The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RobViper13

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:09 am

Legit my only comment on tonight's lackluster, at times very dull show, is Katrina's true love is the cop who has the other half of the amulet.

Oh, and also that one line where they cut to Sexy Star in the backstage segment and she had ONE WORD to say "pero" and still made it come off as the worst acting ever. Get the fuck off my TV.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Season 3 Episode 18 - Evil Rising

Sexy Star def Mariposa ***
Vibora/Pindar/Drago def The Rabbit Tribe ** ½
Winner Gets to Choose the Stipulation for Their Title Match: Johnny Mundo def The Mack ***

Best Vignette: The Rabbit Tribe thinks that Mascarita Sagrada is their Rabbit God

Most Ridiculous Commentary Moments: “Here lies Paul London. May he rest…in power.” (Matt Striker)

“Ah, hey, hold on a second. That big forearm to the back of the Mack – he’s had that, he’s gotten beat down by police batons and homeless people fighting him for food in the garbage cans. That little flimsy forearm isn’t gonna help too much.” (Vampiro)

“I will give some advice to Johnny Mundo. Spend a night on the streets. Even get arrested on the weekend. Now that might sound kind of strange, but go to jail. Put some time in with real people, because you’re going up against a warrior of a different kind of fight my friend.” (Vampiro)

All of my wrestling fan energy this past week went to New Japan, so I had a hard time getting pumped up for an episode that I knew had another Sexy Star match on it, in a season that has had way, way too much Sexy Star in it. Maybe it's just low expectations talking, but I actually thought her match was pretty good, and easily the best thing she's been involved with all season. I credit most of that to Mariposa, who has actually been having a low-key good in-ring season even though her character is still really stupid. I loved when she swung Sexy Star repeatedly head first into that table.

I was disappointed when the Rabbit Tribe were originally introduced to the Temple and just turned out to be comic relief guys after their intro vignettes made them look more sinister, but after this episode I'm actually really enjoying their act. I thought the skit with Mascarita Sagrada was hilarious, and I like their habit of tagging two people in at once. They definitely have a unique gimmick. I was less impressed by Pindar and Vibora, which is a shame since it looks like they along with Kobra Moon will be going after the Trios Titles, so I hope that they improve soon.

The Mundo/Mack match was solid, and it makes sense that Mundo's character would think that The Mack doesn't have the stamina for an All Night Long match. My favorite Lucha Underground match to date was the All Night Long match that Mundo and Puma had in season 1, and while Mack isn't nearly the worker that Puma is I'm still excited to see what the two can do with the gimmick.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:57 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Legit my only comment on tonight's lackluster, at times very dull show, is Katrina's true love is the cop who has the other half of the amulet.

Oh, and also that one line where they cut to Sexy Star in the backstage segment and she had ONE WORD to say "pero" and still made it come off as the worst acting ever. Get the fuck off my TV.
Always thought it was meant to be Fenix.

--

Any time I check in on LU...it seems the show gets worse.

Dinosaur Tribe might be the jumping of the shark...idk.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:24 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Dinosaur Tribe might be the jumping of the shark...idk.
If anything, the Sexy Star title win was the shark jump.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:
Combine them both and...

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:08 am

ScorpioCorp wrote:
YES. Sexy Star being the face of the promotion has been a huge drag on the show this year. It feels like she is the only wrestler, aside from maybe Johnny Mundo, who has had a clear and consistent creative direction this season, and the quality of her work definitely does not warrant the level of her push. Meanwhile Pentagon Jr. disappears for weeks at a time, Son of Havoc kind of floats around and occasionally appears as Mascarita Sagrada's friend, Prince Puma and Mil Muertes are endlessly feuding around the margins of the show when they aren't involved in muddled and seemingly unrelated stories involving Catrina/Vampiro/Jeremiah Crane, the Trios Champions are feuding with Kobra Moon and her goons who look like the henchmen from the Super Mario Bros movie, and Dragon Azteca is maybe feuding with either Pentagon or Matanza but who can remember because we haven't seen them in weeks. We are still getting some good matches and fun vignettes here and there, but this is definitely the weakest and most frustrating season from a creative standpoint.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:25 am

Personally I love the snake people thing. Is it campy? Yeah. Of course. They're billed from "When Reptiles Ruled The Earth" for goodness sake. But I don't watch Lucha for the serious storytelling. If I wanted that I'd watch a New Japan show. I watch Lucha for wack storylines that involve crazy shit like ghosts, zombies, snake people, power gauntlets, ect and awesome Lucha Libre. It's campy, and it certainly isn't perfect, but that's why I love it.

