Alan. Though I like Ricochet better as an overall worker, I thought Mil was the key to that match and he's been far and away my favorite part of that show. He played enough of a character to fit into the universe while telling solid stories throughout his matches and being the perfect "top guy" as the season comes to an end. I'm all in and hope there's a S2 just to see where he progresses.