The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
King Of Indy Style

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:14 am

What a weird episode, in the best possible way. Didn't expect Jeremiah to win, and I certainly didn't expect PJ to win his match. I was certain Angelico would have won. With Black pinning Evans, I almost think that Black wins the tournament to finalize Worldwide Underground breaking up, and Mundo vs. Black would be a fun new matchup. And Sexy Star and the Spider was a weird, but interesting little tidbit.

As for Drago vs. Kobra Moon.......just wow. Kobra Moon is the drizzling shits, but that wouldn't be what people talked about. I don't know what others thought but the debut of Moon's....henchmen was great! Kobra is terrible and I'm not as big on Drago as I am with Aerostar and Fenix, but LU made me care about them with this.

Really enjoyed this episode overall. Some really great wrestling in the BotB matches, some shocking results and some killer storyline development.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:25 am

DAREWOLF YOU ARE A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING & FRIEND. GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Two awesome four-ways. How is Jack still alive? He landed on NOTHING. Well, the ground. Which is nothing. HOW ARE YOU ALIVE, JACK? Angelico's bump a second later into the fencing was almost as brutal. I did like the opener better overall though.

LUCHASAURUS ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The only thing missing was Giant Silva or Giant Gonzalez in the role. Great debut for him & Pindar... unless you're Drago. In which case you're fucked. Aero Star vs Pindar better be coming to my TV soon!

The Worldwide Underground skit was hilarious with the mocking of WWE style segments & Rey is alive so that's always good news.

The only bad thing was Sexy Star's "acting". I hope they eventually release DVD sets and by that point she's on bad enough terms they leave on her outtakes because if the final product is that bad, I can't even begin to imagine how great the ones they can't use are.

Excellent show.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:02 am

Season 3 Episode 15 - En Las Sombras

Battle of the Bulls: Jeremiah Crane def Mariposa, Killshot, and Dante Fox ****
Drago def Kobra Moon via DQ...no rating, basically more of an in-ring skit than a match
Battle of the Bulls: PJ Black def Jack Evans, Son of Havoc, and Angelico *** ½

Goofiest Moment on Commentary: “Oh man, he had Jack bent over like a soft taco full of hot beef and cheese on a Sunday afternoon” (Vampiro being unnecessarily detailed)

This was a really strong episode. The two Battle of the Bulls matches really blew away the solid but forgettable ones from last week, and the opener might actually be my favorite match of the season so far. That Tower of Doom onto the chairs was fucking insane. I don't really understand how Killshot is still alive. The superplex to the outside in the main event was similarly ridiculous. My only complaint is that the lineup for the Battle of the Bulls final - Cage vs. The Mack vs. Jeremiah Crane vs. PJ Black - isn't particularly exciting, since Cage seems like the only one of the four who could credibly hold a promotion's top title, and we've already seen him vs. Mundo plenty of times.

Also, is it weird if I actually kind of like Kobra Moon now? She's still not very good in the ring, and her outfit is stupid, but I like her being positioned as this sort of reptile queen a lot better than I liked her being infatuated with Daga last season.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:22 pm

I've totally checked out on LU at the moment...I'll binge what I've missed in due time...but caught last night...

da fuck is up with the Snakes? Lookin Land of the Lost af.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Season 3 Episode 16 - The Battle of the Bulls

Battle of the Bulls: The Mack def Cage, PJ Black, and Jeremiah Crane ** ½
Cage Match for the Lucha Underground Championship: Johnny Mundo (c) def Sexy Star *

Goofiest Moment on Commentary: “Superior athleticism. Conceited. These are just two words that come to mind when that man (PJ Black) appears on your screen.” (Those are three words, Matt Striker)

Weak episode. The 4-way started out fun with some impressive spots by Cage, but the last couple falls felt really rushed, especially considering that this was only a 2 match show. And I've kind of soured on The Mack. I liked him better when he was a high flying fat guy and not a Stone Cold Steve Austin cosplayer who is also Sexy Star's best friend. I sincerely hope this is the last we see of Sexy Star in heavyweight title main events. I used to not mind her that much but being in long main event matches really exposes how awkward and shitty she is. I love Johnny Mundo, but it's really weird that he's been featured in every cage match on Lucha Underground so far, since the gimmick really does not suit his style. This one was pretty much just two people trying to run up a cage and getting stopped over and over again, which was so boring. I did kind of like the ending with Johnny winning by ripping off Sexy's mask, but otherwise this was a terrible main event.

