The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Frank Olson

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:27 am

Season 3 Episode 11 - Aztec Warfare III

Sexy Star wins Aztec Warfare ****

Most obvious audience plants of all time: the group of women hugging each other after Sexy Star won

I'm kind of glad that I had Sexy Star winning the title spoiled for me ahead of time (I was vaguely aware months ago of people saying that Lucha Underground had made a really stupid creative decision and thought that her winning the title might be it, and then saw people commenting on it on Twitter before I had the chance to watch the episode since I don't get El Rey and keep up through Itunes). I think it might have hurt my enjoyment of that match if I hadn't already prepared myself for the disappointment of her winning the title. I actually think that the way that they did the title switch came off pretty well, but I hope it's the kind of title reign where she loses in her first defense. I don't want to sit through a bunch of shit main events like that one she had with Johnny Mundo a couple of episodes ago (and considering that he's one of the most talented and versatile wrestlers on the roster, I figure it's only downhill from there).

But even for those who can't stand the way the match ended there was a lot to be entertained by throughout the rest of the match. The opening stretch with Matanza/Mundo/Havoc/Crane/Pentagon was a lot of fun, Jack Evans doing his insane variation of the Space Flying Tiger Drop while still wearing his entrance gear was awesome, the debut of the Black Lotus Triad was really well executed, Angelico's dive from the balcony to the ring to get revenge on the Worldwide Underground was amazing, Mascarita Sagrada crotch chopping on the way down the ramp before immediately getting pinned was tremendous, and everybody hitting their finishers on Matanza to put him away was a nice contrast to his absolute domination in the previous Aztec Warfare.

gpusa

Post by gpusa » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:30 pm

I loved Aztec Warfare with the major exception of Sexy Star winning. This promotion really knows how to book a battle royal to make it very interesting throughout. The first section had a lot of action and great comedy up through the Triads debuting and attacking Pentagon. Everybody getting their finishers on Matanza for Rey to finish him off was really good, and actually got me to jump up when Rey pinned him. I'll always pop for Angelico doing that ridiculous dive, so him returning and getting revenge on Worldwide Underground was great.

Then Sexy Star won :(

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:00 am

Fox/Killshot was pure madness. So many death bumps. That backflip off the apron/Tiger Mask ropeflip spot was to die for! Need it gif'ed on a loop! Opener was pretty fun too and sets up some stuff going forward. I like the new group, especially their look. The constant drug references on commentary will wear on me eventually.

The main event was predictably terrible. Not sure why you give her the belt just to take it off her like that. Also unsure why the announcers had to pretend it wasn't Taya when I thought that was obvious right away. Just a very flat ending but whatever. Hopefully they keep Sexy Star/Taya feuding forever and out of the way of the rest of the show.

Kinda curious what would happen if I was there live and countered Johnny Puto chants with Sexy Slut chants.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:20 am

In the wake of Trump squashing Hillary...the result of Aztec Warfare is really funny. Don't ask me why...it just is.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:35 am

I don't want to steal his thought so I'll give full credit to thecubsfan... he suggested it's quite possible they had timed last week's episode airing to coincide with Hilary's win which would have been predicted by anyone back when this was taped in March.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:17 am

I liked this episode, but I'll just skip to the Main Event. I had no issue with Star winning, and I don't dislike her as much as others do. Her win was a feel-good moment. However they did the right thing having Mundo win. He's on another level with his LU run. Awesome match after awesome match and his character stuff is on point. Taya's awfulness doesn't even drag him down. He may be on one of the best runs of his career.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:32 am

RobViper13 wrote:I don't want to steal his thought so I'll give full credit to thecubsfan... he suggested it's quite possible they had timed last week's episode airing to coincide with Hilary's win which would have been predicted by anyone back when this was taped in March.
My guess wasn't right, but they were on the same wavelength. On one of the podcasts DeJospeh was on, he mentioned other writer Chris Roach realized the Sexy Star win was going to air a week after the election after the episodes started airing, and wished they had timed it to be the day after instead. It didn't seem like they knew exactly when these would be airing when they were finishing off the episodes.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Season 3 Episode 12 - Every Woman is Sexy, Every Woman is a Star

Trios Championship: Fenix/Drago/Aerostar (c) def The Rabbit Tribe ***
Dante Fox def Killshot ****
Lucha Underground Championship: Johnny Mundo def Sexy Star (c) **

So...that Sexy Star title run turned out to be much ado about nothing. Overall I'm glad that we won't have to sit through a bunch of crappy main event singles matches with her. But having her lose the title immediately after winning it in fluky fashion doesn't really help with the narrative that she's an inspirational female hero.

The Fox and Killshot match was awesome, probably my favorite match of the season so far. So many cool spots, from the weird Shooting Star variation that Fox did, to the neckbreaker from the apron to the floor, to the Attitude Adjustment from the top rope to the apron. I'm not generally a huge fan of Killshot/Shane Strickland, and I'm not very familiar with AR Fox/Dante Fox, but they really have something with this feud, and I can only imagine that the eventual blowoff match will top this one.