In agreement about Sexy Star though. If I don't have to ever see her get carried through another medicore match it wouldn't be soon enough. I'm absolutely sick of her.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:55 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:Personally I love the snake people thing. Is it campy? Yeah. Of course. They're billed from "When Reptiles Ruled The Earth" for goodness sake. But I don't watch Lucha for the serious storytelling. If I wanted that I'd watch a New Japan show. I watch Lucha for wack storylines that involve crazy shit like ghosts, zombies, snake people, power gauntlets, ect and awesome Lucha Libre. It's campy, and it certainly isn't perfect, but that's why I love it.

In agreement about Sexy Star though. If I don't have to ever see her get carried through another medicore match it wouldn't be soon enough. I'm absolutely sick of her.
Agree about the reptiles. I actually enjoyed the match they had with the Rabbit Tribe. I thought it was good fun & the best part of the episode.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:51 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:Personally I love the snake people thing. Is it campy? Yeah. Of course. They're billed from "When Reptiles Ruled The Earth" for goodness sake. But I don't watch Lucha for the serious storytelling. If I wanted that I'd watch a New Japan show. I watch Lucha for wack storylines that involve crazy shit like ghosts, zombies, snake people, power gauntlets, ect and awesome Lucha Libre. It's campy, and it certainly isn't perfect, but that's why I love it.

I'm all about dinosaurs wrestling each other...but women?

Toma

Post by Toma » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:41 am

That's what I have been thinking about Lucha Underground for sometimes now: storylines are often ridiculous but it's the charm of it. The costume of the dinosaurs are cheap and ugly but that's what makes it funny. The lightings around Cage once he wore the glove were badly done but it made me smile.
In France we talk about "nanar" for movies that are bad, ridiculous and becomes funny because of that and that's the case for Lucha Underground's storylines and segments. Once you have detached yourself enough of what you are watching to find Sexy Star's acting hilarous, Lucha Underground becomes an easier and far more pleasant watch.
Never forget what else the channel air and who created this channel.

Is it bad in the long term for the product? Probably as I am not taking anything seriously and, once I am tired of laughing of Dragon Azteca Jr's costume or Sexy Star's acting, I will stop watching the show.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 am

As for tonight's episode... well... it was TNA. If you slap the TNA logo on the show and do the exact same thing with a guy doing a Stone Cold ripoff gimmick, two different prop spots, a lame angle where a guy has a glove with special powers AND TAKES IT OFF BEFORE THE MATCH, an in-ring promo that dragged on and on and on and focused on a fan the average viewer has no clue about, a comedy act causing a screwy finish in the opener & ending with a poorly acted campy skit... TNA would be absolutely destroyed. But it's Lucha Underground so we're supposed to give it a pass. I don't. I hated the show start to finish.

But good news everyone: They found time to give Sexy Star her shine & more time to act on a show she didn't even have a match. Cool.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:22 am

Season 3 Episode 19 - Gods Among Men

Texano def Joey Ryan **
Cage def Veneno (aka Cortez Castro undercover) SQUASH
Death Match: Matanza def El Dragon Azteca ***

This was not the best episode to head into a sudden and obviously unplanned for mid-season hiatus with. This was mostly bland and generic. The main event was a decent spectacle, and the slam through the bleachers looked cool, but it wasn't anything we haven't seen on Lucha Underground before, and there really wasn't enough of a feud between Matanza and El Dragon Azteca to warrant the death match stipulation. To be honest, while I respect Rey Mysterio as an all-time great and I think that Matanza/Jeff Cobb is a really good worker, I have very little interest in their feud. I kind of wish that Rey had passed the torch to Prince Puma back at Ultima Lucha II and then retired. I'm not confident that I will even remember that this feud is going on by the time the show returns in the summer.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:01 am

What a weak way to end this half of the season. couldn't give a shit about Texano before, and I don't give a shit now that he's seemingly with Famous B. Cage squashing dudes is fun, and I hate myself for it but I am really into the "who's sending Spiders to Sexy Star schtick". And that "Death Match" was just bad. A chair and a chokeslam through the stairs? The Chokeslam was pretty sick, credit to that, but that match was incredibly weak. And Matanza legit looked like he was shoving fans down, that was cool too. And I really don't care about the Rey/Matanza stuff. It makes sense why Matanza wants to kill Rey, yeah, but I just can't get into it. And I'm extremely interested in this Mariposa/Marty angle. Overall, I was really disappointed in this show, and I'm not excited at all to have to wait 6+ months for more Lucha.

Jamie797

Post by Jamie797 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:11 pm

Six months ? That's a long time. Maybe they are gonna just stop it completely. Shame . the show was awesome at times

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Dave said it all on today's WOR how I feel about Lucha Underground.

So upset its not on UniMas anymore too.