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:05 pm

What are the must watch, essential LU matches from this year? Thanks

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:58 pm

(this year as "air date", so Season 2 and what's aired of Season 3 so far. Most of this stuff they posted to YouTube)

Mil Muertes vs Prince Puma vs Pentagón Jr. for the Lucha Underground title

Mil Muertes vs Fénix for the Lucha Underground title

Sexy Star vs Mariposa in a no mas match

Rey Mysterio vs Prince Puma

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:24 am

Observer:
The item noted last week regarding no tapings until the fall of 2017 has led to a lot of frustration. The talent had kept weekend dates free starting in February, or if they had dates, many had canceled them, and now they have to get new bookings for February, March and April. The frustration is that after all these years, they haven’t broken out, it’s only seasonal work, but those seven season contracts which, except for a few people aren’t high dollar deals, are keeping everyone from exploring working in places like WWE, New Japan and ROH. There is top talent who are trying to see if they can legally get themselves free from the deals and explore working elsewhere. Most of the talent is still happy this company is still around because it’s a regular paycheck in season (with the exception of guys like Rey Mysterio who are on guaranteed annual big money deals, most talent is paid per television show they are on at the time the show is taped). But the hope was that by this point they’d be more of a force, be huge in the Hispanic community (in fact, they still don’t have a Spanish language outlet after having it in season one and thus are seen by far fewer than at the start of the promotion with the 200,000 to 250,000 viewers weekly in season one on Unimas), there would be house shows and people would be making merchandise money.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:05 pm

El Rey suddenly declaring 01/11 as the midseason finale is weird, frustrating and probably connected to pushing the tapings back.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:02 am

Season 3 Episode 17 - The Gauntlet

Jeremiah Crane def Mil Muertes - more of an angle than a match
Jack Evans & PJ Black def Angelico & Son of Havoc ** ½
Matches 4 and 5 in the Ultimate Opportunity Series: Cage (3) def Texano (2) *** ½

Most Disappointing Vignette Ever: Dario Cueto's Ultimate Opportunity is a Coal Miner's Glove

Way back when the show originally suggested that the Ultimate Opportunity that Cage and Texano were fighting for was for one of them to become some sort of God I remember being excited to see what sort of crazy angle this wacky show had up its sleeve. Then this series of matches was seemingly forgotten about for months on end (I don't remember offhand when the third match took place, but it seems like it was a really long time ago). I thought the series of matches rebounded pretty decently with the well-executed brawl(s) that Cage and Texano had here. But then the post-credits segment where Cage collected his prize was so lame. So the guy who is already an unstoppable strong force now has a glove that allows him to be...an unstoppable strong force. Maybe this will somehow seem interesting when Cage actually uses the glove in the ring, but I'm not holding my breath.

Shame that Angelico got injured so quickly after coming back. That tag match seemed like it was going to be really fun before the injuries.
Last edited by Frank Olson on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:06 am

thecubsfan wrote:El Rey suddenly declaring 01/11 as the midseason finale is weird, frustrating and probably connected to pushing the tapings back.
Has there been any indication how long the hiatus will be? I don't get El Rey and keep up with the series through iTunes, and the announcement of a midseason finale wasn't included there. I assume that the rest of the season has been taped already so that does seem bizarre that they are suddenly doing a midseason break.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:05 am

Are we sure the glove isn't just the way that mystery demon overlord person can just take over his body? I thought that was the implication. So when Cage put it on, Cage ceased to exist as we know him. He's now that demon overlord dude. They were talking about a "host body" a few episodes ago.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Are we sure the glove isn't just the way that mystery demon overlord person can just take over his body? I thought that was the implication. So when Cage put it on, Cage ceased to exist as we know him. He's now that demon overlord dude. They were talking about a "host body" a few episodes ago.
You are probably right that the idea is supposed to be that Cage's body is now a host for the demon overlord guy, but that concept was very clumsily executed in the cut scene. I also feel like if Cage just comes out to the ring with a glove and no other changes to his look that that would fall very flat with the live audience who haven't seen the backstage skits. I don't know, I guess I should wait to see how it plays out before I shit all over it, but I was not impressed with how the Ultimate Opportunity was presented in this week's episode. My guess is that Cage will show up during or after the Mundo/Mack title match (since he's feuded with both of them in the past and also you would assume that the demon overlord has designs on the LU Title), so hopefully we get a good idea of what Cage's direction will be going forward then.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:22 am

Match 5 of the series was pretty strong, but this episode was my least favorite in awhile. Actually, I haven't really been into the last two episodes after a very good run the month or two prior.

I'm interested to see how long the break ends up being. Weird..

Btw, I hate to see Angelico injured again. He's been one of my favorites since he debuted.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:07 am

Willie Mack vs. Johhny Mundo in what's essentially going to be a 60 Minute Iron Man. Fuck yes. Bummed about Lucha going away though. Hopefully not for long.