The Trios Title match was solid, but I'm a little disappointed that the Rabbit Tribe are already basically just a comedy team. After the introductory vignettes I figured they would be going for more of a menacing tone. I still think they are unique and interesting characters, but they are definitely not what I was expecting.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:01 am

With as little buzz as LU gets these days, I thought I'd weigh-in and say that this week's episode was one of the best in a long time.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 am

FUCKING. AMAZING.

So violent, so brutal, without using any garbage spots or blood. That's how you do it! My first exposure to those Stardom girls and they blew me away, especially Hitokiri. They dished it out just as well as they took it and boy oh boy did they fucking take it! Those dropkicks... the lawn darts into the chairs... the superkicks... the package piledriver... Wow. All of it. Wow.

Told a great show long story too since when Pentagon lost it didn't really hurt him & then it tied into him getting what was coming to him with all the arm breaking.

Fuck these people who cried about sexism when everyone was rightfully shitting all over Sexy Star winning. How do you watch these 3 women perform & then have any credibility left in defending the talentless & worthless Sexy Star? If you're talented, that's all that really matters, nobody notices your gender or race or whatever. If you're not, well you're gonna get shit when people see through an undeserving person being gift-wrapped something & a company trying to sell this person as a hero to a generation.

One of the best episodes of LU in quite a while.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:55 am

Awesome episode. I'm ready to see the Triad vs. Fenix/Drago/Aerostar and as champions already. Fan-fucking-tastic.

JamieOD

Post by JamieOD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Fantastic episode but not one for those who dislike intergender wrestling. I know the Stardom Three are all great wrestlers but their performances here was lightyears ahead of the other women on the show. Not just from the moves and selling but their confidence and character portrayals shone through. Doku/Hojo showed she had a high threshold for pain, Yurei/Iwatani is the smallest of the three yet still came across as a sadistic force against Pentagon and Hidokiri/Shirai was a combination of both characteristics. She then did that massive dive from the balcony without hesitation. The only gripe I had with the episode was Vampiro going on the verge of orgasm whenever the matches got violent. With his gimmick and history with Pentagon I get what he was trying to do but it was still annoying.

In a perfect world this season of LU would have featured more from the Stardom girls and also Night Claw but we don't live in that world.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:16 am

Season 3 Episode 13 - Breaker of Bones

Gauntlet Match: The Black Lotus Triad def Pentagon Dark *** ½
Melissa Santos' Dress **** ½
Best Vignette: Matanza uses his bloody knuckles to pound a red question mark into the wall

I always enjoy when Lucha Underground does these episode-long matches (I suppose you could say that this was technically three matches and an in-ring angle, but I basically thought of it as one long match with a few breaks between falls). I thought this episode did a good job overcoming a lot of the shows usual pitfalls in presenting intergender wrestling. Usually there is a weird disconnect between what the producers of the show apparently want us to think (that the women in the show's supernatural universe are just as strong as the men) and what actually happens in the ring (the women are easily overpowered by the much stronger men). But in this case the announcers didn't make a big deal about this being an intergender match, and it was just presented as a battle between equals. It helps that the wrestlers that they brought in from Stardom are far more talented than the usual female wrestlers on the show. My only issue was that the strikes of the first two female wrestlers were absurdly weak compared to Pentagon's very vicious looking offense, but they did a good job making up for that in the third part of the match, which I would say was one of the better anything-goes brawls on a show that has had a ton of anything-goes brawls. Cool idea for an episode, and a nice change of pace in a season that has otherwise been disproportionately focused on Sexy Star.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:50 am

Season 3 Episode 14 - Bulls of Boyle Heights

Battle of the Bulls: Cage def Texano, Joey Ryan, and Dr. Wagner ***
Sexy Star def PJ Black ** ½
Battle of the Bulls: The Mack def Mil Muertes, Marty the Moth, and El Dragon Azteca ***

Actual Things That Matt Striker Said:
“As Texano calls Dr. Love, there is no answer on the other line. Almost got kissed with a superkick there. Detroit rock city, Joey Ryan my friend!”
“He is the cold-hearted Casanova, PJ Black’’
“Thank you for the image of a dried-up umbilical cord buried in the ground, Vampiro”
“What kind of minestrone of masochism do we have coming your way?”

This was kind of a low-key episode (as evidenced by the fact that nobody has commented in this thread in the past week), but I thought it was mostly enjoyable. Nothing was amazing, but the Battle of the Bulls tournament matches were fun, PJ Black did a better job carrying Sexy Star than Johnny Mundo did, and there was some good variety in the cinematic vignettes.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:36 pm

I feel like LU has been on a pretty good roll the last month or so. I've pretty much enjoyed every episode lately, and thank goodness Mundo won the LU Title the week after Sexy Star won it. He's extremely deserving of that title as one of the LU originals who has been great since day one.

The Triad/Pentagon episode was just amazing, and I'm glad I got to sit down and watch it. For people who don't mind intergender wrestling and are interested in LU, this match personifies the organization perfectly!

Lastly, I'm happy to see The Mack get some respect this past week!